Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Points adjusting 15 Aug 2007 11:56 #164083

• Bicycle Lee
  • Bicycle Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was wondering if anyone could aid me in adjusting my points...my ignition timing seems to be off...
and please don't tell me that I should just switch to electronic...I like my points.;)
1978 KZ1000 police

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points adjusting 15 Aug 2007 14:50 #164112

• Bicycle Lee
  • User
anyone? Even just a link...a do-it-yourself site or anything...
1978 KZ1000 police

Points adjusting 15 Aug 2007 20:01 #164174

• cnyl
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Try doing a search for it. Lots of info on here about it.;)
1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Points adjusting 16 Aug 2007 06:33 #164230

• tjettim
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I think people old enough to remember points
don't have computers.A shop manual for your
bike would help you alot.The Kawasaki ones
walk you right through these type of procedures.

Points adjusting 19 Aug 2007 15:43 #164908

• 76 LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Best $25 i ever invested in a bike was a clymers service manual.

Points adjusting 19 Aug 2007 19:38 #164986

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
tjettim wrote:

I think people old enough to remember points
don't have computers.

Watch it youngster!! The first car I saw with electronic ignition was a 65 Chevy Impala with a 409 and dual quad carbs, and it was brand new at the time :D

And I built my first computer in 1978 from a kit containing a printed circuit board and a whole bunch of componets that had to be soldered on the board, so I know computers also.

I don't have a 1000 with point's, and I don't have a manual either, so I can't answer the question.

Hmmm, after thinking about it for a second or two, I realized that I don't have any bikes with points, I converted all my 750 twins to electronic ignition :)

Fifty lashes with a wet noodle for you :D

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/08/19 22:39
KD9JUR

Points adjusting 19 Aug 2007 21:17 #165004

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I might be able to help you Lee, even though I am 23 years old.First of all remove cover. Turn engine over til cam meets points on left side and opens the points to its widest gap. Measure gap. On my 650 the gap has to be 0.4mm. If the gap does not meet spec, loosen screws that mount the fixed arm and use a screw driver at a pry point, prying to specified point. Tighten screws and recheck gap. Same for right side. So you basically adjust gap when the points are open to their widest gap. Good luck!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Points adjusting 21 Aug 2007 15:35 #165461

• Bicycle Lee
  • User
So I've been tinkering around with the points, matching up the timing mark with the F on the cam and opening the point it corresponds to. It still is having ignition issues. Idles fine, but as soon as I click it into gear and try to go it just doesn't want to move... I have to rev it like crazy and then pop the clutch to get anything out of it...am I not dealing with igntion problems here?
1978 KZ1000 police

Points adjusting 21 Aug 2007 16:54 #165473

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Along with detailed instructions you're going to need a timing light and you should use a dwell meter (although you can get close without the latter). Adjusting the points without a timing light can get you in the ball park (engine will run) but timing will not be very accurate and you may end up with the engine running poorly or even too hot. You should be able to pick both tools up quite inexpensively on eBay. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Points adjusting 21 Aug 2007 18:12 #165491

• bill_wilcox100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Check your plugs. If they have black soot on them then you may have a weak spark. Try installing the WG Coil Re-powering mod. This will make sure that you are getting the full battery voltage to the coil input and not loosing any in the wires and connectors on the way.

Remember, the spark may look OK but it may still be too weak for proper combustion. Don't ask how I know. Search here for many links or let me know and I can attach my diagram.

Best of success.
1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Points adjusting 21 Aug 2007 21:13 #165529

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I've been running points on my 900 for years. Put the plate and the points in the middle of the slot, gap the points. Use a test light to see the break point. Clamp the ground onto the point cover housing. Touch the pointed end of the light to the point contact. This will be the bottom contact. Make sure you have enough light to see the marks on the advancer. Use your hand to gently bump the kick start. This will turn the engine. When the mark comes close to the fire mark, use little bumps to alighn marks. At this time your other hand holds the light on the bottom of the contact. Don't push too hard or the pressure will try to open the points. The light will come on when the points break. If your timing is late or early and you run out of adjustment, you need new points. With new points, loosen the plate and put it in the middle. Same with the points. The timing will then be darn close (to your relief) and you can set them to break at the fire mark from there. Once you get this down it's done in minutes and is easy and right on. Key has to be on, batt. charged. I beat a cbr600 with my bike. It has other mods but believe me this method is spot on. If you run out of adjusment on old points and are desperate to ride, file alittle material off the bottom of the "foot" of the points and It'll put you back into adjustable range again. Points will shift timing in one day. Use good grease on the wick cuz it dries up fast.

Points adjusting 22 Aug 2007 09:09 #165623

• Bicycle Lee
  • User
so what kind of timing light should I get? Inductive? Advance? Does it matter?
1978 KZ1000 police

• Page: