Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 03 Oct 2013 09:47 #608637

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

toolmaker wrote: I'm still here....under water mostly. Last weekend we set records and it just isn't fun to ride in that stuff anymore.
Between weather, wife's operations and building a new shop it has been an interesting summer.
Feel free to call me Schuss, maybe we can set something up for this weekend.

Toolmaker, any thoughts about what you will do with the flag once you get the hand off from Schuss? Plan on moving it south? Its a long way to Slayer61. He is the only other contact south. No one else has spoken up that is closer. He can't ride do to health reasons, but would be a good anchor man. If you want you can pass it back to me again, and I'll take it the long way south.
A year ago last weekend the weather was beautiful, and we did a 1000mi trip down into N CA over to the coast. This year completely different weather, with cold temps and a lot of moisture.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 03 Oct 2013 11:15 #608641

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 267
Thanks fellas for keeping me in your thoughts, prayers and plans! Surgery was successful and I have been cleared to go back to (light duty) work! I would really enjoy being a part of this relay, but due to the location of the surgery, I can't spend extended periods sitting down.... if you know what I mean! Ouch! If you guys can hang on to the flag until spring time, I would be happy to ride up and meet you at the halfway point. I could then relay it down to trianglelaguna "Craig" and we would be back in business. I look forward to meeting you guys. Paul
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 04 Oct 2013 08:47 #608745

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm not adverse to riding a longer distance sometime in the spring - it is getting cold and wet with regularity here and I have had a busy fall. I'm still trying to get it from Seattle. Maybe by spring someone will show up in southern Oregon. Anything anybody wants to do is OK with me as long as I can be a part of it.
Glad you're feeling better Slayer61 :cheer:
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 11 Oct 2013 23:35 #609726

• Motor Head
  • User
Any thing happening with the Flag or is it staying in Seattle?
Hi to all the guys who have taken part in the relay, and hope to see more riders join in and take part.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 12 Oct 2013 10:57 #609761

• toolmaker
  • User
As far as I know, it is still in Seattle.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 12 Oct 2013 11:14 #609763

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
I participated in the MidWest part of the rally (across Indiana) and it is good to see it on the West Coast. Is it going to winter in Seattle?
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 12 Oct 2013 11:36 #609767

• Motor Head
  • User

toolmaker wrote: As far as I know, it is still in Seattle.

Yes Schuss has said its still in his hands.
Toolmaker Are you planning on meeting up with him yet this month, or will it be sometime later, like next spring?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 13 Oct 2013 11:58 #609850

• toolmaker
  • User
It is getting darker, wetter and colder here every day and I just turned 65. Warm feels better these days LOL. Maybe spring would be better and we might get someone from California interested by then. Even if I got it from Schuss it would probably sit here all winter.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 13 Oct 2013 18:01 #609883

• Motor Head
  • User
Spring may not bring much better weather or temps than now. We call it Juneuary here, as it usually gets cold and rainy in June. July is hot and dry though, through August at least.
If it was in Portland by next Saturday evening, I'd come get it, then take it to Lodi the following weekend which is a 4 day one for me. 1200 mi round trip, + the jaunt to Portland & back.
Otherwise I guess it will stay where it is till ??????
And it would be nice to see it next August at the Rally in 4 Corners. It still has a few States left to cross.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 13 Oct 2013 18:05 #609885

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
  • Thank you received: 12
Not to mention it still has a LOT of Canada to see. Unless you guys have decided that the North American part of the relay is a bust and just want to do the lower 48.
I'm deep in tax qualifications, but if the flag is within reach next Spring I can clean up, up here.

Seems kinda shitty to abandon the original idea of making it a North American thing, but it is what it is I guess.
1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 13 Oct 2013 18:20 #609887

• Motor Head
  • User
Its Been in Seattle for 6 weeks, I think that's about the longest its sat anywhere during what is still riding season, but I could be wrong.
While it may change with the warmer weather next spring, at the moment there are NO riders coming forward to pick up the Flag and move it in Any Direction. I personally had high hopes to have a NW relay that progressed some during September, and now its mid October with no progress.
Others may chime in and say thats fine, just me being disappointed I guess. It all sounded like it would happen, just hasn't turned out that way. I've made the offer and it stands, I can take it to Slayer61 on the last weekend of October if needed. Maybe some long johns might be needed under the riding gear in Oregon, but CA should be plenty warm.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 13 Oct 2013 21:32 #609900

• schuss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

Motor Head wrote: Its Been in Seattle for 6 weeks, I think that's about the longest its sat anywhere during what is still riding season, but I could be wrong.
While it may change with the warmer weather next spring, at the moment there are NO riders coming forward to pick up the Flag and move it in Any Direction. I personally had high hopes to have a NW relay that progressed some during September, and now its mid October with no progress.
Others may chime in and say thats fine, just me being disappointed I guess. It all sounded like it would happen, just hasn't turned out that way. I've made the offer and it stands, I can take it to Slayer61 on the last weekend of October if needed. Maybe some long johns might be needed under the riding gear in Oregon, but CA should be plenty warm.

I do still have the flag in Seattle - I'm not trying to hoard it or anything B) I tried really hard to not hang onto it at all and keep it moving, as I really didn't want to be the one that ended up holding it (and inviting the ire of all the warm-states riders all winter). I tried every weekend for 5 straight weeks to give it away! :laugh:

I could still meet someone (this weekend would have been great) and the 20th or even the 27th might still work, although I don't have proper cold weather gear so if it's sub-50-degree weather I'm not going to venture more than a few hours from home.

This my busy season at work and I travel during the week almost every week, to places the flag hasn't yet been like Las Vegas and San Francisco. I didn't want to be the one to suggest it, but I can always break the rules and deliver it to someone by hand.... just putting that out there, I won't be the one to make that call but I can be the one to do the dirty work if people are really getting frustrated.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Oct 2013 00:54 #609923

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
Wow, I guess if you still have it by December, I could trailer from Chicago and ride it down the coast to parts south. I can't believe no one has ponied up yet. :huh:
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Oct 2013 08:56 #609947

• toolmaker
  • User
I can't make it on the 20th - I have 20 family members coming to my house that day.
I also should have the roof on the new shop this week (high priority).
I have gear to ride when it is cold but no rain gear so we can try for the 27th. Then if anyone wants to marathon over it would be fine with me.
Who knew life could be so complicated?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Oct 2013 09:49 #609950

• Motor Head
  • User

toolmaker wrote: I can't make it on the 20th - I have 20 family members coming to my house that day.
I also should have the roof on the new shop this week (high priority).
I have gear to ride when it is cold but no rain gear so we can try for the 27th. Then if anyone wants to marathon over it would be fine with me.
Who knew life could be so complicated?

If it takes till the 27th, I won't be able to do anything, as I would have to be back to work the very next day. I would have to have it happen the Saturday before, the 19th. If you meet Schuss then, and had the Flag back in Portland, I'd come get it from you like I said. Otherwise, well it may stay in Seattle. At least its in good hands, Schuss is a good guy, wish we could have spent some time out riding when we meet up last Labor Day Weekend. When I ride up there again to visit my relo's, I'll be giving Schuss a call for a ride. ;)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 15 Oct 2013 10:07 #610065

• toolmaker
  • User
Family is coming either the 19th or 20th - plans are still in flux and I will find out today. Sometimes it is good to be busy - Sometimes!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Oct 2013 10:00 #610438

• Motor Head
  • User
Absolutely Fantastic Fall weather here in the PNW at the moment and forecast for the next 7 days. Highs in the mid 60's after a cool morning, here in the high desert that means below freezing at night, but 60 something by 2pm.
B)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 16 Jan 2014 12:48 #618858

• bluekzredstripe
  • User
  • Road trippin
  • Thank you received: 0
Anybody have any idea about Southern California KZ group rides?
Where do they meet?
It is January, we currently have 80 degree weather.
Thanks
Dan R
A KZ is a work of art in progress.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 17 Jan 2014 12:26 #618980

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Hey Dan, You might try your local bike shops for some info. The "Bike Related" and "Ride Report" forums here can be a resource or at least a place to post up your announcement/interest in group rides. Also, you might try the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club(VJMC) for a chapter in your area to ride with other similiar era bikes. >>> vjmc.org/calendar.shtml

Good Luck finding a group in your area.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 16 Mar 2014 09:16 #625403

• Motor Head
  • User
Bump!
Are people getting their bikes ready? Where and when is the next hand off? Please post a response if your going to take part in the relay this Spring. As it is basically here. Nice weather on and off at the moment and plenty good enough for moving the flag.

Last edit: by Motor Head.