Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 05:04 #598846

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178

Gary - K7GLD wrote: BOY, this thread sure has DIED!

5 days since last post, the flag reportedly in Yellowstone area, headed our way out here in the Pacific North West - and.... SILENCE? :dry: :S :whistle:

Why don't you check out other related threads. >>>>

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/47...irelaycom?start=1080

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/50...ountain-leg?start=40

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/50...ride-leg-3?start=640

www.kzrider.com/forum/17-ride-reports/50...hoto-album?start=200

Some of us have been a bit busy helping out. The Flag IS NOW closer to you and other Northwesters.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 10:06 #598868

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Just waiting...... :unsure:
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 10:15 #598871

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

toolmaker wrote: Just waiting...... :unsure:

X2.
Where are the people requesting to be part of the NW area relay? Canada, Eastern Washington?
Please join the relay, and post in either the main relay thread or here that you want to be involved.
Now is the time.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 15:49 #598929

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Ha! Yes! Now The Flag is nearer to you. My point is it will soon be with you KZ Riders in the Northwest. You will then be responsible for communicating, sharing, coordinating, AND actually riding in some Rider's direction that holds The Flag AND then expecting someone to come a bit in your direction too! Who cares if it goes to Canada from the top of the Rockies first. It will eventually get to the N.W. and down the coast. I spoke to another member, who made an excellent point, "There is no time limit and maybe this can become a perpetual relay" In other words, This is a common physical thread to aid us in getting out and meeting other enthusiasts. I must say after my experience it is worth a little time, money, road hazards, and potential mechanical issues. It made me think of the great effort pioneers went through when settling this great country. Oh Oh! I just started to go off on a rant! :laugh: Seriously, I hope The Flag never stops moving around the Continent. Enjoy the experience when it finally reaches your beautiful part of the world! B)

So, Don't Just Wait......DO!

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 16:22 #598939

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17
Seems to me THIS forum is most appropriate for tracking progress - the topic sez it all:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW !

Trying to do similar tracking thru the earlier legs and various threads gets sorta tedious.

As it is, I STILL have no idea WHERE the flag is as of today... :whistle:

AND yeah, guys out here in the NW states wanting to get involved better get off t he dime, and speak up!

My '83 is still here gassed up, and my heads finally clearing up - might be able to get a few miles on the old girl yet this year!
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 17:04 #598949

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Gary - K7GLD wrote: Seems to me THIS forum is most appropriate for tracking progress - the topic sez it all:

Trying to do similar tracking thru the earlier legs and various threads gets sorta tedious.

AND yeah, guys out here in the NW states wanting to get involved better get off t he dime, and speak up!

My '83 is still here gassed up, and my heads finally clearing up - might be able to get a few miles on the old girl yet this year!

Glad to read you are feeling better Gary! ;)

You want to know what is going on with The KZ North American Relay Ride, I suggest subscribing to this "Master Thread". >>>>

You want an update then read my posting there. You want an update without things being too tedious then go to the Leg Thread where the Flag is currently located in. The Flag is currently in the Rocky Mountains so go to the Rocky Mountain Leg 4 thread. >>> www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/50...ountain-leg?start=40

You want to participate and/or coordinate future riders in your neck of the woods then of course focus there.

I do believe you are familiar with these threads. Also, you may want to check out the Photo Album Thread for a visual documentary of the Relay. I and others will be posting up some pics there. >>>>

www.kzrider.com/forum/17-ride-reports/50...hoto-album?start=180

These threads will show you that myself and Saxjonz relayed The Flag to Kaw-a-holic in Jackson, Wyoming. He is now back in his home town of Missoula, MT and coordinating the next hand off.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 17:09 #598951

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75

schuss wrote:

I have a rec/reg off my '78 KZ 1000 LTD that's yours for the asking if you need it. I took it off to upgrade to an electronic unit for more reliability as I tend to ride long distances. It was working when removed with about 15k miles on it. PM me if interested.

Thanks! If there is an electronic upgrade unit that's more reliable, should I be doing that instead, though?

I highly suggest replacing your fuse box with a new one, even upgrading to the blade type fusebox. It's a great mod if you haven't already done so. Most of my issues with electrics stemmed from bad fusebox and battery cables. Of course there are other issues too with the perches (the starter button is a common issue after 30 some years of weather and abuse) but if you find them to be bad there are great replacements available. z1parts.net I ordered around a grand worth of stuff from sidecovers, tail fin to all the chrome bolts for my bike they had. That place sells quality stuff very cheap. I even bought a new set of gauges from them as I am doing a complete restoration on my bike. You can order from them with confidence whatever you need.
Z1enterprises is a really solid avenue as well. The owner as many of you know is absolutely top character. Some of their prices are a little higher but if you like customer service he is tops. Not to digress from the subject but I would NOT NOT NOT ride my bike anywhere without having gotten rid of those gremlins. It's not like a car. If you get a flat tire, providing you don't crash out because of it, you will be stranded for more than awhile till you find a place to ship you something. Now if you are talking a 300 mile trip that is one thing but like us when we went to Wyoming I definitely would not advise that.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 17:32 #598956

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Great riding with you as my Wing Man! I replaced the old fuse box on my KZ but with a newer tube type fuse box. If I would have known a more modern reliable blade unit was available, I would have gone that way. Thanks for that update. I remember you telling me this on our trek across Nebraska and Wyoming while carrying the North American Relay Flag. Funny you would not travel long distances without certain upgrades but you did not carry a tool kit! :P Good thing we complimented one another well on the Ride! ;) Thanks again!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 29 Jul 2013 20:18 #598980

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17

Forrest wrote:

Gary - K7GLD wrote: Seems to me THIS forum is most appropriate for tracking progress - the topic sez it all:

Glad to read you are feeling better Gary! ;)

You want to know what is going on with The KZ North American Relay Ride, I suggest subscribing to this "Master Thread". >>>>

You want an update then read my posting there. You want an update without things being too tedious then go to the Leg Thread where the Flag is currently located in. The Flag is currently in the Rocky Mountains so go to the Rocky Mountain Leg 4 thread. >>> www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/50...ountain-leg?start=40

You want to participate and/or coordinate future riders in your neck of the woods then of course focus there.

I do believe you are familiar with these threads. Also, you may want to check out the Photo Album Thread for a visual documentary of the Relay. I and others will be posting up some pics there. >>>>

www.kzrider.com/forum/17-ride-reports/50...hoto-album?start=180

These threads will show you that myself and Saxjonz relayed The Flag to Kaw-a-holic in Jackson, Wyoming. He is now back in his home town of Missoula, MT and coordinating the next hand off.

YUP - I'm subscribed to the "progress thread" you pointed to, and I try to keep up - but if THAT is the most current travel thread, what is THIS one supposed to be used for? With "progress" being more up-to-date on several other threads, wonder if potential riders out here in the west -now that the flag is getting nearer, might be unaware because they aren't watching the right thread?

Just a thought...

GREAT job riding, by the way!!!
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 31 Jul 2013 22:19 #599335

• Motor Head
  • User
Sure would be great to here from the current flag holder in Montana.
Mike in Boise would like to hear from you also.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 01 Aug 2013 00:25 #599362

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38
What I would do now is CHILL. kaw-a-holic has it, and he is tired from his leg. Just take your time and organize the legs west from Missoula, MT man. No hurry. Wow, why PRESS? sax and the mad duck went a third of the continent this past weekend, RIGHT?
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 01 Aug 2013 10:05 #599395

• Motor Head
  • User

goodfastncheap wrote: What I would do now is CHILL. kaw-a-holic has it, and he is tired from his leg. Just take your time and organize the legs west from Missoula, MT man. No hurry. Wow, why PRESS? sax and the mad duck went a third of the continent this past weekend, RIGHT?

Yes great ride by all involved, as with all of the riders taking part in the relay so far.
Hard to plan anything much when there has only been a few people expressing interest in the PNW so far, and No idea when/ where it goes next. Lots of discussion, I posted a tentative plan asking for input/ changes, but no replies. So as far as I know talking to Mike in Boise, he will be getting the Flag next, and would like to hand off possibly to me, as that is one plan.
Keeping this thread basically Top Posted to gain interest is one reason for "Pressing". Trying to gain some Current Contacts, as most who were pinned on the map are not answering PM's or been logging in. Member who was going to co-ordinate Washington state has not logged in since April. Hasn't posted in a relay thread in well over a year. So as you can see, just like the Rocky Mountain area, getting riders contacted and a plan might be tough.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 02 Aug 2013 09:22 #599509

• toolmaker
  • User
Well, I'm still here and waiting in the Portland area....real close to Washington and can do up to Seattle if needed.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 02 Aug 2013 21:59 #599596

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
You know if Forrest had more time we would have gone to the coast and down to meet everyone and touch every state. That's just how we roll. If the flag happens to get stalled, for the moment I am broke but next summer, hopefully it doesn't go that long, but next summer I can and WILL make every state that hasn't been touched and on my KZ to boot! I bet Trianglelaguna wouldn't be surprised to see me as it has been overdue visit. Actually, they need to come to Chicago to come visit and seeing as how GP is coming to Indy would be perfect timing to fly out. Hint Hint Muthaphuckaaaaaa. You guys have a bike to ride here when you come too soo...
79 LTD B3

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 03 Aug 2013 03:20 #599641

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Sorry guys life gets busy but I had contacted Mike in ID the same time I contacted Forrest. There has always been a primary plan for me to meet Mike the second week in August. I have just PM'd Mike to confirm availability for next weekend. Hope this clears this up for you guys thanks for your patience.
On a side note I was washing my bike after the trip and met a guy who's son just did a KZ street fighter build he is north of me about 80 miles. I extended an invite for him to join me on the ID ride.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project
The following user(s) said Thank You: goodfastncheap, KZJOE900

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 03 Aug 2013 06:58 #599649

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38

kaw-a-holic wrote: Sorry guys life gets busy but I had contacted Mike in ID the same time I contacted Forrest. There has always been a primary plan for me to meet Mike the second week in August. I have just PM'd Mike to confirm availability for next weekend. Hope this clears this up for you guys thanks for your patience.
On a side note I was washing my bike after the trip and met a guy who's son just did a KZ street fighter build he is north of me about 80 miles. I extended an invite for him to join me on the ID ride.

Be patient. It sucks holding the flag. But Forrest and saxjonz taught me that it's not about moving it. It's about the people you meet. Hang in there! No deadlines!
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz, bluej58, kaw-a-holic

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 03 Aug 2013 10:37 #599673

• toolmaker
  • User
To everyone following the ride's progress, don't be guilty of something I was :S ....check to see if you have any private messages! It is easy to overlook and could be important. :woohoo:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 03 Aug 2013 10:47 #599676

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
toolmaker wrote ;
[/quote]Be patient. It sucks holding the flag. But Forrest and saxjonz taught me that it's not about moving it. It's about the people you meet. Hang in there! No deadlines![/quote]

It will get there when it gets there even if it takes another couple years .

If someone is impatient then they should get on their bike and go get it, then they can be in the hot seat :P

Besides the longer it takes the better chance of my wife and I being able to ride with it through Colorado next year B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 04 Aug 2013 16:13 #599841

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ

bluej58 wrote: toolmaker wrote ;

Be patient. It sucks holding the flag. But Forrest and saxjonz taught me that it's not about moving it. It's about the people you meet. Hang in there! No deadlines![/quote]

It will get there when it gets there even if it takes another couple years .

If someone is impatient then they should get on their bike and go get it, then they can be in the hot seat :P

Besides the longer it takes the better chance of my wife and I being able to ride with it through Colorado next year B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)[/quote]

And I said the fly...I guarantee that I will have a running kz by then and I will not hesitate to make that trip with you guys. Hell, I don't know if Forrest feels the same but I wouldn't doubt for a moment that he would be up for that haul as well. I would love to ride with anyone going through all the states not hit. OMR said he would ride up to Monterrey Cali with it. I am down for a long trip next summer. No problem. Going North and coming down the coast is absolutely breathtaking. It would be awesome to finally meet many more of you guys on the board after so many years of posting.
79 LTD B3

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 04 Aug 2013 18:14 #599849

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
saxjonz:

I'd be up for a long ride next year too. One possibility might be to trailer the bikes to Colorado and spend a few days riding in the Colorado Rockies. Or expanding that to include Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz