• Page:

TOPIC:

need help 03 Aug 2008 18:01 #229939

• jus1975
  • jus1975's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • www.tripleaperformance.com
  • Thank you received: 0
73 Z1 electrical system. I need a picture of the side cover on the right side. It looks as if there is something missing. And I don't know what is what. It looks as if some rigging has happened somewhere done the line. And I'm not getting any spark from the coils to the plugs. But I would like to put everything back to normal before I start troublshooting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

need help 03 Aug 2008 19:18 #229970

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
This is under the righthand side cover of 1973 Z1.

There's a slightly closer view in the following post.

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

need help 03 Aug 2008 19:20 #229971

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
This is under the righthand side cover of 1973 Z1.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image for larger view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

need help 03 Aug 2008 19:44 #229979

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
jus1975 wrote:

... not getting any spark from the coils to the plugs. But I would like to put everything back to normal before I start troublshooting.

For a coil to function, it must be supplied with battery positive voltage. On the Z1, each coil is supposed to receive battery positive voltage from a dual connector underneath the fuel tank (red/yellow wire).

The coil located on the bike's lefthand side (on the gearshift side) also has a black wire to its other terminal. The black wire originates from the lefthand side points under the engine points cover located on the footbrake side. The two large sparkplug wires from the lefthand coil attach to the outside sparkplugs.

The coil located on the bike's righthand side (on the footbrake side) also has a green wire to its other terminal. The green wire originates from the righthand side points under the engine points cover. The two large sparkplug wires on the righthand side coil attach to the inside sparkplugs.

Question -- With the ignition switch in the "on" position, is battery positive voltage being supplied to each coil through the red/yellow wires? :unsure:
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

need help 03 Aug 2008 20:27 #229995

• jus1975
  • User
I haven't started troubleshooting yet. I will check that later. But thanks for the picture. I am missing somethings. I just hope I can find the parts. I haven't seen any reproduction parts that I need and the Kawasaki.com doesn't list the stock numbers so I guess they are no longer available.

need help 03 Aug 2008 22:56 #230014

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Check here...

www.z1enterprises.com/

Take some time and look around...well worth it,and there ARE a lot of reproduction parts available.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

need help 04 Aug 2008 07:10 #230044

• jus1975
  • User
I tried them. They didn't have it. I have know idea what and where to go to get what I need.

need help 04 Aug 2008 08:20 #230056

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
jus1975 wrote:

... am missing somethings. I just hope I can find the parts. I haven't seen any reproduction parts that I need and the Kawasaki.com doesn't list the stock numbers so I guess they are no longer available.

... tried [Z1E]. They didn't have it.

What part did Z1E not have?

What "things" are missing?

What "parts" are being sought?

What "reproduction parts" need to be seen?

What part name is shown by kawasaki.com without a part number?

What actually is underneath the righthand side cover?

Am thinking every Z1 part is shown on kawasaki.com, if searched in the appropriate parts diagram area of the site, regardless of current availability.

It's easy to temporarily power the coils by running a hot wire from the battery positive terminal to the coil terminals. If the battery is charged, the coils should function with the hotwire and "nothing" underneath the right side cover, and regardless of any other missing or malfunctioning electrical parts. This presupposes proper functioning of the points and connections for the black and green wires as earlier described. In order for the sparkplugs to spark, connections and wires from the coils to the plugs must be okay, and the sparkplugs capable of sparking.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

need help 04 Aug 2008 11:25 #230120

• jus1975
  • User
I haven't started troubleshooting yet. But i just want to clean up the electrical side of things first. None of the connectors are there and the flasher relay and thing beside the flasher relay are missing. If you go on the kawasaki website and look it shows the parts but doesn't not show the parts numbers. I have looked but cant find them not any reproduction parts.

need help 04 Aug 2008 12:54 #230139

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
jus1975 wrote:

... None of the connectors are there and the flasher relay and thing beside the flasher relay are missing. If you go on the kawasaki website and look it shows the parts but doesn't not show the parts numbers. I have looked but cant find them not any reproduction parts.

The kawasaki.com parts diagram for Z1 "chassis electrical" is indeed skimpy. The KZ900 diagram shows more part numbers and names (which might be somewhat helpful in at least knowing some of the names), but the KZ900 harness is different from the Z1, such as KZ900 connectors being under the left sidecover.

Z1E lists the Z1 wiring harness
[click here] > Z1 wiring harness from Z1E

and also a variety of connectors
[click here] > wiring fittings and connectors from Z1E

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

need help 04 Aug 2008 13:48 #230146

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Patton,

Just have to say I'm impressed if those are pictures of your electrical panel. Nice and clean!

need help 04 Aug 2008 22:37 #230243

• jus1975
  • User
I'll try to post some pics so we can compare.

• Page: