Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 05 Jun 2014 19:52 #635528

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Motor Head wrote:

toolmaker wrote: I'm just sorry that the flag got in such a hurry to get out of Seattle to sit in Bend for the last few weeks. I won't get to even see it. :angry:

I can't see how after 8 months in Seattle, it could possibly considered a a "Hurry"! Poor Schuss was getting Hammered for having it for so long, as No One would step up. I took it to him and really thought for sure there would be another hand off. But i went and retrieved it, to move it along on its next leg, which is not a short ride at all. We will do 850 + miles in two days, and still be ready for more! :evil:
Then it will have been about a month in Bend, as that was the weekend that Slayer could fit into his schedule, and also mine.
Three other weekends in that time I have had Bike rides, including Dirt Bikes. Then there is always planning and maintenance to do.
:lol: :woohoo:

Absolutely! How can 8+ months be considered a hurry! The flag could have been picked up from Schuss by the next rider during that time, but one delay after another kept it stuck in his hands. Thank you Motor Head for going the extra mileS to get the flag back in motion! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Jun 2014 05:01 #635555

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19

Forrest wrote:

toolmaker wrote: I'm just sorry that the flag got in such a hurry to get out of Seattle to sit in Bend for the last few weeks. I won't get to even see it. :angry:

Looks like a nice ride between Beaverton and Bend, only about 170 miles. I suggest getting on your bike and ride over! :blink:

Tried that, but there was no one there. Life just gets in the way I guess! Like I said - sorry.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Jun 2014 07:13 #635570

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

toolmaker wrote:

Forrest wrote:

Looks like a nice ride between Beaverton and Bend, only about 170 miles. I suggest getting on your bike and ride over! :blink:

Tried that, but there was no one there. Life just gets in the way I guess! Like I said - sorry.

Toolmaker,
For whatever reason you couldn't meet up with the relay, its to bad. It really has been fun riding and meeting up with other members. The Rally should Really be great!!!! B)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Jun 2014 10:40 #635590

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 268
So last weekend my wife and I went out "pre-running" our route to Lassen for this weekend and upon our return I noticed that the Big gpz had a damaged spark plug. A simple enough fix as I had spare plugs in the shop, but my wife is a great help in the shop. Here she is putting her tank back on after the repair. She's really looking forward to this and very excited as it will be her first "long" motorcycle trip.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Jun 2014 19:03 #635619

• Motor Head
  • User

slayer61 wrote: So last weekend my wife and I went out "pre-running" our route to Lassen for this weekend and upon our return I noticed that the Big gpz had a damaged spark plug. A simple enough fix as I had spare plugs in the shop, but my wife is a great help in the shop. Here she is putting her tank back on after the repair. She's really looking forward to this and very excited as it will be her first "long" motorcycle trip.

I guess I'll here all about it tomorrow. We are all packed up and ready to go. Heading out about 7am in the morning.
Sounds like it will be quite hot during the day, so I hope the Lodge has plenty of cold beer when we show up, I know I'll feel like a few.
Ride safe and have a good time, hopefully the one plug issue is behind you now. :)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Jun 2014 19:07 #635621

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
East/central states? It has already been everywhere but the south western states. You could join us for the Relay Rally in CO.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 08 Jun 2014 17:40 #635825

• Motor Head
  • User
its OFFICIAL, The Flag is in California!!!
Handed to Slayer/ Paul and his wife in Mineral CA on Saturday afternoon.
What a ride!! Down and back in 2 days. We rode some great back roads today, and a few on the way down on Saturday. We found one road out of the Lava Beds National Park which was Loaded with Venomous Tar Snakes!! It wasn't even that hot, and the other roads were fine. All of a sudden you ride into a few corners where they were laying, ready to strike!! It was like finding gravel in a turn, you get real loose and your ass puckers up tight!!
I'll see if I can Map it out and post it.
722 miles by there map, but we logged just over 800 on our bikes.
goo.gl/maps/plaJy

Here is a picture of Slayer/ Paul with the Flag!

And check out this road, smooth paved road and No traffic, even in California!!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, bluej58, KZJOE900

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 08 Jun 2014 18:24 #635835

• 650ed
  • User
WELL DONE !!!!

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 08 Jun 2014 18:37 #635837

• Motor Head
  • User

650ed wrote: WELL DONE !!!!

Thanks for the support 650ed!!!
Were already mapping out the ride route to 4 corners for the Rally !!!!!!!!!!!
Not set in Stone, but maybe something like this:
goo.gl/maps/3RkDa

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 08 Jun 2014 18:39 #635839

• 650ed
  • User
New map......

Attachment MAP_2014-06-08.jpg not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 08 Jun 2014 18:45 #635842

• Motor Head
  • User

650ed wrote: New map......

Attachment MAP_2014-06-08.jpg not found

Should it get sent to AK and HI???
Or should it just head to 4 corners for the rally, then worry about continuing on to other places? :unsure:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 08 Jun 2014 18:52 #635844

• 650ed
  • User
I haven't seen any postings by KZ owners in Alaska or Hawaii, so I guess there's nobody there interested in participating. :( Ed

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 09 Jun 2014 03:33 #635887

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Most of Canada still need to be hit too. :whistle:
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 09 Jun 2014 04:53 #635892

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
I think it needs to finish up here and then go to Canada.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 09 Jun 2014 05:41 #635893

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Sounds like an epic ride Motorhead! Great job from Salyer and the Mrs. What was the exact location of the hand off? Post more pictures if you have any. Looks like beautiful country.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 09 Jun 2014 06:48 #635900

• Motor Head
  • User

KZJOE900 wrote: Sounds like an epic ride Motorhead! Great job from Salyer and the Mrs. What was the exact location of the hand off? Post more pictures if you have any. Looks like beautiful country.

That was at the campground, Mineral Lodge, Mineral California.
Hopefully Slayer will post some more pictures.

Attachments:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 09 Jun 2014 08:17 #635905

• slayer61
  • User
Yup, it's official! The flag is in California! We also left early Saturday morning with only one cup of coffee in us and a long trip ahead of us, so somewhere near Placerville Ca, we stopped to increase the caffeine level at a local gas station.

But past Placerville, but before Coloma, my wife had a little mishap on a curvy section and threw her bike down causing her some embarrassment and a little bit of road rash to her and the bike.

Not to be deterred, she motored on until lunchtime where we found a great little café on the side of the road and stopped for lunch at the Coyoteville Café.

It's right here on the map :)

Past the café, the road was so beautiful, that I just had to stop for a photo op.

Eventually we came to Quincy Ca, where we came across an independent bike shop with a fantastic staff who helped us out immensely! If you are ever in the neighborhood, be sure to stop in at Sierra Cycle Center and say Hi. My wife wanted to stop to see if they might be able to help her out with her missing mirror from her tip over some miles back.

Andy the owner said he has some FJR mirrors at home that just might work. 5 minutes later he is back with the mirrors and quickly has a replacement installed and hands me the matching right side mirror for when we get home. Total price for 2 new mirrors and one installation??? $50!

So I have to give a big shout-out to Sierra Cycle Center for helping us out! Thanks Andy!

Eventually we make it to the Lodge in Lassen and meet up with Daryl "motorhead" and his buddy Dave for dinner and the flag hand off

Keep in mind this lodge is in the middle of nowhere and there isn't gas for MILES around and I arrived on the 1100 on reserve! :ohmy: Daryl and Dave were kind enough to provide me with a "six pack" of gas, so that I could make it to the next filling station! :blush: :blush:

So we part ways the following morning, only this time I'M on the 550! :woohoo: and we head for home

Oh yes, the ever popular "selfy"

So we ultimately make it home safe and sound, tired hot and thirsty, but we had a GREAT weekend riding for the flag and look forward to the next trip! Slayer61 Paul!

Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ, 650ed, saxjonz, Forrest, Motor Head, KZJOE900

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 10 Jun 2014 06:03 #636016

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 278
Great job good reporting
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 10 Jun 2014 13:18 #636061

• slayer61
  • User
Fellas, I just want you all to know how proud I am of my wife! She is such a trooper and has been on many rides with me over the years, but this one was by far the longest she has been on in her short riding career.

To take a spill in the early part of the ride, get up, brush herself off and soldier on for another 500 miles in a weekend... it takes a tough person, man or woman to accomplish what she did.

She's home and licking her wounds now. As some of you already know, falling off a motorcycle is just the beginning of the pain. The REAL pain doesn't set in for a day or so.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 10 Jun 2014 13:22 #636062

• slayer61
  • User
Trianglelaguna-
You're next brother! Get that spark plug hole fixed and let's get this flag relay moving along. You have my contact info. let's hook up and meet for dinner sometime soon. Paul