Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 08:09 #729207

• riturbo
  • riturbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
www.motorcycle-superstore.com/79958/i/me...c-klassik-front-tire

Need a new set of tires for the wifes Gpz . Going to Laconia in a few weeks so I have to get her some new tread . She only rides a few weeks out of the year . The tires she has now are the lazertecs . They are old and need replacing . Thinking about trying a set .
Any input would be great
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 11:06 #729226

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

riturbo wrote: www.motorcycle-superstore.com/79958/i/me...c-klassik-front-tire

Need a new set of tires for the wifes Gpz . Going to Laconia in a few weeks so I have to get her some new tread . She only rides a few weeks out of the year . The tires she has now are the lazertecs . They are old and need replacing . Thinking about trying a set .
Any input would be great

If she only rides a few weeks out of the year, I'd probably go for mid grade tires, like Shinko 712s", and replace them in two or three years due to simple aging or dry checking, rather then wear and tear.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 11:23 #729228

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Meteler makes good tires, but I don't see one in the link that is the correct size for the rear tire for your bike. I only see 100/90V-18 and 110/90V-18. Those are both too narrow for the rear. Do you have another source for the tires that offer the correct sizes? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 11:27 #729230

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185

missionkz wrote:

riturbo wrote: www.motorcycle-superstore.com/79958/i/me...c-klassik-front-tire

Any input would be great

If she only rides a few weeks out of the year, I'd probably go for mid grade tires, like Shinko 712s", and replace them in two or three years due to simple aging or dry checking, rather then wear and tear.

+1, you can get a front & rear Shinko 712's from Bike Bandit for less than the price of one of those Metzler's
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 14:06 #729246

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I bought a set of 712s last summer due to budget. I have nothing to complain about. I have about 2500 mi on them. The front looks nearly new and the rear looks about 50%. I'm going to put maybe another 500-1000 on the rear then upgrade.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 14:06 #729247

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Makes no sense to buy tires that are overpriced and made for speeds the bike will never do.
Steve

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 14:34 #729251

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

650ed wrote: Meteler makes good tires, but I don't see one in the link that is the correct size for the rear tire for your bike. I only see 100/90V-18 and 110/90V-18. Those are both too narrow for the rear. Do you have another source for the tires that offer the correct sizes? Ed

Look at the rear sizes. www.motorcycle-superstore.com/79957/i/me...ec-klassik-rear-tire

A friend was running metzeler Lasertec tires and they cracked all to crap inside 2 years. And this is in temperate So Calif. too. No thanks to Metzeler's.

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 14:52 #729254

• 650ed
  • User

Nessism wrote:

650ed wrote: Meteler makes good tires, but I don't see one in the link that is the correct size for the rear tire for your bike. I only see 100/90V-18 and 110/90V-18. Those are both too narrow for the rear. Do you have another source for the tires that offer the correct sizes? Ed

Look at the rear sizes. www.motorcycle-superstore.com/79957/i/me...ec-klassik-rear-tire

A friend was running metzeler Lasertec tires and they cracked all to crap inside 2 years. And this is in temperate So Calif. too. No thanks to Metzeler's.

Thanks. Yes that site shows sizes that fit. I'm surprised the Metzelers cracked like that, but that's good to know. I thought their tires would be good since they are the sister company of Pirelli and Pirelli makes good tires. I'll stick with the Pirellis. Ed

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 15:09 #729255

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Pirellis are needlessly expensive and short lived. I don't see the point other than maybe racing. Avon Roadriders or Conti Go's last near double and stick well. Some very hard riding riders on the GS Resources swear by the Avons, and these guys have experience with the Sport Demons as well.

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 16:02 #729262

• 650ed
  • User

Nessism wrote: Pirellis are needlessly expensive and short lived. I don't see the point other than maybe racing. Avon Roadriders or Conti Go's last near double and stick well. Some very hard riding riders on the GS Resources swear by the Avons, and these guys have experience with the Sport Demons as well.

That hasn't been my experience, but I guess it depends on one's definition of expensive and one's expectation of the tire's life. My Sport Demons cost around $100 each (+ tax) locally, I'm fortunate that my local guy charges prices competitive with the best online prices. I always replace tires before they are worn down very much, and my first set of Sport Demons lasted me 8,000 miles. They still had a good deal of tread, and could easily have gone at least another 2 - 3,000 miles front and 1 - 2,000 miles rear, but I don't like riding on worn tires, and I usually replace both at the same time. My second set are still on the bike, and with 5,000 miles on them they still have a ton of meat left. I'm positive they will easily last me a total of 8 - 10,000 miles. I consider that to be an inexpensive price for premium tires and what for me is excellent life expectancy.

I have used Dunlop K87 / F6B tires (the original equipment on my KZ650), Dunlop K91 kevlar belted / triangular cross-section tires, Michelin A48 / M48 with and without PZ2 racing compound, Michelin Macadam, and the Pirelli Sport Demons on my KZ650. None of the tires cost significantly less than the Pirelli's. The Michelins with PZ2 were far more expensive, and those tires lasted only 1,000 miles on the rear and 2,000 miles on the front (I spent more than $600 on these tires in one season - far too much). The other tires lasted much longer than the PZ2 ones but did not last as many miles as the Pirelli's. More important to me is the fact that except for the tires with the PZ2 compound the other tires did not provide the same level of traction as the Pirelli's. I could easily lock up the front tire with the Dunlops or Macadams, and I do not feel comfortable with tires that do that. The Pirelli's and the old Michelin A48 tires will stop the bike in a hurry without drama - that I like!

I have not used Avon's or Conti's, but they both have excellent reputations so I'm not surprised to read that folks like them. I may even try a set if Pirelli stops making the Sport Demons, but until then I'm happy with what I have on the bike today. Ed

Last edit: by 650ed.

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 17:36 #729275

• pete greek1
  • User

650ed wrote:

Nessism wrote: Pirellis are needlessly expensive and short lived. I don't see the point other than maybe racing. Avon Roadriders or Conti Go's last near double and stick well. Some very hard riding riders on the GS Resources swear by the Avons, and these guys have experience with the Sport Demons as well.

That hasn't been my experience, but I guess it depends on one's definition of expensive and one's expectation of the tire's life. My Sport Demons cost around $100 each (+ tax) locally, I'm fortunate that my local guy charges prices competitive with the best online prices. I always replace tires before they are worn down very much, and my first set of Sport Demons lasted me 8,000 miles. They still had a good deal of tread, and could easily have gone at least another 2 - 3,000 miles front and 1 - 2,000 miles rear, but I don't like riding on worn tires, and I usually replace both at the same time. My second set are still on the bike, and with 5,000 miles on them they still have a ton of meat left. I'm positive they will easily last me a total of 8 - 10,000 miles. I consider that to be an inexpensive price for premium tires and what for me is excellent life expectancy.

I have used Dunlop K87 / F6B tires (the original equipment on my KZ650), Dunlop K91 kevlar belted / triangular cross-section tires, Michelin A48 / M48 with and without PZ2 racing compound, Michelin Macadam, and the Pirelli Sport Demons on my KZ650. None of the tires cost significantly less than the Pirelli's. The Michelins with PZ2 were far more expensive, and those tires lasted only 1,000 miles on the rear and 2,000 miles on the front (I spent more than $600 on these tires in one season - far too much). The other tires lasted much longer than the PZ2 ones but did not last as many miles as the Pirelli's. More important to me is the fact that except for the tires with the PZ2 compound the other tires did not provide the same level of traction as the Pirelli's. I could easily lock up the front tire with the Dunlops or Macadams, and I do not feel comfortable with tires that do that. The Pirelli's and the old Michelin A48 tires will stop the bike in a hurry without drama - that I like!

I have not used Avon's or Conti's, but they both have excellent reputations so I'm not surprised to read that folks like them. I may even try a set if Pirelli stops making the Sport Demons, but until then I'm happy with what I have on the bike today. Ed

650ed, I agree with you 100%, in the 40 + yrs. I've had Dunlop's Conti go's Bridgstone's , & Metzler ME 77's & Metzler Laser tech's , I bought a Pirelli Sport Demon rear tire after I saw a post on them that you had put up, I always liked the Metzler Laser Techs, on my front wheel & when the one I had on my bike wore out, I bought a new one, & couple of yrs. later I saw the post that Nessism put up about the Laser Tech's sidewalls cracking , & I noticed a wobbling in my front end , & remembered Nessisims remark about the cracking side walls & sure enough it was cracked with less than 3000 miles, I have close to 3000 miles on my Pirelli Sport Demon on the rear & It still looks like new It has the best grip on the pavement, especially on wet roads I don't know I f Metzler is made in a different country now,or what, :unsure: But IMOP, I think Sport Demons are GREAT for the money, & only about 10-20 $ more than Metzlers,, & if Nessisim hasn't tried Pirelli Sport Demons , He shouldn't knock them, !!
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Anybody try these tires yet ? 30 May 2016 18:02 #729277

• pete greek1
  • User

swest wrote: Makes no sense to buy tires that are overpriced and made for speeds the bike will never do.
Steve

But I agree with, Steve, B)
Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest