Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 20 Apr 2015 20:58 #668973

• Seth.Mason
  • Seth.Mason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
A couple summers ago I took in a KC650 project. It didn't have any power and would barely go down the street. I figure needed carbs cleaned and such.

When I took the tank off I found that there were two dyna coils and one was basically exploded. I changed the coils cleaned the carbs bike ran like a champ!

I decided to run seafoam through the carbs to get them good and cleaned.

(this is where I'm pretty sure I screwed myself.)

I left the bike running with a box fan blowing on the engine thinking it would help keep the engine from over heating.

When I came back the bike was running fine so I shut it down and decided it was time to go a long ride and see how it did. So, I was getting ready to leave when I tried to pull the clutch and cable seemed stuck. So, like and idiot, I forced it and broke it. While it had been running the plastic around the cable had melted against one of the headers. So, I put a new clutch cable on it and I can seem to get the dumb thing to kick over (battery is dead and I can't buy a new one).

I've tried adjusting it every which way, and can't seem to get the kick starter to turn the motor over.

It'll shift into gear and into neutral but when it's in gear and I kick it over it tries to roll forward, when I try to kick it in neutral it doesn't turn the motor over... HELP!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Seth.Mason.

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 01:35 #668978

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Not sure about the transmission problem, as my 650 doesn't have a kick starter,
but the bike needs a good battery to run right since it supplies the energy to fire the coils.
In neutral when you say it doesn't turn the motor over, do you mean the kick starter isn't engaging and the crankshaft & pistons aren't moving, or it just isn't starting? If the latter, it's probably the battery.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 06:23 #668985

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
The charging systems are totally different depending on the model year of the KZ650, so it is important that you show what year bike you have, not just that it is a "C" model if you want good information.

Don't even bother trying to start the bike or ride it with a dead battery - it ain't gonna happen. Also, DO NOT try to jump start the bike from a running vehicle. That is a quick way to wreck your bike's electrical system.

In other words - buy a battery or sit home and watch TV because your not going riding without one. ;) Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 07:10 #668991

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I agree. As for the kick start problem, the engine will not turn over with the clutch engaged. Pull the clutch/sprocket cover to see if the arm is stuck. With it off, you should be able to kick it over.
Steve

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 13:27 #669027

• Seth.Mason
  • Seth.Mason's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It's nothing to do with the charging system. I've pulled the cover and inspected the clutch plates and basket. The clutch engages but when I kick the bike over in neutral it's not turning the motor over. That's why I've not purchased a new battery, no sense putting a new battery on it when the engine want turn over. The problem I'm wanting to solve is the clutch issues. Doesn't seem to be right at all.

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 14:04 #669033

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
The two issues seem unrelated to me.
But maybe not.
If you can put the shifter in 2, 3, 4.... what ever and can hardly turn engine over by rolling the rear tire.... I'm thinking the clutch basket assembly is fine.
There is a spring and ratchet assembly under the kick starter shaft cover....mechanism that could have slipped and won't advance against the motor rotation... when the engine fires off, even just a little faster then you kicked it... the ratchet releases. Could it be stuck in the released position?
Have you pulled the cover and looked right at the clutch release mechanism?
Also the kick starter is fairly obvious how it works and releases when the engine speeds up at all with any cylinder firing.
Maybe it is stuck .... you know, of course, the engine runs just fine with the clutch pulled and fully released.

Also the kick starter "gear" drives against the other side of the clutch hub doesn't it?
That's why the kick starter won't roll the engine over with the clutch pressure released.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth.Mason

Last edit: by missionkz.

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 14:16 #669035

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Seth.Mason wrote: It's nothing to do with the charging system. I've pulled the cover and inspected the clutch plates and basket. The clutch engages but when I kick the bike over in neutral it's not turning the motor over. That's why I've not purchased a new battery, no sense putting a new battery on it when the engine want turn over. The problem I'm wanting to solve is the clutch issues. Doesn't seem to be right at all.

You're not by any chance pulling in the clutch lever when using the kick starter are you? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ650 clutch/transmission issues 21 Apr 2015 14:35 #669038

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Put it in 3rd or 4th gear and have a friend or 2 push it with the clutch in and pop it.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• Page: