Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb Float Tool & Float Level Question 27 Dec 2008 14:53 #254959

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Sometimes the static method will give you almost perfect results and sometimes some adjustment is needed and sometimes you will need to adjust all four carbs. If I have four floats that are very much different when looking at them as if I were going to do a static float level set, I sometimes measure ONE with my gauge and then bend the rest so they are the same height visually and then move on to the service fuel level method. It does same me a bit of time because if a float is WAY off initially, I may have to adjust it a several times otherwise to get it right with the clear hose. I once bought a GENUINE Kawasaki service fuel level tool and it turned out to be a plastic tube you stuck the clear flex tube into and the clear plastic tube had lines on it 1mm apart. It is easier to just eyeball in my humble opinion. The VM carbs aren't that fussy as far as the actual amount of gas... a millimeter or two either way doesn't seem to affect them too much. The BS series are pretty much the same but Keihin carbs seem to be far more sensitive to having the fuel level too low by even 1 or 2 millimeters.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb Float Tool & Float Level Question 27 Dec 2008 15:21 #254963

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Not that they are set up like yours, but I set my TK27 Carbs to the recommended 27mm, and had them sitting on my desk, so they floats are just resting against the needles like this:

Never did the float level test. Guess I should someday.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Carb Float Tool & Float Level Question 29 Apr 2009 17:13 #286352

• jbrewer73
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does the inner diameter of the tubing make a difference?

I was gonna go with a 1/4" id but the hose in the pic on the thread looks about 3/8" or more. Maybe its just looks larger in the pic.

THX

Carb Float Tool & Float Level Question 29 Apr 2009 19:19 #286383

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
jbrewer73 wrote:

Does the inner diameter of the tubing make a difference?

I was gonna go with a 1/4" id but the hose in the pic on the thread looks about 3/8" or more. Maybe its just looks larger in the pic.

THX

No, inner diameter of the tubing doesn't make any difference.

I happened to find a clear plastic tube that "threaded" snugly right into the floatbowl drain screw hole on 26mm Mikuni.

If shopping for a piece of tubing, might consider taking a floatbowl along when visiting the hardware store, hobby shop, etc.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.
  • Page: