Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ic ignitor 17 Jul 2007 10:46 #157450

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Sorry, I have no info for the EX500. I would assume it uses electronic-advance, and I haven't gotten to developing that yet.

I don't how much reliance I would put into the manual's 400K ohms test. Ignitor's are very high input-impedance devices, although 1.6 meg on the input does seems high. I found ignitors tend to quit completely if at all (for one channel). Have you inspected the coils?

The EX500 is used a lot in racing. There should be some info for replacements somewhere on the web.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/07/17 13:53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ic ignitor 17 Jul 2007 10:54 #157452

• EDMIII
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thx. Going to check the coils tonight. Any suggestions other then resistance measurements, connections and looking for leakage? Have you seen problems where coils go bad intermittently?

Found a lot of information on Igniters from another post. They sent me to www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html. As I read it, it sure sounds like the igniter.

Sometimes the bike starts first push, runs great, then engine starts to lose power, Tach goes to -0- with the engine running, or Tach revs 4-5000 with the engine about to stall. Next is hard starting, starts – runs rough give it gas and it dies, and sometimes then it backfires and occasionally it seems that the plug ignites at the wrong time (when it back fires) and then a real loud clunk (not a nice thing for the motor). Then it may start up OK.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

ic ignitor 17 Jul 2007 11:07 #157457

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah sounds like the ignitor, but could be the pickup, coil, or even just wiring. Have you checked battery voltage while running?

These are just shots in the dark. BTW, do you have two coils or one? Since it's a twin I assume it has one, but maybe it's not a 360 crank.

ic ignitor 17 Jul 2007 11:27 #157467

• EDMIII
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Coils - 2.

Here's my best guess (at this time). Bike had been running great, got ready to sell it last year, my daughter wanted to ride it, tried to start it, wouldn't start, she killed the battery. My son said it made a loud backfire, and a big clanking noise.

Jumped it, got it started, drove it a couple of miles, parked it in the driveway, came back off and battery dead. Tried cranking it, and nothing would turn. Long story short - magnet broke off of the rotor/flywheel.

Bought replacement and since it came with the Stator including the pickups (btw - got it from A&J Salvage in Phil, PA - great place and great prices for used stuff) I am concluding that they have been replaced, and I am still now having some of the original symptoms.

Didn't check the coils yet, will do that tonight. Called the KZ dealer and described the symptoms, when I got to the tach, he said sounds like the module. Found a used one for $80, waiting to hear back. Hopefully I'll eliminate the coils and hear back and then replace it and then sell it. Other then this it's in great shape, just not being ridden, other then by me to the main road (to put a for sale sign on it) and back until this past weekend. I don't want to sell anything with a problem. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Page: