Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 16 Mar 2014 09:45 #625410

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
hi all........so the flag is past from state line to state line on a relay type of drive?
why not make it like the hot rod power tour.......cruise from state to state venues.
so if im in Georgia were would i need to go and drive to?
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 07:14 #625526

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm almost ready to go get it, I think it is in Seattle now.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 08:58 #625536

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

toolmaker wrote: I'm almost ready to go get it, I think it is in Seattle now.

According to this last posting, it is in Seattle with schuss. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/50...leg?start=480#609900
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 09:19 #625538

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Awesome I was just wondering about the flag and when we would see some more movement again. I know you guys up north have had a tough winter. Who is on the plan to help us get this thing moved? I know we have a few guys in Cali now. Toolmaker, have you been in contact with anyone to hand it off to? Do we have anyone in Nevada?
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 12:08 #625548

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Spring is definitely on its way. AND, let's not forget about British Columbia. It is still early enough to circulate it to our Canadian brothers like Killman and others.

Kaw-a-holic, We have a KZ Rider in Eastern California, Baldy. He may be able to transport the Flag into & through Nevada when he rides over for the KZ Rider Relay Rally. Hopefully we can get some Nevada residents to participate. AND, you might just be the first to relay the flag twice while living in two states! B)

As for Spdygon, the Relay Flag was in Georgia in 2012, I believe. Go to the link 650ed posted. It has the more complete story. I am starting to think we just make this an ongoing relay and when one flag gets filled up with signatures we create another flag. In a few years we could end up with this big ole quilt like thing! :lol:
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 17:11 #625587

• schuss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I have it in Seattle currently and am ready to go, just need to know where and when so I can make plans. I went for a ride Saturday, it's been great up here. A little wet around the edges but nothing I'm not used to. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest, kaw-a-holic

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 17:21 #625589

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

schuss wrote: I have it in Seattle currently and am ready to go, just need to know where and when so I can make plans. I went for a ride Saturday, it's been great up here. A little wet around the edges but nothing I'm not used to. B)

Hey Schuss good hearing from you and glad to read your weather is improving.

Here is an idea, why don't you see if you can stir Killman up. Maybe he has his KZ sorted out by now and can get the Flag into Canada for a quick spin this spring!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 18:34 #625591

• spdygon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
does anyone post pics of this flag relay........
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2014 19:23 #625597

• 650ed
  • User

spdygon wrote: does anyone post pics of this flag relay........

Many. They start here:

www.kzrider.com/forum/17-ride-reports/50...e-photo-album#508405

Ed

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 27 Mar 2014 19:40 #626843

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Forrest wrote:

schuss wrote: I have it in Seattle currently and am ready to go, just need to know where and when so I can make plans. I went for a ride Saturday, it's been great up here. A little wet around the edges but nothing I'm not used to. B)

Hey Schuss good hearing from you and glad to read your weather is improving.

Here is an idea, why don't you see if you can stir Killman up. Maybe he has his KZ sorted out by now and can get the Flag into Canada for a quick spin this spring!

Killman seems pretty busy with an H2 and doing taxes. Take the flag down to Motorhead or anybody south. It's time to ride!! Get it moving so we can complete the relay before the Rally starts. Time to get off the pot. It's been ten days since Shuss said the weather is good for riding and nothing has been planned. This thread should be hopping with activity and plans, but....Nothing!! Get on it you guys, time's a-wasting.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 27 Mar 2014 21:22 #626855

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
  • Thank you received: 12
Okay, I've stayed away from this thread for quite a while, but I figure it's time to pop in a comment. It may not be popular, but some folks need to hear it.

I am busy right now, but that's not why I won't be participating. I found a lot of the attitude around the relay to be pretty negative last fall, and frankly, as a Canadian, I found it offensive. We're just as proud of our country as the Americans are of theirs. That's why I was so excited at the prospect of a North American ride. North America doesn't just mean, 'Merica, f**k YEAH! Our Provinces are pretty much the same thing as your states. Very different, very large, too. It was going to be an honour to try to include as many of them as possible. There's a whole lot of amazing country West of Ontario. Hell, I even wanted to try for Alaska.
I felt like the fat kid at the party, like it was a burden that I wanted to participate. I was under the impression that once I bowed out, the flag got hustled off South to California, to "complete" the relay. Although how you could figure it was going to be completed without hitting all of the states and provinces eludes me. If I'd known it was just going to sit in Seattle all winter I would've ignored all the hot air being blown around, finished off the bike and done something with the flag.
Now I just feel pretty negative towards the whole thing. Keep in mind there were some extremely supportive members that offered encouragement and advice, and I thank you guys genuinely. But if you're hearing enough negativity for long enough, the cool and fun factor shrivels up.
I was expending a lot of time and effort to be a part of this. It wasn't going to be a cheap or easy trip for me, either. That being said, I did learn a few things along the way, and I'm helping to organize a benefit ride in June for Killer Whales here on the Island. It's going to be a lot of fun. Like it should be.
No hard feelings on my part. Just try to keep in mind that this kind of thing is supposed to be a positive experience for everyone involved.
Ride safe and enjoy the rally.
1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

Last edit: by Killman.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 05:06 #626870

• toolmaker
  • User
The weather here was good for 2 days and is back to rain - 1 1/2 inches yesterday.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 07:53 #626887

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1281

Killman wrote: Okay, I've stayed away from this thread for quite a while, but I figure it's time to pop in a comment. It may not be popular, but some folks need to hear it.

I am busy right now, but that's not why I won't be participating. I found a lot of the attitude around the relay to be pretty negative last fall, and frankly, as a Canadian, I found it offensive. We're just as proud of our country as the Americans are of theirs. That's why I was so excited at the prospect of a North American ride. North America doesn't just mean, 'Merica, f**k YEAH! Our Provinces are pretty much the same thing as your states. Very different, very large, too. It was going to be an honour to try to include as many of them as possible. There's a whole lot of amazing country West of Ontario. Hell, I even wanted to try for Alaska.
I felt like the fat kid at the party, like it was a burden that I wanted to participate. I was under the impression that once I bowed out, the flag got hustled off South to California, to "complete" the relay. Although how you could figure it was going to be completed without hitting all of the states and provinces eludes me. If I'd known it was just going to sit in Seattle all winter I would've ignored all the hot air being blown around, finished off the bike and done something with the flag.
Now I just feel pretty negative towards the whole thing. Keep in mind there were some extremely supportive members that offered encouragement and advice, and I thank you guys genuinely. But if you're hearing enough negativity for long enough, the cool and fun factor shrivels up.
I was expending a lot of time and effort to be a part of this. It wasn't going to be a cheap or easy trip for me, either. That being said, I did learn a few things along the way, and I'm helping to organize a benefit ride in June for Killer Whales here on the Island. It's going to be a lot of fun. Like it should be.
No hard feelings on my part. Just try to keep in mind that this kind of thing is supposed to be a positive experience for everyone involved.

Killman,
Speaking for myself only, I'm surprised that your Canadian sensibilities are so easily sent reeling. You complain about negativity and then make comments like: "If I'd known it was just going to sit in Seattle all winter I would've ignored all the hot air being blown around, finished off the bike and done something with the flag." There are a lot of personalities here, not all of 'em are on the same page.
I suggest that you man up and get to work on your stuff, whatever that may be.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest, Motor Head, Gary - K7GLD

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 08:37 #626892

• 650ed
  • User

Killman wrote: Okay, I've stayed away from this thread for quite a while, but I figure it's time to pop in a comment. It may not be popular, but some folks need to hear it.

Wow! I must have missed part of this thread or something. I didn't see anyone turned down who was ready and willing to carry the flag. It is still in Seattle, so why not pick it up? Regarding the comment "...how you could figure it was going to be completed without hitting all of the states and provinces eludes me." - were there volunteers to ride the flag though all ten Canadian provinces? I don't recall that many Canadians asking to participate, so I figured folks there just don't own old motorcycles, the weather is too cold, or the distances are too far to travel. To my knowledge no one from any state, province, or territory has been denied the opportunity to carry the flag, but if there are no willing participants in some areas how can those area be represented? I'm confused. Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head, Gary - K7GLD

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 09:14 #626897

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17

Wow! I must have missed part of this thread or something. I didn't see anyone turned down who was ready and willing to carry the flag. It is still in Seattle, so why not pick it up? Regarding the comment "...how you could figure it was going to be completed without hitting all of the states and provinces eludes me." - were there volunteers to ride the flag though all ten Canadian provinces? I don't recall that many Canadians asking to participate, so I figured folks there just don't own old motorcycles, the weather is too cold, or the distances are too far to travel. To my knowledge no one from any state, province, or territory has been denied the opportunity to carry the flag, but if there are no willing participants in some areas how can those area be represented? I'm confused. Ed

ABSOLUTELY!

No need to fire flames on a non-existent issue, or a "poor me" attitude, but as *I* recall, there have been a NUMBER of requests for Canadian participants - but precious FEW showed up to volunteer - and yeah, since the flag IS up near the border, WHERE ARE the Canadian volunteers NOW?

