Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 18 May 2011 20:58 #451984

• DoctoRot
  • DoctoRot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
After finding out that my beloved KZ1000 had some top end damage and poor compression, I was coerced into rebuilding the engine myself. I have never attempted anything like this before.

So far, I was able to pull the engine out of the frame, and I started tearing it down, There is ALOT of carbon build up in the engine, I have been cleaning it out with some engine cleaner spray and a toothbrush, but it is slow going.

I am a firm believer that if you are going to do something, do it right. That in mind, I want to replace as many parts that see wear as possible, I don't really know where to start on ordering parts, I was hoping there was a engine rebuild kit that I could buy and would have everything I need in it, but i haven't been able to find one. Anyone know of a kit that out there, or what parts I should replace? I'm also not opposed to doing some mild performance upgrades on this either. any advice is appreciated

-vic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 18 May 2011 21:08 #451989

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
Good for you Vic. Nothing will feel more satisfying that riding the old girl after a fresh build.

Do yourself the best favor and download/purchase an oem service manual, as well as a clymer manual. Both are extremely helpful step by step books of gold for newbies.

With the instructions included in these books, you will know exactly what to inspect, replace, restore, etc. and also exactly what tools to acquire.

Best of luck!

B)
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 18 May 2011 21:46 #451999

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
take some pictures and give close ups of the valve faces and top of combustion area....cylinder.sleeves...and anything you are finding and then give us some precise ideas on where you are at...a manual will walk you through and by measuring and inspection each item ,you will be directed tot the solution by the step by step,engine service and rebuild chapters....pictures with words might help folks to follow your path and guide you better

see this picture for an example of a good close up that shows an item

in this pic i am showing a clear shot of a section on the cam ...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Attachments:

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 18 May 2011 23:47 #452029

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
the best thing to do is get it all stripped down and let everything soak for a couple days to loosen up the crud before trying to scrape too much of that old carbon off.
once you get the parts reasonably clean take your pistons and cylinder to somebody with the right tools to measure the bores and pistons to see if theyre close enough to spec for a re-ring job,or if its going to need a bore job and new pistons.
if youre going to rebuild it you might as well go ahead and tell yourself youre going to replace the cam chain and guides/rollers etc,that stuff gets deep into the motor and its no fun to do twice.
good news is these motors have a pretty stout bottem end that generally doesnt need much more than a good cleaning and inspection B)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 22 May 2011 14:32 #452794

• bigkzfan
  • User
  • if grandpa had tits he"d be grandma, if
  • Thank you received: 1
be very very very very carefull when you tighten them cam cap bolts very easy to strip... i mean very easy to strip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hello, i own a 1982 kz1000 j model with a 4into1 header and factory air box...

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 22 May 2011 18:15 #452838

• Qdude
  • User
  • It is all good.
  • Thank you received: 1
And cams can break if not tightened down correctly. follow procedures the first couple of times you do this.

It is just a bunch of bells and whistles on one level. But screw one up and the rest will wait 'til you get yourself out of a bind.

Ask questions shamelessly! I do...
77 KZ 650 C1.
77 KZ 650 C1.
Crashed-Repaired, Pods, Kerker pipe, re-wired core bundle, lamp upgraded, homemade rectifier, solid state regulator , Dyna-s ignition, repainted, slightly modified, year-round commuter
Honda Metro 85 mpg Scooter. Dont laugh I will throw it at you

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 29 May 2011 17:48 #454207

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
Just finished up another project so this baby can get all my attention. Also finally got my camera fixed so i could get some photos on here.

as you can see, its seen better days.

most of the rubber on the cam chain guides and sprockets are cracking off or very worn

The cams have some wear on the corners. particularly on cylinder one exhaust and intake. I need to go pick up a micrometer so I can start measuring the tolerances on them.

I took the cylinder off and tried to remove the pistons. I got the circlips out but the wrist pin doesn't want to come out. The manual said to try heating up with a torch, that didn't work either, it also has a diagram for a home made puller. I'm gonna try and make it today and see if i can get those pins out.

I started to take apart the head, but the first thing it says to do in the manual is use your valve spring compressor tool. I checked on Z1 and its $190! Is there anyway to remove the valves without this tool?

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 29 May 2011 18:02 #454208

• ELCouz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

Is there a way to remove the valves without having to buy the valve spring compressor tool? Id rather not drop $190 on it.

You can always take it to a engine shop... they charge a few bucks per valves (mine is around 4$)

regards,
laurent
1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 29 May 2011 18:16 #454211

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
that's a great idea. Ill get on that tomorrow. also here are some close ups of the valves. There is alot of crud built up on there!

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 29 May 2011 19:19 #454228

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

DoctoRot wrote: ...valve spring compressor tool...its $190! Is there anyway to remove the valves without this tool?

A diy tool is relatively easy to make from a large C-clamp, plus a fitting made of pipe (steel, aluminum or PVC), or an old wrench socket (you do the sculpture).

Here's a KZr thread with some detailed info about this diy tool.
kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/197012-valve-spring-compressor

Here are some other illustrations:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 30 May 2011 02:15 #454300

• wireman
  • User
if you have access to a drill press it can be used in place of c-clamp using same kind of modified socket
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

My first engine rebuild on a 1980 KZ1000 LTD 30 May 2011 02:17 #454301

• wireman
  • User

DoctoRot wrote: Just finished up another project so this baby can get all my attention. Also finally got my camera fixed so i could get some photos on here.

as you can see, its seen better days.

most of the rubber on the cam chain guides and sprockets are cracking off or very worn

The cams have some wear on the corners. particularly on cylinder one exhaust and intake. I need to go pick up a micrometer so I can start measuring the tolerances on them.

I took the cylinder off and tried to remove the pistons. I got the circlips out but the wrist pin doesn't want to come out. The manual said to try heating up with a torch, that didn't work either, it also has a diagram for a home made puller. I'm gonna try and make it today and see if i can get those pins out.

I started to take apart the head, but the first thing it says to do in the manual is use your valve spring compressor tool. I checked on Z1 and its $190! Is there anyway to remove the valves without this tool?

im more concerned about the grooves in bearing journals on cam,looks like shes missed some oil changes in the past B)