Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 09:59 #114753

• pyxen
  • pyxen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi,

I think I've put this together correctly.

Essentially I've taken the stock harness, and put some new connectors onto it, so that I can splice the tail light converter into the middle.

The converter will lead to 2 lights, with a positive and ground on each - where the ground will connect to the white Y-wire , and the two other Y-wires will lead to the corresponding positive/power wire on the left and right lights.

So - will this work?

Thanks.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 10:54 #114768

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm no electrical genius, so take this with a big grain of salt, but it doesn't look quite right to me. That's one of those converters to hitch up a standard 4 pin trailer plug to a vehicle with separate turn and brake lights right? (A car or truck with amber turn signals)
You are going to use a two bulb brake light so half will blink when you signal L or R? It should still have a smaller filament on each side for the tail light, your brown wire should run to those. Not be tied in with the green and yellow. Each side bulb should have 3 wires- ground (white), brown (tail), and gree or yellow (turn/brake).
I've never done one of these but I have messed with plenty of trailer lights and plow frame lights. Good luck, you will get it.

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 11:22 #114778

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Looks wrong to me too.

You are defeating the purpose of the integrator by connecting the green and yellow wires to the black wires.

The black wires on the unit are just pass-through wires for the tail light filaments. They get fed by the red wire from your harness. (Brown doesn't go to the tail.)

The yellow and green wires are for the high-power filaments which will be the brake and turn indicators. They are controlled by the box. Your signal wires feed them, and so does the blue wire which is your brake light wire.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/02/23 14:33

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 11:51 #114785

• pyxen
  • User
I'm using sealed LED units - so there's no filaments.

It's only two wires coming off the lights - a power and ground.

here's a pic:

Would the turn signal power just blow the LEDs when it goes on, if the tail light power is continual, or will the tail light power feed back into the converter like this? I figure that if there's a diode setup in the converter itself, that the power won't feed back in, and that by adding juice along the turn wires, it would increase the power to the lights, making them brighter.

They're 100,000 hour LEDs, so if I overpower them, and drop the lifetime to like 70,000 hours or something - I'm not too concerned.

They're 12V lights - obviously.. So does the voltage through the tail wire hit 12V, or is it a lower voltage, where the stop wire is max voltage? Or is it that the tail wire is 12, and the stop wire is 13.2 or something like that?

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/02/23 15:01
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 12:03 #114789

• Nevco48
  • User
You are going to need a tail-light. Are you sure those LED units are only one "filament"? If you hook up the black to the positive on your battery and the white to the negative, it lights? I'm just wondering, as a lot of lights use the mounting bolts as the ground...
Anyway, like I said, you need to do something about a tail-light. The way you have the turn and brake wires hooked together isn't going to work in any case.

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 12:07 #114791

• pyxen
  • User
yeah - black to positive, white to negative makes it light up.

Hrm.. I could also just go back to turn signals, but I really would like to try and get this to work :P There has to be a way..
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 12:12 #114794

• Nevco48
  • User
pyxen wrote:

If you disconnect the brown Y, they will work as turn and brake lights. You just won't have a tail, which isn't good. Those LED's look like marker lights for the side or center of a large trailer. You need something with two positive leads.
Nice work on the bracket, BTW.:cheer:

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 12:14 #114795

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
EDIT: oops, you guys beat me to the "submit" button. I type slow. :blush:

Aw man, sorry to tell you, your setup won't do what you want it to. Very nice bracket work, though!

Those are marker lights you have. They will only work as tail lights. You won't really get them to work seperately as brake/tail or turn/tail without a lot of modding.

You need lights that are meant to work as tail/brake. Brake lights are usually around 10 times brighter than tail lights (in ASCP, which is for incandescent filaments, so I don't know if it applies to LEDs).

If you want them to also be the turn signals, then you need 2 lighting units that are tail/brake.

The problem is that typical tail/brake units, at parts stores, are for trailers and are much bigger than what we all want.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/02/23 15:16

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 12:22 #114796

• pyxen
  • User
Aight..then I'll have to take a look at what's available through the local dealers - I was considering the emgo tail lights already, but thought that I could possibly use this. What I'll do is separate the tail/turn-brake wires, and have 6 leads instead, with two 3-lead bulbs.

Other than that - eveything looks okay? Maybe I'll use the LEDs as extra brake lighting under the seat or something - to light up the wheel maybe :) I can get it all funky and stuff..heheh
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 13:17 #114804

• Nevco48
  • User
pyxen wrote:

Other than that - eveything looks okay? Maybe I'll use the LEDs as extra brake lighting under the seat or something - to light up the wheel maybe :) I can get it all funky and stuff..heheh

Don't be doin' that sh*t to a KZ:sick:

Will this work? Integrated signals 23 Feb 2007 13:24 #114805

• pyxen
  • User
hahaha.. yeah - you've got a point :)
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Will this work? Integrated signals - stock light? 23 Feb 2007 13:57 #114810

• pyxen
  • User
Okay - can I use the stock light, instead?

It's a 2 bulb, 2 filament tail light.

Can I take the tail light, and run it to the two red wires, while having the left/right/stop wires go to the corresponding blue ones?

I think that'd work...
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4