Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 28 Dec 2011 11:35 #494975

• Topper
  • Topper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133

Flyndrive wrote: Wow. That late. I'll have to just wait and see if I'm still living here by he time it gets down here.

I think that's still up for debate. We could start earlier down South and head North. Like I said, the problem then is that T_Dub and Jay650 have to do some serious backtracking.

Or maybe the object could be shipped from Newfoundland to the next leg of the trip? Does it defeat the purpose if we do something like that?

If you leave FL, that won't necessarily count you out. Hopefully you can participate from wherever you are. Maybe the Coast Guard will move you someplace we really need, like Arizona ;)
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 28 Dec 2011 12:00 #494978

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443

Topper wrote: the problem then is that T_Dub and Jay650 have to do some serious backtracking.

Or maybe the object could be shipped from Newfoundland to the next leg of the trip? Does it defeat the purpose if we do something like that?

For all practical purposes, I would think that once it makes it to Newfoundland, it will have to be shipped to the next destination. Wouldn't defeat the purpose, the flag will have been physically in Newfoundland and KZ's involved in getting it there. After all, how do they move the Olympic tourch from Greece accross bodies of water?

Not trying to be a wise guy, but do they have Coast Guard in Arizona? :whistle:
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 28 Dec 2011 12:43 #494980

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
I kind of doubt it as there's no coast there, but who knows. See, I was trying to be a wise guy ;)

I think the shipping question may be a good one for the whole group.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 30 Dec 2011 14:48 #495308

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
Ok so I've been MIA during Christmas. I'm game for whatever you guys come up with. I don't think it would really defeat the purpose to have it shipped. It'd really be better for me if this took place a bit later on, even in May it's not the best for long bike rides.
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 31 Dec 2011 03:15 #495411

• KraZy Chris
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Any thought of starting in FL but also incorporating the southern states early in the ride, ie Alabama Tennessee maybe others? Maybe zig zag a little across the south in a general northerly fashion to let things warm a little up north?

Maybe start in this order: Fl, GA, AL, TN,South Carolina,Ect.. May need a little work but just an idea. Could also maybe hit Mississippi and Kentucky

Ill work on this idea some if you guys think we should consider the idea.

Chris

Secondly I feel shipping the token kinda feels like cheating, but, I don't have a good answer for some of the areas, so shipping may have to be considered. :(
78 KZ1000, Middle TN

Last edit: by KraZy Chris. Reason: clarification

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 31 Dec 2011 14:10 #495453

• Flyndrive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I think that a good idea you could get a lot of riders done before going all he way north. Even take it up through Indiana, And Ohio then back to the Virginias and Carolinas. Then to PA and New York and on north.

Just a long shot idea for jay650. If he could ride out to Newfoundland, then could ride back with T-Dub. Cuts out the shipping but put a couple guys for some long rides.

Then maybe someone from Niagara could com get it and continue it on into Canada, somehow up to bekz he back down to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Then the Midwest can figure out from there.

I don't know about Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arkansas unless someone close to there just happens to go the long way and pass through there.
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 31 Dec 2011 15:30 #495459

• Topper
  • Platinum Member

Flyndrive wrote: Just a long shot idea for jay650. If he could ride out to Newfoundland, then could ride back with T-Dub. Cuts out the shipping but put a couple guys for some long rides.

The shipping issue isn't about how to get it to Newfoundland but how to get it to wherever it's going after that. I think T_Dub and jay650 will be able to work something out. There's 13+ hours of riding plus a long ferry ride between them but I think T_Dub is up for the ferry ride and getting to the mainland for jay650.

Like I said, the issue is if it ends up in Newfoundlan at the end of our run we then have to backtrack at least as far as Niagra to get to a new rider. Or we ship it.

Or we wait until weather allows T_Dub and jay650 to get started (probably May). Then our leg ends down in FL and someone picks up the batton (so to speak) in Alabama.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 31 Dec 2011 15:57 #495463

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
So just for comparison...

If we end in Miami there's 14 hours of travel to get it to the next new rider in Huntsville, AL.

If we end in Newfoundland there's about 36 hours of travel to get it to the next new rider in Niagra.

That's assuming highway riding, not back roads.

I'm starting to think shipping the object a couple times is going to be innevitable and we'd be better off to just embrace that. It'll allow us to start when we want and ride the roads we want without burdening a few people with the task of backtracking through territory we've already covered.

My vote is start in FL in March and head up the east coast.

Picking up a couple other southern states along the way would great, the more the better.

But we've got no riders for MS, AK, or LA. Might be better to have our one rider from Alabama cover states to his west rather than assist with getting it north.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 31 Dec 2011 15:58 #495465

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Well I'll throw my hat in the ring to organize the next leg to cover the last of the east of the Mississippi states/provinces unless someone else really wants to do it.

If the seaboard leg is going to go south to north ending in Newfoundland and if a reverse trip isn't doable then it might be better to ship it to boatdrinks in Alabama to start the second leg from the south to north.

If it travels north to south the second leg would be much easier to route but the shipping idea will work too.

I'll post the second leg in the original post so not to make this too much of a Where's Waldo hunt for info on the relay for folks.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 01 Jan 2012 18:15 #495671

• enaz1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
checkin in. i can do what needed.north to south, east to west or what ever. B) my weekends are mostly sun,mon. but can be changed.
75 z1 900 Big Guy

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 01 Jan 2012 21:22 #495725

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
  • Thank you received: 3
jydog and enaz1,

What do you think about meeting up somewhere along line of I-85 maybe Spartanburg or so for GA/SC/NC part?

That should be a day trip distance for both way.
82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

East Coast leg of N. American Relay Run 01 Jan 2012 22:14 #495748

• Boostable
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13

KZJOE900 wrote:

jydog wrote: KZJOE900, I might be able to meet you in Panama City Beach FL providing I get my bike done in time and it is in good enough shape to ride 250 miles back home. Maybe enaz1 could meet me in Griffn GA. A Panama City Beach to Biloxi leg is another possibility for me also. That might be a little closer for you and a nice trip along the coast.

Sure, Panama City would mean an 11 hour round trip for me. Two hours more than meeting you half way up the I75. But a heck of a lot more interesting. So what are you proposing JYDog, that we meet for Spring Break in Panama City? B) Not sure if my wife would allow that, hehehehehhe. But in all seriousness, as long as the bike is up to it, I'm up to it. Maybe flyndrive and Boostable can chime in on what they would like to do. Maybe Boostable can do a leg with flyndrive, then I can meet Boostable for the exchange. Then onward to Panama. Boostable? Panama is within range for you as well, isn't it? :) I will repost this message on the east coast thread. But just wanted to put it here as well so people who have been following this thread can keep abreast of what is going on.

This all sounds good to me. With the people we have and depending on where the Florida entry point is we may be able to make a loop in the state. Maybe come in by Jax/Lake City, I can pick it up and take it south and hand it off or go west if need be.

I would be up for a run north on the return leg as well. :). Once we get the days set we can figure it out.

But either way is good for me. I will either be on the 900 or the 1000 if it is done!
~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider