Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'82 KZ250 Headstock Swap 21 Oct 2014 14:17 #651354

• Jcochran
  • Jcochran's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Alright, I've done a little research but figured I would post on here as well for the bike builders. I have a 1982 Kawasaki KZ250 CSR (The old belt drive I converted to Chain). The front shocks aren't bent or anything, but I am interested in replacing them with a more modern style of shock, like on the GSXR or CBR, and possibly to a front disk brake. My question is, is there a systematic way to go about finding which ones will fit? I know I will need new bearings and such to do the swap but Im not sure about fabrication time. Seeing as the headstock I'll need to buy will need to be the same length, and smaller than the bore size of the original headset, wouldn't this work? Does anyone have any horror/success stories of this kind of swap?
1982 Kawasaki KZ250 CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 KZ250 Headstock Swap 22 Oct 2014 08:06 #651404

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
check your pm's

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

'82 KZ250 Headstock Swap 22 Oct 2014 10:08 #651412

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Best way to do it is source a front end complete with brakes and calipers, the just swap the steering stem over. This needs pressing out and the replacement pressing in, plus new taper roller bearings. You might get lucky and find something the right length and stem diameters but most need modification.

If you know your existing steering top and bottom bearing lenght and OD's in mm you can source alternative taper roller bearings with different ID just with an ebay search.

I'd look to replace the rear wheel too, this is usually easier but you need to consider spacers, spindle diameter and chain off set.

Making it fit together is one thing, making it look cool and good handling needs some planning. Sometimes I seen a 19 inch front wheel katana, z900 or GPz11 modified to running on 16 or 17 inch wheels, scraping on the ground and it looks so daft to me.

Your CSR is a custom style and needs long forks and a big front wheel imo.
Maybe a kz550 ltd front end would be a cheap upgrade. Modern upside down forks and multipot floating calipers won't look right on that frame imo.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jcochran

'82 KZ250 Headstock Swap 05 Apr 2015 16:44 #666666

• Jcochran
  • Jcochran's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
yah I have a press and Dremel along with a plasma cutter, torch, drill press, among a variety of other tools in the machine shop I just wasn't sure about it. I decided to stay with the stock headset and forks but swapped the bars out and it helped a ton with handling. Now Im just shortening cables. Gonna have to send them to motion pro for custom cables because I don't want to have to solder them. Thanks for the advice though!
1982 Kawasaki KZ250 CSR

• Page: