TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 00:12 #601338

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17

Motor Head wrote: Gary - K7GLD wrote
"
Given the distance you are proposing to travel from Bend to Boise, and then on, sorta makes sense to try to meet up with Toolmaker at someplace like the Dalles for the handoff, then he could start the route on up north - then you'd have an easy ride down the 97 thru Madras, and on home - about the same distance, and one more handoff and flag progress... "

You wouldn't sentence me to a 97 ride from the Dalles to Bend would you? :sick: Booooooring :silly:
I've got a couple of other rides to go from the same two places,but not on 97, or at least much. For one thing thats where the cops are, and the traffic.
Personally the distances are not a problem, but a great trip/ adventure. I'm looking at several mother side excursions as well. 3 days of riding is what I have planned. Didn't ride last weekend, or the weekend before so I got to make up a bit. :P

YUP - I agree, 97 isn't the most exciting road to ride...

Things still looking OK then for you to get back into my area next Monday?

Had the KZ out for another check-out yesterday - looks like we're both good to go...
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 00:17 #601339

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Sure looks like it, Gary. I got Monday off of work. We'll have to just how it all pans out, But yes that should be the plan. Monday return, through or near JD. Once the Boise meet happens, and I see where Kaw-a-holic wants to ride. Then i'll know better. I worked up another side trip near Ontario, going back into Oregon across the Snake River on a old back road which has a bridge. :)
Check this out:
goo.gl/maps/GDrwX
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 00:42 #601343

• mike0537
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
How bout this, I'll just meet up with you guys on Sunday when you guys are ready to get on the road. So let me know what time that is and I'll be there. Guess I'm not sure which way you are planning to head out. Are you guys planning on riding together for a ways? Like up towards McCall? Either way I'll come meet up and ride a while. Just give me a time and place, even if it's at the campground.
1980 KZ750E

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 00:49 #601345

• Motor Head
  • User
I was hoping that would be the case, ride together for awhile. Not sure about Kaw-a-holics plans. I know we are meeting Saturday at the campground. But Nothing firm at all after that. I'd say we can meet on Sunday for Coffee/ Breakfast in either Horseshoe Bend or Emmet. I'm pretty easy about it all.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 00:55 #601346

• mike0537
  • User
I will just meet up in Horseshoe Bend on Sunday. I'll ride for a while with you, no matter the direction and then drop off when I'm ready. Guess we need to come up with a time and place exactly.

How about The Corner Cafe Bar and Grill in Horseshoe Bend? They have good hot chocolate. I know they are open early for breakfast.
1980 KZ750E

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 00:59 #601348

• Motor Head
  • User

mike0537 wrote: I will just meet up in Horseshoe Bend on Sunday. I'll ride for a while with you, no matter the direction and then drop off when I'm ready. Guess we need to come up with a time and place exactly.

How about The Corner Cafe Bar and Grill in Horseshoe Bend? They have good hot chocolate. I know they are open early for breakfast.

Sounds good to me. I get going pretty early. I have no Idea about Kaw-a-holic, he may want to sleep a bit. 8am to early?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 01:23 #601349

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

Motor Head wrote:

mike0537 wrote: I will just meet up in Horseshoe Bend on Sunday. I'll ride for a while with you, no matter the direction and then drop off when I'm ready. Guess we need to come up with a time and place exactly.

Sounds good to me. I get going pretty early. I have no Idea about Kaw-a-holic, he may want to sleep a bit. 8am to early?

That's a perfect plan gentlemen. 8am is fine by me since we will need to get breakfast and do the flag exchange. I will get the flag signed, journal completed and pictures taken.

Can't wait to Meer and ride with you guys. I didn't get Monday off so since they "need" me there soon badly they may have to deal with 3 days of motorcycle funk. LOL, their choice not mine.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: goodfastncheap

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic. Reason: Added additional information

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 01:26 #601350

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38
Thank you guys! You guys are cool for helping with the relay! Kaw-a-holic has it at this very moment and it's totally neat that he can ride with and hand off that dam flag to some fellow enthusiasts!
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 01:29 #601352

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

goodfastncheap wrote: Thank you guys! You guys are cool for helping with the relay! Kaw-a-holic has it at this very moment and it's totally neat that he can ride with and hand off that dam flag to some fellow enthusiasts!

If I had it my way I would accompany the flag for the whole rest of the relay. It has truly been an honor to take part in such an epic undertaking B)
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: goodfastncheap, KZJOE900

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 01:53 #601357

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38

kaw-a-holic wrote:

goodfastncheap wrote: Thank you guys! You guys are cool for helping with the relay! Kaw-a-holic has it at this very moment and it's totally neat that he can ride with and hand off that dam flag to some fellow enthusiasts!

If I had it my way I would accompany the flag for the whole rest of the relay. It has truly been an honor to take part in such an epic undertaking B)

I'm glad I kept it long enough to meet Forrest and saxjonz. I hope to meet you at the 4 corners when the dam relay finally ends!
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 01:56 #601358

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
I will be there so long as I have enough of a heads up to take time off from work
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 03:08 #601364

• mike0537
  • User
Meet at 8 am. Sounds good. Okay with the place I suggested?
1980 KZ750E

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 09:45 #601375

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
OK, we are going to plan to take the flag north and take 3 days to get there and back. That should be enough to meet someone just about anywhere. Most likely we will take back roads both ways and stay in motels.

I can pick it up almost any day if it gets close to Portland and I don't have to ride more than an hour or so.

Who is planning to take the flag south on the way back from Canada? Maybe I can help there too.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 10:26 #601379

• kaw-a-holic
  • User

mike0537 wrote: Meet at 8 am. Sounds good. Okay with the place I suggested?

I'm good with that Mike
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Last edit: by kaw-a-holic.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 16:03 #601436

• barreto
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I know there was some discussion earlier about meeting in boise. There's a vintage bike show at Big Twin on saturday from 10am-2pm that a few of us are going to. Not sure if anyone else is interested.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 16:12 #601438

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
I will have to consider that it is only 2 hours frome Boise
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 16:27 #601441

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Fellow KZ Riders, I congratulate you all for stepping up. It is abosolutely inspiring to see so many of you communicating and developing relationships. You all have my respect and appreciation. Looking forward to a rally, or trip your way so I can meet more of you. You are definitely keeping the spirit of the Relay going! Respect.... B)
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 21:54 #601480

• Motor Head
  • User

toolmaker wrote: OK, we are going to plan to take the flag north and take 3 days to get there and back. That should be enough to meet someone just about anywhere. Most likely we will take back roads both ways and stay in motels.

I can pick it up almost any day if it gets close to Portland and I don't have to ride more than an hour or so.

Who is planning to take the flag south on the way back from Canada? Maybe I can help there too.

Sweet. I don't know who or when it may come back south from Canada. We have to look to Kilman to see what he has planned for the flag. I know he mentioned some other riders who Were ready before. But I don't know where they are or when they may ride/ meet etc. So I hope that once it gets back up there, it continues along, getting some miles on it. I wonder what the Mile tally is going to be when it gets to 4 corners?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 14 Aug 2013 22:53 #601491

• jeffasaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
we should plan a gathering for everyone when this relay is done
or we could just keep it going for ever
i wonder how many kms or miles its traveled
how many cool places and folks its seen so far
this is the coolest bike related thing ive ever been involved in
it makes me feel cooler than i really am
and i was pretty fucking cool before i did my part last year
78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 15 Aug 2013 00:48 #601515

• mike0537
  • User

barreto wrote: I know there was some discussion earlier about meeting in boise. There's a vintage bike show at Big Twin on saturday from 10am-2pm that a few of us are going to. Not sure if anyone else is interested.

I may show up to that on Saturday. Why don't you ride with us on Sunday? Thinking about a 140 mile loop.
1980 KZ750E