Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My bike ran great but now it just won't start. 01 Sep 2014 09:35 #645806

• Waynecarpenter
  • Waynecarpenter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The bike is a 1982 Kz750 E. Ok iv been scratching my head for a while now. No idea what happened. I built this bike and rode it for about 2 months or so. So strong and so fast. Loved it. One day I was riding it and something didn't seem right. Best way to describe it is the mid range power was just sluggish and struggling. Once it hit top end power it was nice and strong again. I decided to go home. Got home and was idleing and reved it a few time to see if it would work itself out. Have it a high rev and boom. Something happened. It backfired pretty hard. After that I tried to start it. Sounded bad. Started to investigate. Took the tank off and the left coil pack was unbolted. Since it came unbolted that also meant the ground wire wasn't attached anymore. Btw I have a dynatek S ignition system. So I figure hmmmm maybe that was the problem. Reattach everything and try to start it. Sounds a lot better but still no start. Someone suggested to check the timing and that is spot on. My buddy who I ride with said maybe a week prior to the incident I had moderate white smoke coming from the exhaust. Also maybe a week or two prior I placed a hose on the crankcase vent port to direct air away from the engine and not allow anything to go into the hole. The valve cover has block off plates to delete the evap system or circulatory system. Not quite sure the correct term for this. When I try to start it it seems like the far right carb (cylinder 4?) will backfire or puff once in a while. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My bike ran great but now it just won't start. 01 Sep 2014 12:06 #645815

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Getting fire at the plugs? ;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

My bike ran great but now it just won't start. 01 Sep 2014 12:42 #645818

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Check spark. Dynas are known to die with very little provocation. Check carbs for flooding.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Re:My bike ran great but now it just won't start. 01 Sep 2014 14:32 #645827

• Waynecarpenter
  • User

PLUMMEN wrote: Getting fire at the plugs? ;)

I pulled the plugs one by one and tested them this way. Please let me know if this is correct. I pulled the plug, placed it in the plug wire and pushed the start button as I placed the plug near the engine. Their was spark from the plug to the engine. Each time I even managed to shock myself haha.

Re:My bike ran great but now it just won't start. 01 Sep 2014 14:34 #645828

• Waynecarpenter
  • User

bountyhunter wrote: Check spark. Dynas are known to die with very little provocation. Check carbs for flooding.

How do I check for flooding? The bike had sat for about a month or so after the incident. So I figured the gas would be bad. I drained all the carbs and what little gas was left in the tank. Filled with new gas.

Re:My bike ran great but now it just won't start. 02 Sep 2014 10:46 #645923

• Markovich
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Couple of thoughts, are you still on stock coils,wires and boots? Can or did you pull plugs and see if they were wet or black? Can or have you done a compression test? When you built your bike did you check the valve clearance? I just went through something similar myself. I went to the Dyna s with green coils after I dropped a cylinder. Checked the valves and three were tight. Only thing I can think of for white smoke is moisture in the exhaust pipe? Just throwing a few things out there to help with diagnostics. Good hunting...
1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

• Page: