Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Eliminating waste (spark) 15 Jun 2008 07:49 #220142

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
  • Thank you received: 0
It can be done several ways! Most cars do it using a distributor that turns at half engine speed (camshaft speed) or, coil-on-plug devices use a cam and crank andgle sensor to determine which plug to fire(and when).

It could be done on a KZ650 by knowing two things - the crank angle (possible from the points), and the cam angle (you could do this with a proximity detector on a cam lobe). Then you just need a computer to determine which plug to fire, engine speed and amount of advance - not particularly difficult!
Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Eliminating waste (spark) 15 Jun 2008 07:51 #220143

• Virii
  • Virii's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
  • Thank you received: 1

i've thought of doing it myself but i can't build up the courage to spend 300 bucks for a kit and fuel railings and such.

Pretty much where I'm at. ;) I'd love to play with it but really, my controller doesn't have to be that smart at this point.

In fact, I'm thinking thati If I use four coils and reference either camshaft orientation or a set of sensors to detirmine what each exhaust valve is doing, then it seems that all I really need the controller to do is act as a solid state relay. The rest of the ignition system could stay in tact.

I'm excited, this might actually work :woohoo:
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Eliminating waste (spark) 15 Jun 2008 08:25 #220149

• dnpurdy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Couldn't you also use an optical pickup on the crackshaft and then program the ignitor accordingly?
(1980 KZ440-A1 sold project bike)
(1982 KZ750-N1 still stolen)
1982 KZ750-N1, my only now

Eliminating waste (spark) 15 Jun 2008 23:06 #220265

• Makarth
  • User
i just thought of something that might work but i cant figure out how to make the timing advance. I was thinking have a pick up in the valve cover that makes a magnetic signal for an ignitor or something. i just thought of something... could use the oem advancer with another pickup and have a basic logic controller to anticipate the next cylinder and use the advancer signal to ignite the coild that's next inline

i guess a sudo code would be (with count being cylinder #)

count = 1
if advancer = 1
fire count
count + 1
else when cam one = 1
fire count
count + 1
if advancer = 1
fire count
count + 1
else when cam two = 1
fire count
count + 1

:woohoo:
don't rag too hard on my lack of c++ literacy. basically i would make a counting system to keep track of what cylinder to fire and the advancer or cam lobe would fire the counted cylinder and add to the counter and continue to the next cylinder. although now that i think about it you could just use a dyna s or similar and use a counting system for that and then you wouldnt need a separate trigger for advance and timing.

all pretty complicated though. i think "suppressing" the waste spark would take too much though.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Eliminating waste (spark) 16 Jun 2008 14:21 #220368

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
I think somebody invented a gadget that would provide spark to the plugs only on the compression stroke... called it a "distributor" if I recall....:laugh:

Low tech mechanical device.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Eliminating waste (spark) 16 Jun 2008 18:21 #220403

• Makarth
  • User
bountyhunter wrote:

I think somebody invented a gadget that would provide spark to the plugs only on the compression stroke... called it a "distributor" if I recall....:laugh:

Low tech mechanical device.

lol i know but it's fun just to think of something homemade.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

• Page: