Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1978 Z1R: Mikuni Experts. What would you do here? 23 Oct 2018 05:35 #792715

• weales
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Effect on bike is that the cylinder/s with the broken choke tube/s will be unwilling to fire up when cold. The engine will probably start ok on the other cylinders and will take time for the engine heat to get into the non firing cylinders before they will run. This is not long but be patient and use minimum or no throttle or you'll flood the cylinders and the whole shebang will stall. Apart from the solution I used and Nessisms you have no other choice but to try and locate a second hand carb either to replace the body with the broken tube or to use as a donor for the tube. Unfortunately I have retired from the workforce and I don't have access to a workshop with the facilities that I used to have.:( - so I can't repeat the repair now. I do have some brass tubing left over from the repair which you are welcome to have as I no longer need it and would like to see it go to someone who can use it. I do have stock of the eyelets also which you can have to attempt the repair. A very small drill (I forget the size now but you can measure it with the drill and caliper/micrometer) is required for the holes in the tubing - maybe a model shop in your area could help with that. When soldering the eyelets into the tube make sure minimal solder and plenty of flux so that the eyelets are not blocked with solder. If this happens just de-solder them from the tube and try again. I had several attempts before I had success! PM me your address and I can mail you the tube/eyelets.
Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.