C'mon guys, both USA and Canadians, this is a GROUP effort, not a divisive or elitist one...
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 09:18 #626898

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Ed, I am not confused at all. Bill and you pretty much summed it up. It is a shame that some KZ riders feel the need to rationalize their behavior and/or actions. It is a further shame that some here get too caught up in "hurry up & move The Flag" or "my feelings are hurt & I won't play with you now." When The Flag stalled in The Great Plains, I did not complain or criticize, I simply went out there, picked up The Flag and carried it to another positive attitude KZ Rider. Heck, that KZ Rider even damaged his bike and could have been seriously injured while transporting The Flag toward the Northwest from the Rocky Mountain States. Did he even once blame the KZ Rider Relay for his misfortune, NO! Because he is a mature man who made his own choices and is responsible for his own actions. He has been resilient and such a positive person that he will be at the KZ Rider Relay Rally with his repaired bike. He embodies the TRUE spirit of this KZ Rider Forum IMHO. Yes, I have been supportive to anyone willing to pick up the Relay Flag and carry it. However, it is abundantly clear it is time to move on. Let's just not move on with so much impatience or attitude that this turns into something it was never intended to be. Let's keep it fun & simple: Particpate & Enjoy Life, OR Don't Participate Yet Support Those That Do.

ATTN: Any positive open minded West Coast Canadians or Alaskans interested in participating in The NORTH AMERICAN Relay Ride? We would love to have you participate. All that is required is a vintage Kawasaki preferably a KZ or Z model(1970's, 1980's, even early 90's). OH!, and don't forget riding gear, at least a bit more than thin skin. :dry: :side: Carry On! Literally... Carry On! ;) B)

Last edit: by Forrest. Reason: Further Thoughts

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 18:47 #626941

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
So is the Flag Not going into British Columbia to Killman?
If not I don't remember any other Canadian who had been active, wanting to take part ion the Relay last Fall. There were a few the first year, but things changed dramatically the second year, No where near as many members interested for who knows what reasons.
There are still 4 months till the Rally, which one would think should be still plenty of time to move it through the remaining USA States.
Personally, I will take the Flag through more states if needed. I have a Bike trip to N California planned in early June. Last year we had Slayer61 down by Sacramento, who would like to take part. Haven't heard from him, but have his contact details at the ready, if they haven't changed.
Toolmaker has wanted to do the Seattle back to Portland leg, and maybe more if it fits his schedule. If for some reason he can't do his leg, I'll go back to meet Schuss again, any weekend he wants, unless I have plans. Supposed to go over to Portland next weekend for the big swap meets, but that's in a truck. Got Corvallis Oregon Vintage Motorcycle ride coming up also, then a Dirt Bike Poker Run, in may.
Please keep everyone informed as to whether you can/ want to take part in the relay, where you want to ride, and the acceptable distance you can travel.
Cheers.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 28 Mar 2014 22:10 #626948

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52
Oh, goody. I kicked the hive and got ya'll buzzing. :laugh: Now lets quit squableing and get down to the business of moving the flag. And what's wrong with a "hurry up and move the flag attitude"? A lot of folks have been frustrated with the delays in the past 2 years. i'm not alone. Especially the folks that have yet to get a chance to move the flag. So who's next on the trail?
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 29 Mar 2014 11:02 #627000

• toolmaker
  • User

TomW wrote: Oh, goody. I kicked the hive and got ya'll buzzing. :laugh: Now lets quit squableing and get down to the business of moving the flag. And what's wrong with a "hurry up and move the flag attitude"? A lot of folks have been frustrated with the delays in the past 2 years. i'm not alone. Especially the folks that have yet to get a chance to move the flag. So who's next on the trail?

I guess I am, but I'm old and don't like being cold and wet. A few hours to meet with Schuss shouldn't be a problem in the next few weeks, but I haven't heard from anyone in northern California that is ready.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 31 Mar 2014 06:50 #627189

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

toolmaker wrote:

TomW wrote: Oh, goody. I kicked the hive and got ya'll buzzing. :laugh: Now lets quit squableing and get down to the business of moving the flag. And what's wrong with a "hurry up and move the flag attitude"? A lot of folks have been frustrated with the delays in the past 2 years. i'm not alone. Especially the folks that have yet to get a chance to move the flag. So who's next on the trail?

I guess I am, but I'm old and don't like being cold and wet. A few hours to meet with Schuss shouldn't be a problem in the next few weeks, but I haven't heard from anyone in northern California that is ready.

Then I suggest going and getting The Flag on a Fair Weather Day. I bet Schuss would even meet you part way. The Relay Flag will at least move. Motorhead is stepping up once again and offering to assist. Just getting The Relay Flag passed along will spark interest plus it is moving closer to more riders. Once it is closer to Northern CA, there will likely be more interest. As the saying goes, "Just Do It!"

As far as Tom's comments, I am all for The Relay Flag moving. I would like to see as many Riders participate as possible. Again, let's keep this fun. There really is no true cast in stone time frame. Let's just get out and ride. I know I did yesterday; it was 25 degrees when I headed out and eventually saw 55 degrees by mid afternoon. I put on 445 miles and had a blast. And, I wasn't even carrying a Flag.

Last edit: by Forrest.