Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 13 Apr 2024 15:48 #897607

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104

That Terminal Van lines bike is tiny compared to modern TF machines. Its crazy to think that street tire bikes run faster than that ever did.

Found this online : fuelcurve.com/top-fuel-bikes-of-the-1970s/

Thanks for that link, Injected.  Some great pics there!  And, yeah, the current Pro Street dragbikes running high 6's @ 200+ mph - simply mind blowing!
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 13 Apr 2024 19:41 #897610

• Vinsky
  • User
  • Thank you received: 49
It's difficult to remember all the great ones, there are so many. Several years ago Tom Skinner started a thread on the Jockey Journal called Vintage Fuel Bikes.
www.jockeyjournal.com/threads/vintage-fu...y=oldest#post-594606
Here's an impressive 60s blown fuel 500cc Vincent, built and still owned by Brian Chapman in our Vincent club. I think his best et was a 8.25 @ 169 mph.

Vinsky
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

Last edit: by Vinsky.

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 14 Apr 2024 09:26 #897626

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member

It's difficult to remember all the great ones, there are so many. Several years ago Tom Skinner started a thread on the Jockey Journal called Vintage Fuel Bikes.
www.jockeyjournal.com/threads/vintage-fu...y=oldest#post-594606
Here's an impressive 60s blown fuel 500cc Vincent, built and still owned by Brian Chapman in our Vincent club. I think his best et was a 8.25 @ 169 mph.

Very cool pic!  Is that a single cylinder Vincent from a Comet?  And, that's a great link that you posted.  Thanks for that.  Good stuff!
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Last edit: by Dragbike_Mike. Reason: Grammar correction

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 14 Apr 2024 10:35 #897629

• Vinsky
  • User
Yes, it's a one cylinder Comet motor. In the 50s and 60s they were cheap and very reliable also, easily campaigning a full season on one build. Can't do that today.

Vinsky
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike, howardhb

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 14 Apr 2024 12:32 #897631

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 400
That bungee corded fuel tank would not pass tech inspection at my track :)

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 15 Apr 2024 09:32 #897663

• Vinsky
  • User
The Brits built some hairy blown and supercharged bikes back then. I'm not even sure when leathers certified helmets became a requirement. 
This is the bike I have now (restored) from the mid 50s.  Blue jeans, no gloves, dingo boots and all. It was running close to 140 before they banned nitro for a few years.
Vinsky
Attachments:

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 17 Apr 2024 09:06 #897740

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 265
I wish I had pictures to share... A friend down in Stockton, Terry Sage, has a Triumph from... the 60s I wanna say? Open chain primary, chain drive (of course) and an open chain driving the supercharger behind the motor! 

Another friend & I ditched highschool to go to the Winternationals in Pomona back in '77. We got to see Russ Collins run the 199.55 MPH run. At that point, no bike had gone 200 MPH. What most stories don't mention was that RC was into and out of the gas 3 times that run and STILL went 199.55 MPH

Aah, the good old days... sigh  
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! 21 Apr 2024 21:09 #897969

• Vinsky
  • User
Here are some photos of the same bike shown above. 
Vinsky
Attachments:

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! Yesterday 12:42 #898078

• Vinsky
  • User
It took a few years to gather enough parts to restore the bike. in 2006 at the NHRA banquet the rider Tommy Auger was honored with the Golden Age Award. He was unaware his old drag bike was on the stage behind a curtain and was stunned to turn around and see it again after 50 years.
Vinsky
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Dragbike_Mike

Let's see YOUR drag bike ! Yesterday 13:17 #898079

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member

It took a few years to gather enough parts to restore the bike. in 2006 at the NHRA banquet the rider Tommy Auger was honored with the Golden Age Award. He was unaware his old drag bike was on the stage behind a curtain and was stunned to turn around and see it again after 50 years. 
A beautiful restoration job, Vinsky.  Thanks for sharing those pics.  Some real history there!