Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'79 KZ650 charging/electrical problems are driving me crazy 03 Sep 2008 07:26 #235278

• jccwall
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
agreed, replacing all connectors will be time consuming,
what did you do requarding the multi prog hard shell connectors? am finding most of them on this bike are weathered and crumbling. iow replace the whole hard shell and source for them or just replace all hard shells with individuals connectors? seems a lot easier to replace connectors instead of going thru and trying to clean them all. all iknow if im going to the effort of replaceing all connectors seems wise to secure them all in shrink tube while im at it. i know it will make disconnecting in the future a pain but will insulate all the "weak points" in the system as well.

thoughts?
jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'79 KZ650 charging/electrical problems are driving me crazy 04 Sep 2008 05:22 #235414

• bemoore
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I haven't replaced my connectors yet. For the hard shell connectors, I just gooped them up with dielectric grease, then plugged and unplugged them about 10 times. They seem to be working ok now. But mine aren't weathered and crumbling. I think most of my problems are in my bullet connectors, and they're still not too bad. The bike runs pretty well, and the lights are bright, so I'm having trouble motivating myself to replace them.
77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

'79 KZ650 charging/electrical problems are driving me crazy 04 Sep 2008 14:29 #235504

• seanof30306
  • seanof30306's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
bemoore wrote:

I haven't replaced my connectors yet. For the hard shell connectors, I just gooped them up with dielectric grease, then plugged and unplugged them about 10 times. They seem to be working ok now. But mine aren't weathered and crumbling. I think most of my problems are in my bullet connectors, and they're still not too bad. The bike runs pretty well, and the lights are bright, so I'm having trouble motivating myself to replace them.

Thanks for your help.

What I'm still not getting is how to identify the cause of the bike having eaten 3 regulators in under 1000 miles.
"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing