Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 20 Jun 2007 19:05 #151301

• srobie1
  • srobie1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been working on my 77 kz650c, just got it a week ago. It has not ran for several years until just last week. I have been getting some noise. I thought it was bad rings. But thanks to this forum and all you guys, I think it maybe a bad coil. I have searched ebay for new coils without any real luck, as well as searching the net without any real results. I need the coil for Numbers 2 & 3. But should change both. Thing is I am not wanting to drop a bunch of cash. I am the sole provider for my family and I am trying to do this on a budget. So if any one knows of an affordable place to get them (rather than going to the local dealer). Or maybe one of you guys out there reading may have a spare set lying around not being used? Either way, any help will be appreciated. I am also in need of a rear brake caliper mine seams to be seized up from sitting. I cant say enough about this forum, I have learned alot. My original posting is "Just got 77 KZ650 and It Runs". And today I was reading and found a posting "Bad Engine? -- Now with video!" His video shows the same problem I am having. So I am hoping this will do it.
Thanks
Steve
In Clearwater, Fl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 20 Jun 2007 19:44 #151328

• hobodan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Can you give me a picture of your coil? I think I have a set lying around for yah!
1977 KZ650-B1 frame and engine. Random pile of parts for the rest.

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 21 Jun 2007 04:17 #151394

• srobie1
  • User
I will get a pic, this evening and post it. Thanks

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 21 Jun 2007 16:58 #151581

• srobie1
  • User
Here are what the coils look like.

Post edited by: srobie1, at: 2007/06/21 19:59
Attachments:

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 21 Jun 2007 17:02 #151582

• srobie1
  • User
heres another.
Attachments:

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 21 Jun 2007 17:02 #151583

• srobie1
  • User
and another

Post edited by: srobie1, at: 2007/06/21 20:03
Attachments:

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 21 Jun 2007 17:04 #151584

• srobie1
  • User
the last one
Attachments:

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 21 Jun 2007 19:54 #151638

• hobodan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Crud! mine are different from that. Mine seem to be an upgraded model for a newer bike because they don't fit the frame. They are slightly longer. I have seen them on ebay before but they had brackets attached to them. mine didn't. i got them to replace my originals because i thought they were bad, but i fixed the contact points properly and the old ones worked like a charm! Did you Check the ohms between the two wires coming off of them?

Here is what the haynes manual has to say about it:

"The primary winding resistance can be measured by connecting one of the meter probes to the red/yellow lead, and the other to the green or black lead. Resistance should be in the region of 4 ohms. Secondary resistance involves the connection of one probe to each of the high tension leads. In this case the resistance should be approximately 23 k ohms. (the cap for the plug off of course) Finally check for any conductivity between the coil body and the red/yellow lead. If the insulation here is not perfect, or if the primary and secondary resistance readings are noticeably different from those specified, then the coil should be renewed. "

post back with your resistance findings if possible!

1977 KZ650-B1 frame and engine. Random pile of parts for the rest.

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 08 Jul 2007 11:04 #155458

• srobie1
  • User
Update. I have acquired a new (used) set of coils, but unfortunatly they are incorrect. The new (used) coils are longer and have a different sequence, and the plug wires are detachable. The part# on the coils I just got are ZC006-TR12V, and the part# on mine are ZC002-12V. So If anyone is in need of them let me know. I will sell them for what I got them for plus shipping. I have won the bidding on another set of coils on ebay and hopefully they will be here soon. I have not checked the readings on my coils because I was getting another set. Well now I am waiting again for this next set. I have also ordered a new set of points and condenser off ebay as well. I also got myself a set of air pod style air cleaners, seeing how the air box on the bike was all cracked up. Once these parts get in I hope to have it running. I don't have a meter for checking the coils, right now but I will borrow one from a friend this week. So I can have a better idea of whats going on. I just didn't do it because I had a set comming, plus this will give me something to do while I wait for parts. I have had the bike for a few weeks now and haven't even taken for a ride yet. I am foaming at the Bit to ride, and it starting to make me sick :sick: . Any other suggestions as to how to fix it will be appreciated. Starting to get frustrated.:angry:

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 09 Jul 2007 11:43 #155685

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
  • Thank you received: 1
The ZC006-TR12V coils are for bikes with electronic ignition....hence the "TR" in the number which is their shorthand for "TRansistorized" ignition. As you already figured out these will not fit and not only that they have too low a resistance on the primary side windings.
Probably in the range of 2.0 to 2.5 ohms....
whereas your points style ignition with the ZC002-12V coils will have somewhere from 3.0 to 5.0 ohms on the primary side.
Any dual lead single fire coil that has ~5 ohms resistance on the primary side will work fine with your point ignition setup. Also check your plug caps to make sure that you've not got failed/corroded resistors which have FAR more resistance than the stock value which is ~4.8 - 5.0 K ohms per cap.
My .02.....
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 12 Jul 2007 19:02 #156507

• srobie1
  • User
Well I got a set of coils that were the correct ones. I bought them off ebay. Not in bad shape considering there was a MUD DOBBER NEST IN ONE OF THE PLUG BOOTS.:woohoo: Man you would think people would clean something before selling it. Anyways it cured the problem with the noise at low rpm idle. :cheer: Was worried there for a minute. Know on to the next issue. Well the bike hasn't ran in years other than when I first got it and brought it back to life. The carbs are now my main focus. I thought I could get lucky with alittle chem B12 in the gas and a lot of carb cleaner and starting fluid. Well, It blew out some carbon so to speak. And I have it idling at about 1000 rpms and I have a pretty good throtle response. BUT STILL NOT RIGHT. I am a little worried about taking them apart to clean. Is it possible to just drop the bowls of each one and spray the heck out of each one with carb cleaner and pop them back on while they are still attached to bike. Or will I be wasting my time. I am Trying to do this on a tight budget to get a daily rider. Any help is appreciated.

Wanted Ignition Coils for my 77 kz650c 13 Jul 2007 05:22 #156567

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
the only way you are going to get them clean is to pull them a part and soak them in carb cleaner, they are not that hard to take down, if you still have the stock air box that is where the fight begins
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• Page: