Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

is it bad... 06 Sep 2007 12:44 #169008

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
jack2006 wrote:

I would look at the underlying problem, and fix it. Might cost you a bit of time and frustration but in the long run it might be better than just patching it up with a charger.

I agree.

If not already done, would measure voltage across battery terminals with engine running. Should be 12-13 volts at idle speed, and 14-15 volts at 4-5000 rpm. This basically reveals whether the battery is receiving charging voltage during the ride. If this checks out okay, it might just be a bad battery. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

is it bad... 06 Sep 2007 14:47 #169029

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Constant heavy recharging is not so good, but I think it's worse to let the battery discharge. Deep cycle or marine batteries are made to drain and recharge, but m/c batteries aren't. Best keep the voltage up at all times. 'Til you can diagnose and fix your charging system, you're gonna eat some batteries.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

is it bad... 06 Sep 2007 15:29 #169037

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
ltrider is right.

Deep cycle batteries are more expensive to make and are used when the extra reliability/quality asset outweighs the extra cost, such as with marine applications and such.

In cars and bikes, we can afford to cut corners and use batteries that do not tolerate full (deep) discharge recharge cycles as readily.

You'll likely eat some batteries.
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

• Page: