• Page:

TOPIC:

To GpZ or Not to GpZ 26 Mar 2017 13:49 #757754

• Jonny
  • Jonny's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
So, while I am in no kind of rush about any of this, I wanted to throw the question out to the forum, and the big handful of guys here with GpZ 550s. I love my KZ650, and have no plans to get rid of it. It's going to remain, hands down my keeper bike; but there are a few things I want to work on, and tinker with over the next while, which will probably take it off the road during the all-to-short cycling season here in Canada. Since I really don't have an indoor, or shed space to work on a running bike, this work must necassarily happend during riding season.

So, looking around locally, and maybe not feeling the need to get yet another '650. (One rider, plus a parts bike is probably enough....) There is a GpZ 550 in my neck of the woods for possibly not entirely too much money, and which, without having gone to see it yet, seems like it could be a bike for the summer, or maybe to even keep and play with in the long term, if it can be kept to a minimum budget.

It looks like an '85 with the CV carbs, mono swingy, and the 'one piece' body styling kit with the bikini fairing. Any particular things to know about this type/year/setup? I've got more than a clue when going to look at a motorcycle at least, but don't know much about these in particular. I know they get raves from their owners, and are generally pretty well regarded. Does the bikini fairing make them a little more highway worthy? They seem to get billed as being an acceptable medium range sports tourer, and if so, could be great for me. I really don't want to put a fairing on my '650, since I love the naked approach for the back roads carving I mainly do with it. However, where I live, going to see family and friends is often up to 5-6 hours on highways, and I have to admit I think something with a little more rider protection and the like would be nice. I figured maybe minimal racks, and rearsets on the 550 would do the trick.

I have considered going up to higher displacement, but it's hardly worth it around where I live. Speed limits of ~100km/h are fairly strictly enforced all over, and insurance makes a very steep incline in the litre bike category. I reckon with the correct sprockets, I should be able to cruise around a 110km/h without winding out the bike too much, given it has a 6 speed tranny?

This is a far cry from a done thing, but I am curious what others have to say about these bikes. Sure, I'd love a ZRX for all my highway riding, but they are prohibitively expensive.... I'm not running out to buy anything soon, but will at least go have a look, and get some pictures in person, and make sure it's not a mutt before going any further.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jonny.

To GpZ or Not to GpZ 27 Mar 2017 06:09 #757804

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 277
My son has a 85 and I have a few myself . Sounds like for what you want it for it will be a great choice . You will have no problems on the highway going those speeds and its great fun on the backroads too . I would say its a least worth going and have a look .

Best of luck
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

To GpZ or Not to GpZ 27 Mar 2017 17:19 #757887

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377
They really are great bikes. I would love to have another one.
Over the years the swoopy bodystyle has grown on me. Maybe it was sitting on new ones back in '85 wishing I could afford to buy one.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

To GpZ or Not to GpZ 28 Mar 2017 06:38 #757935

• Jonny
  • Jonny's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
It's taken a little time for me to come around on them. I always kind of thought the styling was a little strange, how you had to have all the pieces, or it looked choppy.... But over the years, and seeing fewer of them, and more of modern bikes, they just kind of scream classic Kawi to me now.

Don't think the looks will make it into many classic bike books, but I won't turn one down to for riding either!
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

To GpZ or Not to GpZ 28 Mar 2017 13:25 #757961

• azman857
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 111
I say go for it. Variety is the spice of lfe.
I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

• Page: