Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 20 Jul 2013 20:09 #597490

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Did any of you actually exchange contact info last year, or is it only through KZR? The posting, and of course PMing still needs a member to be currently active.
As far as needing a contact for a hand off, well its going into Montana hopefully soon, like in a week or two. Maybe yo want to have the hand off? Not real far to Montana compared to a Alcan ride. Its really up to the members here whether it heads back above the border. Members must make the effort for it to happen. The winter Lull was a Relay Killer for sure. It should have had a southern route for winter, which was discussed but not heeded. So now is reality, riders who want to be part still must take action to obtain the Flag. Summer is getting short already in AK, as I know all to well, a ex Alaskan of 24 winters.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Jul 2013 22:44 #597509

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Exchange phone numbers !
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 00:27 #597516

• Motor Head
  • User
Got to work it out for sure.
Here is a tentative riding plan I have in mind. Riding to Boise to meet Mike for a Flag exchange, site to be determined. Route can be modified, but I've riden basically every mile of it before and it is not only very very scenic, it has the best twists to have fun on as well. Lots of fun for sure.
Anyone who wants to can take this link and modify it with their plan to join in this ride or meet for an exchange in WA or??
B)
goo.gl/maps/gE5HU
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 12:34 #597551

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17

Motor Head wrote: Got to work it out for sure.
Here is a tentative riding plan I have in mind. Riding to Boise to meet Mike for a Flag exchange, site to be determined. Route can be modified, but I've riden basically every mile of it before and it is not only very very scenic, it has the best twists to have fun on as well. Lots of fun for sure.
Anyone who wants to can take this link and modify it with their plan to join in this ride or meet for an exchange in WA or??
B)
goo.gl/maps/gE5HU

YUP - and the problem of circular/backtracking route begins to surface - IF we rush the route directly from Boise to the west, and THEN must go north to pick up Washington and Canadian riders, the route becomes wayyyyy inefficient with duplicated travel as we must then backtrack south again, covering the same route already covered - There's a BUNCH of guys pinned up in northern Idaho, Canada, and Washington. Might be more efficient to go NORTH from Boise to pick up riders in northern Idaho, loop over to Washington - perhaps pick up whatever Canadians wanting to commit, then down south thru Washington, Oregon and California - seems we need you guys up in the Pacific Northwest to SPEAK UP and commit - if you're still out there and interested - otherwise, the flag is about to pass you by!
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

Last edit: by Gary - K7GLD.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 19:02 #597588

• schuss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm in Seattle and am willing to come over the Cascades to meet a north Idaho leg, and bring it west and into Oregon. I'd accomodate the British Columbia folks if they speak up, but not sure how that will work exactly. Open to suggestions.

- Brian

Edit:

I'd also go north up to BC and pick it up there, take it south to Oregon, if that lets the Alberta/BC folks join in. Looking at the map, if there isn't anyone between Seattle and Boise, i'm not sure it should come this way, it would be stretching people too thin and should probably just go through the corner of WA and straight to Bend. I hate to miss it, but I'm not even sure my bike would make it all the way to Idaho, and it would be a big diversion to Seattle if I'm the only one in Seattle participating. :S

Last edit: by schuss.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:05 #597596

• Motor Head
  • User

schuss wrote: I'm in Seattle and am willing to come over the Cascades to meet a north Idaho leg, and bring it west and into Oregon. I'd accomodate the British Columbia folks if they speak up, but not sure how that will work exactly. Open to suggestions.

- Brian

Edit:

I'd also go north up to BC and pick it up there, take it south to Oregon, if that lets the Alberta/BC folks join in. Looking at the map, if there isn't anyone between Seattle and Boise, i'm not sure it should come this way, it would be stretching people too thin and should probably just go through the corner of WA and straight to Bend. I hate to miss it, but I'm not even sure my bike would make it all the way to Idaho, and it would be a big diversion to Seattle if I'm the only one in Seattle participating. :S

How far of a ride are you and your bike comfortable with? Where do you normally ride, besides in the rain? :P
Do you make 300mi trips on it? By the way what model is it?
I did a nice little warm up for the relay today, solo on my KZ. goo.gl/maps/bKmwG
I know there are pins in Spokane also, but where are they know? That's the important part, riders needed as the flag is approaching and the route needs to be decided and followed. If to north Idaho, and into WA, then BC, that's great. But I can't take it to BC so someone from WA or BC will have to step up very soon. I'm sure by the middle of August the flag will be in Boise, maybe sooner if it keeps moving.
When it was back east, and the mid west, they had lots of riders. Now that a year has past by, and several months of no movement, riders seem harder to get. Come on guys get involved in our KZR relay. :)

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:20 #597598

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm still here in the Portland area and can got to Bend or Seattle and back if that helps.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:33 #597601

• Motor Head
  • User
Yes that would be possible, to Portland, to Seattle, to BC, and then either some brave rider take it up through the Yukon to AK, or just return south with it? I guess it should really have a North ID, into either WA or Canada first, then south through OR to CA. It would be the most efficient. If one of the Spokane guys would get back involved that would be real nice. Then it could go from Boise to Spokane, then up to BC, then down through Seattle, to Portland, to CA.
Instead of the Bend to Boise route. Us KZ riders in east OR might get passed by, unless some of us join in to go to either Seattle or down to CA. Doesn't really matter to me. I've had plans for a trip this fall to N. CA already, for a ride like last year. Ended up about 1000mi in 4 days, lots of fun.
So hopefully with a couple of weeks to work this all out, that will happen. If nothing else the route I posted can take place. I could meet toolmaker in Portland, and he could take it to schuss in Seattle/meet somewhere. It would mean some back tracking, but who cares its still riding.
B)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:35 #597603

• Motor Head
  • User
By the way, did the Flag move this weekend???? :whistle:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:40 #597605

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

schuss wrote: I'm in Seattle and am willing to come over the Cascades to meet a north Idaho leg, and bring it west and into Oregon. I'd accomodate the British Columbia folks if they speak up, but not sure how that will work exactly. Open to suggestions.

- Brian

Edit:

WAY to go guys!

If only a couple more in key areas will step up, we could easily cover that NW corner of the west coast - and getting the flag to ALL the USA and as much of Canada as possible WAS the original goal, wasn't it? :cheer:

After all the moaning we've been doing out here because of the wait, do we want to drop the ball now, ourselves? :huh:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:48 #597608

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

Motor Head wrote:

schuss wrote: I did a nice little warm up for the relay today, solo on my KZ. goo.gl/maps/0NyTF
I know there are pins in Spokane also, but where are they know? That's the important part, riders needed as the flag is approaching and the route needs to be decided and followed. If to north Idaho, and into WA, then BC, that's great. But I can't take it to BC so someone from WA or BC will have to step up very soon. I'm sure by the middle of August the flag will be in Boise, maybe sooner if it keeps moving.
:)

HEY, I'd say your "warm up" was more than just a "warm up"! :laugh:

Nice ride, hope you kept cool - seems like we either fight cold, or like now, HEAT - 101 here as I write this...
:woohoo:

Last edit: by Gary - K7GLD.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 21 Jul 2013 20:54 #597609

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

Motor Head wrote: Yes that would be possible, to Portland, to Seattle, to BC, and then either some brave rider take it up through the Yukon to AK, or just return south with it? I guess it should really have a North ID, into either WA or Canada first, then south through OR to CA. It would be the most efficient. If one of the Spokane guys would get back involved that would be real nice. Then it could go from Boise to Spokane, then up to BC, then down through Seattle, to Portland, to CA.
Instead of the Bend to Boise route. Us KZ riders in east OR might get passed by, unless some of us join in to go to either Seattle or down to CA. Doesn't really matter to me. I've had plans for a trip this fall to N. CA already, for a ride like last year. Ended up about 1000mi in 4 days, lots of fun.
So hopefully with a couple of weeks to work this all out, that will happen. If nothing else the route I posted can take place. I could meet toolmaker in Portland, and he could take it to schuss in Seattle/meet somewhere. It would mean some back tracking, but who cares its still riding.
B)

YUP - like you, the route, or MY participation isn't nearly as important as covering all the states like the original goal was - I'm feeling a bit better all the time, and the good 'ol KZ1100 hasn't moved a wheel yet this year, but all that's pretty trivial in the bigger picture...

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 22 Jul 2013 00:44 #597650

• schuss
  • User
I have a 78 KZ1000 :)

I've only had it a year and am still trying to work out some wiring / charging issues and get the rear tire to hold air. I've not ridden it more than a couple hours (because the battery starts to die). So I'm really not sure how far it will go without complaining. But that's what AAA is for. :)

I figure a safe run for me would be something like Bellingham to Vancouver, or Moses Lake to Seattle, but I'm willing to stretch to make the linkup with someone. I have a friend on a Ninja that might join me (and a few other rider friends on other bikes) so I hopefully wouldn't do it alone.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 22 Jul 2013 10:23 #597682

• Motor Head
  • User
Tire and tubes are pretty cheap. You can do it your self. The charging system, I don't see where you have a thread going on it. Why not start one? It may be a s simple as a bad wiring connection. Could be a stator, or a R/R assy. But if your going to ride it out of town very far. I'd be fixing these issues.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 22 Jul 2013 12:08 #597691

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

schuss wrote: I have a 78 KZ1000 :)

I've only had it a year and am still trying to work out some wiring / charging issues and get the rear tire to hold air.

Replace the tire and tube if it has one before you wander far from home.

I have a rec/reg off my '78 KZ 1000 LTD that's yours for the asking if you need it. I took it off to upgrade to an electronic unit for more reliability as I tend to ride long distances. It was working when removed with about 15k miles on it. PM me if interested.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Last edit: by TomW.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 22 Jul 2013 12:13 #597692

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Motor Head wrote: By the way, did the Flag move this weekend???? :whistle:

Probably not. Pete (goodfastncheap) is waiting for saxjones and Forrest to ride out for a meeting and hand off in Omaha. Forrest and sax were in Wisconsin this weekend killing mosquitoes with their faces or helmets. They planned to meet on Wednesday this week then continue on to Yellowstone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 22 Jul 2013 15:36 #597729

• schuss
  • User

I have a rec/reg off my '78 KZ 1000 LTD that's yours for the asking if you need it. I took it off to upgrade to an electronic unit for more reliability as I tend to ride long distances. It was working when removed with about 15k miles on it. PM me if interested.

Thanks! If there is an electronic upgrade unit that's more reliable, should I be doing that instead, though?

Last edit: by schuss.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 22 Jul 2013 20:23 #597766

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

schuss wrote:

Thanks! If there is an electronic upgrade unit that's more reliable, should I be doing that instead, though?

First determine whether or not you need a replacement, then decide if you want to spend over $100 or put in a free one. The electronic ones should be more reliable.

You should start a thread in the electrical section to get help with your problem.

Last edit: by TomW.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Jul 2013 10:17 #597856

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178

Motor Head wrote:

- Brian

Edit:

How far of a ride are you and your bike comfortable with? Where do you normally ride, besides in the rain? :P
Do you make 300mi trips on it? By the way what model is it?
I did a nice little warm up for the relay today, solo on my KZ. goo.gl/maps/bKmwG
When it was back east, and the mid west, they had lots of riders. Now that a year has past by, and several months of no movement, riders seem harder to get. Come on guys get involved in our KZR relay. :)

I am liking the interest and enthusiasm from you folks out in the Northwest! I suggest once getting the flab into Washington, that it go into British Columbia. I think Killman and others are there. Once there, The Flag can tip into southern Alaska. I don't see the need to run it up the ALCAN Highway. Not all Canadian provinces will likely see The Flag such as The North West Territories. Maybe a Ferry Ride from Vancouver to Juneau, AK. I don't know if this can work. Just throwing it out there. Heck Alberta and Saskatchewan are still possible once The Flag hits Montana and Idaho. Here is a link to the BIG COUNTRY. >>>> goo.gl/maps/XDK0Q

AND Here is a way TO GO ALL THE WAY! Someone could ride this and accompany a KZ. Just a suggestion. :cheer: MOTOQUEST >>>

Transporter Special: Kawasaki KLR 650 from Portland, Oregon to Anchorage, Alaska. NEEDS TO BE THERE BY AUGUST 2nd!!

Price for rider: FREE!!

To sign up for this: Call Jason immediately at our Portland location: (907)440-8914

Or: Register Online Transpoter ID #64

--

MotoQuest Team | 1-800-756-1990 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

One World, Two Wheels

Follow us on:

"There are two types of people: those who ride motorcycles and those who want to ride motorcycles."
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: by Forrest.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 28 Jul 2013 23:11 #598811

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
BOY, this thread sure has DIED!

5 days since last post, the flag reportedly in Yellowstone area, headed our way out here in the Pacific North West - and.... SILENCE? :dry: :S :whistle: