Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel intake modifictions 30 Oct 2014 19:00 #652331

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

650ed wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote: .....
Did you use top of the line performance cars and a picture of a Pontiac with 3 deuces in the same post? :S :woohoo:
Ls-6 454 in the 70 chevelle/L-88 427s were mostly single 4 barrel motors from gm,the original Lt-1 370hp 350s were single 4 motors,thats just a couple off the top of my head anyway
Motorcycle motors and car motors are 2 totally different animals as far as design and lay out.

That was the top of the line Pontiac at the time. It wasn't meant to be compared to other brands. However, even a single 4-barrel carb has multiple venturis whereas a typical bike carb has only 1 venturi. Perhaps I should have said "single barrel carb" instead of single carb. Try putting a single barrel carb on that 454! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

Can't knock Pontiac. The original American muscle car was born when they stuffed a 389 with three deuces into a cheap little car and the whole world changed.... it was the GTO.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Fuel intake modifictions 30 Oct 2014 19:04 #652332

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

650ed wrote:

peter1958 wrote: Send it to Plummen he can get a 4 barrel on that head. omg just kidding

A pair of these would be nice. :) Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-10-30.jpg not found

Sweet. Those look like the Webers we used to run on old jaguars.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Fuel intake modifictions 31 Oct 2014 09:57 #652396

• kraber
  • kraber's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Raised on a horse ranch in the mts of Colorado. A jack ass or more accurately a mule is a better work horse a more reliable work horse and a better riding animal than your quarter horse. So you take your rodeo animals make them dance how you want. And I will find some else to rebuild my engine. Thank you for educated input
Do something every day and it will get done

Fuel intake modifictions 31 Oct 2014 10:06 #652399

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103

bountyhunter wrote:

650ed wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote: .....
Did you use top of the line performance cars and a picture of a Pontiac with 3 deuces in the same post? :S :woohoo:
Ls-6 454 in the 70 chevelle/L-88 427s were mostly single 4 barrel motors from gm,the original Lt-1 370hp 350s were single 4 motors,thats just a couple off the top of my head anyway
Motorcycle motors and car motors are 2 totally different animals as far as design and lay out.

That was the top of the line Pontiac at the time. It wasn't meant to be compared to other brands. However, even a single 4-barrel carb has multiple venturis whereas a typical bike carb has only 1 venturi. Perhaps I should have said "single barrel carb" instead of single carb. Try putting a single barrel carb on that 454! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

Can't knock Pontiac. The original American muscle car was born when they stuffed a 389 with three deuces into a cheap little car and the whole world changed.... it was the GTO.

Chevy was putting dual afbs on high winding small blocks back in the 50s,chrysler was doing the same with the hemi around 58 or so.
Pontiacs were like the 348/409 chevy and the 406 ford,you either had one that ran hard or you got the one that was always being worked on. :lol:
Theres a reason why you find Pontiac and olds motors in jet boats,and you find big block chevys in most of the faster v-drive boats.(of course a few mopars and fords have found their way into fast v-drives as well. :woohoo: )
My old dumptruck has a one barrel with a good running smallblock chevy under it,of course its propane though! :woohoo:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Fuel intake modifictions 31 Oct 2014 10:13 #652400

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103

LarryC wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

650ed wrote:

80B4 wrote: Aircraft engines are designed to run at one constant low rpm for hours. Street motorcycles need to be able to run well from idle to redline. Your Kawasaki is also in a much higher state of tune then 99% of the aircraft engines. If you want your bike to be slower and less fun to ride a single carb is a great mod to try.

Same with cars. High performance cars that used carbs nearly always had multiple carbs. In fact, I can't recall any top of the line performance cars that used a single carb. Ed

Just one example:

Attachment 00003_2014-10-30.jpg not found

Using three deuces had the advantage of allowing running off just one carb for "normal" and then the other two kicked in as you get on it. Even the gigantic 1050 CFM Holley "double pumpers" which were supposedly one four barrel carburetor actually were two carburetors. The smaller primary side for normal running and the giant secondary when you wanted to spray raw gas out the tailpipe like a crop duster....

Mopar used 3 duces back in the day....they ran too. In 70 they had AAR Cuda 340 6 Packs. They build just enough to meet homologation of the Cuda and I think the Dodge Challangers for the T/A racing class.

There was an old ford/mopar nut in south o named Mark L,He had the most amazing collection of 60s high performance parts Ive ever seen.
Anyway he had a 72 440 6 pack cuda or challenger that was basically a stripped down shell and numbers matching motor.
He put new quarters and rockers on it then some guy from south Dakota came down and gave him like $60,000.00 for the shell and motor. :ohmy:
He told me there was only like 69 of them ever made. :ohmy:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Fuel intake modifictions 31 Oct 2014 10:52 #652404

• floivanus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 116
If you're going to build a manifold and run a single carb I bet youre better off building a manifold that can take four fuel injectors and a smaller GM throttle body (saturn 1.9 liter or something) and getting going on an EFI swap. That thought has crossed my mind, but still; cant beat the cost and performance of four carbs.

If/when I do a crazy custom bike I'll go that route (keep thinking I should try to one up zed1015's crazy nice build) but I'm currently selling all but one or two bikes right now (have 4 80ltds, my 78 an h2 the 550 and a goldwing. Gotta stop hoarding)
my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Fuel intake modifictions 31 Oct 2014 13:33 #652420

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
Who knew back then what they would bring ... Wish I had a few today
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Re:Re: Fuel intake modifictions 03 Nov 2014 20:44 #652822

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I have 2 single carb bikes. In the end you are trading one problem for another. At wot a single carb runs great. Everything else ends up be a gamble. Mostly with dicking around with the needles and accellerator pump like you have never seen.

Personally while it sounds like simplification you add new complexities. Manifold design will make or break your woes.
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Re:Re: Fuel intake modifictions 04 Nov 2014 07:32 #652844

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:

Re:Re: Re:Re: Fuel intake modifictions 05 Nov 2014 19:35 #652992

• Hollywoodmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

531blackbanshee wrote:

leon

Cool! I like it. What mm are those. 40? And is that a Harris frame?
- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

Last edit: by Hollywoodmx.

Re:Re: Re:Re: Fuel intake modifictions 07 Nov 2014 06:25 #653133

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797

Hollywoodmx wrote: Cool! I like it. What mm are those. 40? And is that a Harris frame?

i have no knowledge of it so i can't answer,i stole the pic somewhere .

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0