Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'81 750H - turn signal wiring troubleshooting 27 Sep 2007 04:18 #173130

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Btw, does bike start right up using the electric starter? Would indicate battery being okay. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'81 750H - turn signal wiring troubleshooting 27 Sep 2007 16:55 #173232

• psychbiker
  • psychbiker's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, sort of! :blush:

If the temps are reasonable warm (> 60 F) then yes.

Below that, it takes come cranking and throttle pumping, but then it will start, yes.

'81 750H - turn signal wiring troubleshooting (NEW diagnostic info!) 04 Oct 2007 02:41 #174481

• psychbiker
  • psychbiker's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
OK, attempting to trace all the wiring and focusing on the condition of the battery was unnecessary.

I turned the front wheel hard left when I was parked at an ATM and -- voila -- the turn signals returned.

It appears that they work fine IF the front wheel is turned > 45 degrees to the left. The instant it passes < 45 or anywhere right of center -- no turn signals.

So, now the question is, is there anything in the front end wiring that would be so specifically intermittant?

'81 750H - turn signal wiring troubleshooting (NEW diagnostic info!) 04 Oct 2007 05:34 #174500

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
On the 650 the whole wiring harness runs under the left side of the tank, maybe the same on your 750. I can see my harness move when I turn, more in a left than right turn. I'll guess you have a bad wire shorting intermittently in there someplace when you turn left, or a bad wire getting pulled against the headlight bucket and shorting out.

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/10/04 08:37
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

'81 750H - turn signal wiring troubleshooting (NEW diagnostic info!) 04 Oct 2007 06:33 #174504

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Look at your wiring diagram. There is a BROWN wire that is switched VDC that feeds your turn signal relay. SWITCHED means coming off the ignition switch and it goes through a main connector up in your headlight shell or near the steering neck. The brown wire wiggling you did earlier in this exercise obviously was close to the loose connection. TRACE THE BROWN WIRE OFF YOUR IGNITION SWITCH AND ASCERTAIN EACH CONNECTION! Moving the bars obviously is causing the connection that is a problem to show up. The bad connection is one that contains the brown wire connection and is near your handlebars. If you have a multimeter, when the turn signals are not working, it won't take much investigating to figure out where the problem is... you could try using the meter to check for voltage starting with the relay and working back; in other words even a test light will work here. Put the POS probe in the brown socket that connects to the flasher relay and the NEG probe on a frame ground. Put the meter in VDC scale. You should get no voltage if the relay isn't getting any... trace that brown wire back towards the front of the bike to the next connector! Test for voltage here. No power? repeat! If you find voltage, the bad connection or connector will be the one downstream on the flasher relay side. If you find ALL the brown connections back to the ignition switch have power, the problem will be in the flasher relay itself (you can check voltage OUT of the relay as well by activating a turn signal)... I think this should be an orange wire going to your left/right turn signal switch. Could also be a ground associated with the turn signals but if you try figuring this out logically, it shouldn't take all that long.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: