Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 00:08 #599880

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38
I would ride with sax and upncummr again anytime! Might need a ZrX to keep up. Couple crazy speed brothers on well-bought bikes there, eh?
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 10:40 #599914

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
So this coming weekend, it looks as though the flag will travel to Boise.
Unless someone else speaks up from Eastern Washington state, I'll use my plan to go meet mike in Boise to pick it up. Hopefully having some help from Gary-K7GLD, maybe KZCSI.
Then I'll look to pass it to Toolmaker in Portland. From there it looks a bit iffy yet. But Killman in BC wants to take part, and there is Schuss in Seattle are hopefully to pass it up to the Great White North. No idea what will happen if/ once that happens.
So maybe it will be in Killmans hands by Labor Day? Or if it stalls out somewhere on the route, I've got relo's in Issaquah, and may pay a visit via BC. B)
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 11:52 #599921

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511

upncummr wrote: saxjonz:

I'd be up for a long ride next year too. One possibility might be to trailer the bikes to Colorado and spend a few days riding in the Colorado Rockies. Or expanding that to include Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona.

Mrs bluej will be on a smaller bike and I really have no urge to ride through Kansas, sorry Kansas guys but the last time through there they wanted to give me and my buddy hairs cuts :whistle:
so we would be trailering the bikes out there.

A four corner hook up could be awesome and I have never ridin in Arizona or New Mexico but would like too .

I have ridin the Colorado river to Moab then headed over to Cortez, been through Mesa Verde, Durago to Montrose , Gunnison Natoinal forest, Leadville , Aspen, Pikes Peak and a whole bunch of places all the way to Montana.

All beautiful!!!

And would like to do it again with or with out the flag, hopefully "with" at some point

JD

Knifes Edge CO circa 1986

Colorado River , don't know where :blush:

Pikes Peak race
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 12:03 #599922

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511

The winning car / driver Michèle Mouton, incredibly faster then anyone else that day
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 12:49 #599926

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
goodfastncheap / blue58:

It sounds like a Colorado meet needs to be in the cards for next year; maybe August or September for me.

I've ridden just a little bit in Colorado on my brother's K1200RS (e.g. Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Leadville) and I've driven quite a few of the scenic drives in a car. It's a terrific place to spend some time.

Headquartering in Gunnison gives some great day trips in each direction and allows you to return to the same hotel each evening so there's a minimum of gear you need to take along each day during the ride.

Last edit: by upncummr.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 13:37 #599930

• schuss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

Motor Head wrote: So this coming weekend, it looks as though the flag will travel to Boise.
Unless someone else speaks up from Eastern Washington state, I'll use my plan to go meet mike in Boise to pick it up. Hopefully having some help from Gary-K7GLD, maybe KZCSI.
Then I'll look to pass it to Toolmaker in Portland. From there it looks a bit iffy yet. But Killman in BC wants to take part, and there is Schuss in Seattle are hopefully to pass it up to the Great White North. No idea what will happen if/ once that happens.
So maybe it will be in Killmans hands by Labor Day? Or if it stalls out somewhere on the route, I've got relo's in Issaquah, and may pay a visit via BC. B)

Sounds great - I should be able to help make the connection between Portland and BC.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 18:29 #599977

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178

goodfastncheap wrote: I would ride with sax and upncummr again anytime! Might need a ZrX to keep up. Couple crazy speed brothers on well-bought bikes there, eh?

What am I? Chopped Liver? :P

I will ride ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!.......Zoom! Zoom! Oh wait that is a Japanese Car Ad Slogan! :silly:
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 19:33 #599989

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

upncummr wrote: goodfastncheap / blue58:

It sounds like a Colorado meet needs to be in the cards for next year; maybe August or September for me.

I've ridden just a little bit in Colorado on my brother's K1200RS (e.g. Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Leadville) and I've driven quite a few of the scenic drives in a car. It's a terrific place to spend some time.

Headquartering in Gunnison gives some great day trips in each direction and allows you to return to the same hotel each evening so there's a minimum of gear you need to take along each day during the ride.

Blue and Upn, You both have the right idea! I have personally met both of you but you two have not met F2F! I would like to see you two meet. I would like to see more of us meet in person ;) There is nothing that I can think of that I would like more than to see as many KZ Rider Members meet as possible. There is a way.

Click on my Linky in the main sticky KZ Relay Ride Thread. >>>> www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/47...om?start=1080#599990

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 19:59 #599992

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16

Forrest wrote:

goodfastncheap wrote: I would ride with sax and upncummr again anytime! Might need a ZrX to keep up. Couple crazy speed brothers on well-bought bikes there, eh?

What am I? Chopped Liver? :P

Forrest:

I think it goes without saying that you'd be included in ANY invitation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 05 Aug 2013 22:43 #600014

• Motor Head
  • User

schuss wrote:

Motor Head wrote: So this coming weekend, it looks as though the flag will travel to Boise.

Sounds great - I should be able to help make the connection between Portland and BC.

You want to get a hold of both toolmaker and killman? They both have posts in this thread. I still might join in with toolmaker to make the hand off to you. We'll see. But I do have relo's up there, and a favorite ride up behind Mt. St Helens, Carson in the gorge to Randle then up the back roads to Issaquah. very little highway/ stop light riding.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 06 Aug 2013 00:16 #600045

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
  • Thank you received: 12
This is awesome! Labour Day should be doable, depending on when my boss wants me to start boning up on US tax law. I know my course starts that week, just not sure what day. I could always ride down a day or two earlier or later. Nothing's in stone yet, right? :laugh:

I just need to get some new tires, looks like some douche-tard ran a buck knife across the front one. Not that harsh a deal, they were Vee Rubbers left over from the PO. I was going to order some Shinko 777's from Canada's Motorcycle today, but they currently only have in stock a whitewall in the correct size for the rear. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow to see when they expect some more.

That and about a dozen other little tweaks and upgrades for a distance ride and I should be tip-top. :woohoo:
1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 06 Aug 2013 00:22 #600048

• Motor Head
  • User
I've got the 777 on the back of my Concours, and the 712 on the KZ. I've had 3 of the 712's on the KZ, all worked quite well rain or shine. But they don't last long for heavy hauling. I'll see how this 777 holds up on the Connie, as it a Tankcours for sure, heavy bike with bags and gear.
Hope all goes well for you. :)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 06 Aug 2013 10:51 #600081

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Not sure if this weekend will work or not. I forgot that this weekend is my anniversary. I have not heard back from the PM I sent Mike0357. I will try to contact him by phone today during my lunch break. Worse case is next weekend if it works out with Mike. I don't want to cheat Mike out of the opportunity to carry the flag.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 06 Aug 2013 11:42 #600091

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Killman wrote: This is awesome! Labour Day should be doable, depending on when my boss wants me to start boning up on US tax law. I know my course starts that week, just not sure what day. I could always ride down a day or two earlier or later. Nothing's in stone yet, right? :laugh:

I just need to get some new tires, looks like some douche-tard ran a buck knife across the front one. Not that harsh a deal, they were Vee Rubbers left over from the PO. I was going to order some Shinko 777's from Canada's Motorcycle today, but they currently only have in stock a whitewall in the correct size for the rear. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow to see when they expect some more.

That and about a dozen other little tweaks and upgrades for a distance ride and I should be tip-top. :woohoo:

Great to see a KZ Rider from Canada in the picture! B) Prepping the bike and a good shake down run is advised. My KZ650 ran great. I did discover that for the last 300 miles on day 4 of my return leg I had a brake shoe drop in the rear drum! :pinch: Bike still completed the nearly 1,900 mile loop from Omaha to Jackson, WY and back without any major issues.

I run Continental Conti GO! Tires on my KZ. They are available in actual standard sizes PLUS have a modern tread pattern and compound. Ran through one of the heaviest rain storms on both sides of Casper, WY for approx 100 miles with no hydro planing. They rail on corners great but will flat spot after a heavey load and some 2,000+ miles. Still plenty of tread on the rear. The front will last 2X as long as the rear. Rear should see 4,000 miles and front 8,000.

BTW, I just signed up and registered my KZ for the Cycle World Rolling Concours at the Indianapolis Moto GP August 16th-18th! Here is a link >>>> www.cycleworld.com/rolling-concours-2013/

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 06 Aug 2013 21:36 #600159

• Motor Head
  • User

kaw-a-holic wrote: Not sure if this weekend will work or not. I forgot that this weekend is my anniversary. I have not heard back from the PM I sent Mike0357. I will try to contact him by phone today during my lunch break. Worse case is next weekend if it works out with Mike. I don't want to cheat Mike out of the opportunity to carry the flag.

Thanks for posting and keeping us up to date. You can send me a PM also. I'll PM you my details, as it looks like when you pass the flag to Mike, I'll be next. So I need to arrange a extra day off of work, so I will need to know when etc. I could even meet Mike when he rides back from meeting with you, if that would work. Not sure what days you guys have been planning. Weekend? Mid Week? Friday- Sunday maybe Monday also works best for me.
Got it set up I belive to get it into Canada. Just when is the only question at the moment.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 07 Aug 2013 09:56 #600249

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19

Motor Head wrote:

schuss wrote:

You want to get a hold of both toolmaker and killman? They both have posts in this thread. I still might join in with toolmaker to make the hand off to you. We'll see. But I do have relo's up there, and a favorite ride up behind Mt. St Helens, Carson in the gorge to Randle then up the back roads to Issaquah. very little highway/ stop light riding.

I agree - highway east of Mt Rainier is awsome - no traffic, stoplights, gas.......

I'm going to have my new tires remounted.....the idiots punched both tubes!
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 09 Aug 2013 03:00 #600549

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
Okay guys i need your feedback. For some reason Mike0537 is no longer responding. I called him on 8/6/2013 and he was still at work. I advised that he could call any time to discuss the trip but i have not heard from him. I have also sent several PM's with no response. I have put in for a transfer to AZ so my time in MT is now very limited(unless the transfer does not go through). So do we give him more time or should we move on? Technically the flag has already been in Idaho, I just did not want to steal Mike's opportunity to ride with the flag.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 09 Aug 2013 03:19 #600551

• jeffasaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
we need a updated pic of the flag/flags
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: k
78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 09 Aug 2013 03:33 #600552

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
So Mike contacted me tonight, I feel bad he has a new job that requires most of his time. I have offered to take it all the way to Boise, ID have him ride with me out of town to meet up with Motor Head hopefully the same weekend.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 09 Aug 2013 10:04 #600569

• Motor Head
  • User
Good to hear this is going to happen. Which weekend please? I need to know ASAP so I can get some time off if needed.
B)