Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 05 Mar 2012 11:32 #507910

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
looks like its getting closer, so riders up in the North West lets get a route going. It still looks like there are some open spots in some Western States. So just where will the flag be when it heads west? That's the question, as it will determine where to meet etc.
Here is a link to the KZR Relay Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21053298151...=45.151548,93.076172
I don't have the Google account stuff to access the map itself.
Is there a map with where the flag will travel around the East/ Central areas yet?
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 05 Mar 2012 12:06 #507916

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Motor Head, here is a map I put together about 6 months ago. This is not even close to being anything official. There is nothing official anyhow :P :P But it had posted it to generate discussion on the topic and have people formulate routes in their area. This map is very outdated missing a lot of members that have signed up since. You will see some timelines on map (unrealistic timelines) as well. You will also see a couple of spots where the maps indicates the token is shipped to the next member. So shipping is always an option.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Attachments:

Last edit: by KZJOE900.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 05 Mar 2012 17:59 #507970

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Motor Head wrote: looks like its getting closer, so riders up in the North West lets get a route going. It still looks like there are some open spots in some Western States. So just where will the flag be when it heads west? That's the question, as it will determine where to meet etc.
Here is a link to the KZR Relay Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21053298151...=45.151548,93.076172
I don't have the Google account stuff to access the map itself.
Is there a map with where the flag will travel around the East/ Central areas yet?

So you moved, eh? I guess I shouldn't call you if I crash in Co. Springs on the way to NM this summer. :ohmy:

FYI, the 3rd leg is preliminarily planned to start in WI and wind up in Houston, TX. ABQ NM is the next stop. I think we'll cover WI, MN, ND, SD, NE, KS, IA, OK, MO, AR, LA, TX. You western guys should sign up for some Iron Butt rides. :laugh: It's 850 miles to ABQ from Houston. The route is certainly flexible. I have no idea of schedule. The 1st & 2nd legs will determine that. We'll see how it goes.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Last edit: by TomW.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 05 Mar 2012 20:21 #507988

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17
Several Oregon riders signed up, me included, from John Day area, eastern Oregon, just need a fairly solid schedule as things firm up, so we can make plans...

Had the bike out for a 70 mile ride yesterday, all loosened up and ready to roll - warm sunny yestarday - 65 degrees - tonight and tomorrow - SNOWWWwwwwww...
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Mar 2012 00:36 #508039

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Hey Motorhead,

Right now it looks like the Rocky Mountain Leg is running up from NM,CO,WY, to Montana.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Mar 2012 02:56 #508066

• sft1662
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I hope those Eastcoasters can pick up the pace from what is on that schedule :P . November could get pretty ugly in the Northwest/mountain region. :whistle:

I'm South of Spokane and should be able to take it as far as a couple hundred miles one way, but it looks like there are plenty of us in that area. I hope the flag gets here sooner rather than later because I'll be in the process of moving next fall and there is a chance that I wont have my KZ with me for awhile :unsure:
1978 KZ650 B2A

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 06 Mar 2012 10:49 #508096

• Motor Head
  • User

Link14 wrote: Hey Motorhead,

Right now it looks like the Rocky Mountain Leg is running up from NM,CO,WY, to Montana.

So where after Montana? Will it go towards Idaho then over to the west, or down through Nevada? Or up into Canada? It will need to travel the west coast, so will that be from top to bottom or reverse?
I can take it around a couple of states if needed by my KZ. I have three day weekends a lot of the time.

Tom wrote: "So you moved, eh? I guess I shouldn't call you if I crash in Co. Springs on the way to NM this summer."
Yea if you ride through the center of the country again, try to keep the wheels down. But if you get out to Oregon, I got some cold beer that needs a bit of looking after.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 12 Mar 2012 10:31 #509194

• Motor Head
  • User
Rode to work on Friday, and then went out afterwards for a ride around the area. Getting to know where some more of the roads are. The KZ runs great at the lower altitude, was 6K + in Colorado, here it is 3K.
So anyone know more about where to connect for the relay?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 12 Mar 2012 17:28 #509246

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Motor Head wrote: Yea if you ride through the center of the country again, try to keep the wheels down. But if you get out to Oregon, I got some cold beer that needs a bit of looking after.

I'll be riding my Voyager XII out west (if I feel it's ready) and it has a kill switch on the side stand, so that can't happen again. You got cold beer? Looks like I'll be seeing the northwest this summer. I also have a nephew in Portland. He needs a visit from his uncle.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 14 Mar 2012 09:43 #509550

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 15 Mar 2012 17:55 #509853

• Marneman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

sft1662 wrote: I hope those Eastcoasters can pick up the pace from what is on that schedule :P . November could get pretty ugly in the Northwest/mountain region. :whistle:

I'm South of Spokane and should be able to take it as far as a couple hundred miles one way, but it looks like there are plenty of us in that area. I hope the flag gets here sooner rather than later because I'll be in the process of moving next fall and there is a chance that I wont have my KZ with me for awhile :unsure:

How far south of Spokane? I'm in Dayton, down by Walla Walla. Maybe we could double up on a leg if were too close?

Bill
77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 16 Mar 2012 23:47 #510115

• sft1662
  • User

Marneman wrote:

sft1662 wrote: I hope those Eastcoasters can pick up the pace from what is on that schedule :P . November could get pretty ugly in the Northwest/mountain region. :whistle:

How far south of Spokane? I'm in Dayton, down by Walla Walla. Maybe we could double up on a leg if were too close?

Bill

I'm in Pullman. So fairly close ~85mi? Probably plan on a handoff from me to you unless there are more members in the area, in which we could all ride together to get enough distance? I'm willing to go further though so we could still double up for a chunk of it? If the weather is still nice I would not mind making a weekend of it and doing 600 mi or so and camping. We'll see what happens though I guess.
1978 KZ650 B2A

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2012 00:30 #510122

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
You guys are getting pretty close to me now in John Day area, eastern Oregon - next point from here with a registered member is Bend area, about 3 hours west of me - pretty big "hole" to fill after that!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2012 02:39 #510147

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6

Motor Head wrote: So where after Montana? Will it go towards Idaho then over to the west, or down through Nevada? Or up into Canada? It will need to travel the west coast, so will that be from top to bottom or reverse?

Best guess now is a start in New Mexico with an end in Canada, if Tim will drop that far down south.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2012 11:06 #510184

• Motor Head
  • User

TomW wrote:

Motor Head wrote: Yea if you ride through the center of the country again, try to keep the wheels down. But if you get out to Oregon, I got some cold beer that needs a bit of looking after.

I'll be riding my Voyager XII out west (if I feel it's ready) and it has a kill switch on the side stand, so that can't happen again. You got cold beer? Looks like I'll be seeing the northwest this summer. I also have a nephew in Portland. He needs a visit from his uncle.

Sounds like your nephew needs a visit for sure. You could be hauling that relay flag with you maybe?
If you ride across from Idaho, go through the North route through John Day, and not the south route through Burns. The route up through N. California, and up through Oregon is also good. The coast can be beautiful, but can be very wet also.
If you come over this summer, we'll get together for some riding for sure. I'm looking at going to Corvallis, on the coast, for Memorial day weekend.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2012 11:09 #510185

• Motor Head
  • User

Gary - K7GLD wrote: You guys are getting pretty close to me now in John Day area, eastern Oregon - next point from here with a registered member is Bend area, about 3 hours west of me - pretty big "hole" to fill after that!

If this weather straightens out, I'm thinking of a ride back in your direction soon. My buddy has friends in John Day/ Dayville. I'll give you a heads up, and see if you want to ride around a bit then as well.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2012 13:21 #510221

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

Motor Head wrote:

Gary - K7GLD wrote: You guys are getting pretty close to me now in John Day area, eastern Oregon - next point from here with a registered member is Bend area, about 3 hours west of me - pretty big "hole" to fill after that!

If this weather straightens out, I'm thinking of a ride back in your direction soon. My buddy has friends in John Day/ Dayville. I'll give you a heads up, and see if you want to ride around a bit then as well.

Sounds possible - drop me an email when/if that trip gets closer!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 17 Mar 2012 13:32 #510222

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Motor Head wrote:

TomW wrote:

Sounds like your nephew needs a visit for sure. You could be hauling that relay flag with you maybe?
If you ride across from Idaho, go through the North route through John Day, and not the south route through Burns. The route up through N. California, and up through Oregon is also good. The coast can be beautiful, but can be very wet also.
If you come over this summer, we'll get together for some riding for sure. I'm looking at going to Corvallis, on the coast, for Memorial day weekend.

I could certainly bring the flag with me. It all depends on timing and where the flag is when I get out west. I'm thinking I'll do some ride along time with other relayers. We'll see.

I'll probably come up thru Idaho from NM. I have a niece in San Francisco and another nephew and former brother in law in San Diego, so would probably head back down the coast for more visiting. Gonna be a long hot summer.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 14 Apr 2012 11:01 #515743

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Am I to understand the flag will go through Oregon in November?

Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg 14 Apr 2012 14:22 #515780

• KZP20Rider
  • User
Well, for those in eastern Washington, I am in Moses Lake and have 3 day weekends, so I can put some distance on if needed...depending on what time of year the miles need to be ridden...I am too old ot do snow on my bike anymore.
2001 KZ1000P