• Thank you received: 278
If theres someone to pass it to, Keep it Rolling
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Sep 2012 17:28 #546875

• hypnohio
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just PM'd Wiggens to get something worked out for the next move.
1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Sep 2012 21:07 #546906

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

650ed wrote:

Topper wrote: KZ_Rage, sounds like you've got a consensus on keeping it moving.

It won't help you in this particular case but one strategy for keeping it moving while including as many riders as practical is group rides. Two or three riders can converge on a site for hand off then ride together to the next hand off. That's how we did it through pVA and it worked well.

Also, there's a lot of back and forth in this thread basically asking the question "How do we make decisions?" and "Who has the authority to decide?".

I like the consensus approach that you've taken here. It's what I tried to do on the first leg as well. Ultimately though someone has to decide when consensus has been reached or make a decision and move on if it can't be reached.

I propose we empower the leg coordinators to do that. They're putting in a lot of work and I think they deserve a little bit of decision making ability.

I don't want anyone just going off and deciding stuff willy nilly, but when there's doubt, put the question to the group, get some input and make a decision. I think that's part of the role of leg coordinators.

+1

+2
Keep the flag moving if there is a rider able to make a connection. I think consesus has been reached.

I have wanted to go on a ton rides this season and because other desires or commitments got in the way , I wasn't able to go. Bull had a good opportunity to carry the flag during his vacation. He chose another direction. He can perhaps catch up with the flag further down the road.

I'm away from home now, in New Mexico at my Moms home. I'm heading back to Wisconsin early in October. Get that flag down to Houston around 10-10 and I'll garoonteee I'll have it in Wisconsin in a week, passing close enough to all the 3rd. leg riders that they can participate IF THEY ARE READY TO GO! I'll touch all the states 'cept maybe the Dakotas.

I know I asked this before, but I left my notes in Wisconsin, will all the third leg riders call or text me at 414-416-4891 or email me at tom.wait48 @gmail.com . I need you screen name real name email and phone numbers and location.

So far the 3rd leg starts in Houston or more corrctly in Alexandria LA. Then through Houston to Oklahoma City and then to Tulsa I presume. Every one still participating in the third leg get in touch so we can continue planning this leg. It shouldn't take long to figger it out.

Please excuse any errors or typos. I'm doong this on a phone and It's a PITA.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Sep 2012 21:53 #546917

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
All right :woohoo: Email sent Tom, thanks .

OK leg 2 B)
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 01:06 #546959

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
  • Thank you received: 75
E-mail sent Tom.

Jim
80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 13:59 #547053

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
  • Thank you received: 16
I know I am jumping ahead, but want to try to generate enthusiasm now in order to prevent delays several steps down the line.

BlackZ1R lives just South of Jackson, MS. He is to hand off to me (WABBMW), and I live in Houston, TX. The next firm handoff, is for OKKent to ride from Oklahoma City, OK, to Dallas, TX to pick up the flag. That leaves a lot of space in between, and potentially 600 to 1000 mile rides per person to make it happen.

We badly need some volunteers to step up and participate in the process - folks who live in Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas.

Right now, BlackZ1R is supposed to ride from Florence, MS to Columbia, MS for the pickup, and return to Florence. Round trip is about 170 miles. Then, he will ride to Alexandria, LA for a handoff, and back home, which is about 435 miles. Total mileage for BlackZ1R would be 605. Then I would ride to Alexandria for the handoff, and back to Houston. Round trip = 480. Now if I can get someone else to go from Houston to Dallas and back, which is 510, then OK. But if I have to also go to Dallas, then the total would be 990. I'll send some PMs to riders that I know, to see if I can get a commitment

It would be very nice if people from Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas would volnteer. Please post or send a PM. Thanks.

Bill Baker
Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

Last edit: by WABBMW.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 15:14 #547069

• ron768
  • User
Im available to ride from Huntsville Al. Just let me know when and where to meet up and go to.
1976 KZ900 A4 , 1977 KZ650 C1 , 1978 KZ1000LTD B1 , 1978 KZ650SR D1 , 1999 ZRX1100 C3

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 18:21 #547114

• boatdrinks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 54

ron768 wrote: Im available to ride from Huntsville Al. Just let me know when and where to meet up and go to.

Ron,

There is a ride from our area to Columbus, MS via the Trace already planned. You are more than welcome to join us.
Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 18:30 #547116

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
OK, the consensus seems to be to "just move it". I hope you guys know it pains me to bypass anyone, seriously it does, so with that I have to apologize to Bull that this wasn't resolved before his departure. It would also seem that Hypnohio and Wiggens are already setting a meeting up so the conclusion to this discussion is that the flag will move now rather than later.

Wiggens & Hypnohio, please post when you will be meeting for the hand-off. If you guys meet this weekend I can be available to meet Hypnohio the 9th-12th or I will be available ready the weekend after that if that works for you.

After that I will meet up with KK and asevans depending on what day it is that I get it and they are ready to receive it.

Ron768, please contact boatdrinks and set something up with him as to doing a buddy ride together maybe down to meet BlackZ1R. Also I'll oput you on the main map as a relayer.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

Last edit: by KZ_Rage.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 19:22 #547129

• hypnohio
  • User
Waiting to hear from Wiggens and ready to go.
1982 KZ440 LTD
2003 EN500 C
2006 Virago 250

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 21:20 #547157

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 278

WABBMW wrote: I know I am jumping ahead, but want to try to generate enthusiasm now in order to prevent delays several steps down the line.

BlackZ1R lives just South of Jackson, MS. He is to hand off to me (WABBMW), and I live in Houston, TX. The next firm handoff, is for OKKent to ride from Oklahoma City, OK, to Dallas, TX to pick up the flag. That leaves a lot of space in between, and potentially 600 to 1000 mile rides per person to make it happen.

We badly need some volunteers to step up and participate in the process - folks who live in Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas.

Right now, BlackZ1R is supposed to ride from Florence, MS to Columbia, MS for the pickup, and return to Florence. Round trip is about 170 miles. Then, he will ride to Alexandria, LA for a handoff, and back home, which is about 435 miles. Total mileage for BlackZ1R would be 605. Then I would ride to Alexandria for the handoff, and back to Houston. Round trip = 480. Now if I can get someone else to go from Houston to Dallas and back, which is 510, then OK. But if I have to also go to Dallas, then the total would be 990. I'll send some PMs to riders that I know, to see if I can get a commitment

It would be very nice if people from Mississippi, Louisiana and East Texas would volnteer. Please post or send a PM. Thanks.

Bill Baker

We filled in a couple of holes with craigs list on the first leg. It worked pretty good. Maybe someone can put up a few posts in the areas you need riders. It got it going again when it was stuck in Mass. It would be worth a try.
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 21:59 #547167

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
I got 3 or 4 guys in my area interested when I ran craigslist but that was back before ig got stalled
Someone in that area should give it a try
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Sep 2012 23:11 #547177

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
  • Thank you received: 47

WABBMW wrote: I know I am jumping ahead, but want to try to generate enthusiasm now in order to prevent delays several steps down the line.

Bill Baker

Hey Bill, glad you popped in. Good talking to you, looking forward to the ride over to Alexandria. :cheer:

It appears you've been checking up on mileage, lots of miles for the lower states riders. You forgot to add the return miles on my leg to Columbus and back. It is 170 one way, 340 round trip. :P Then the 435 to Alexandria and back is going to put me around 750-775 total :pinch: :lol: .

ramtough_63 and others, good idea on the craigslist recruiting idea. I thought I had it worked out when I posted on the ZRX board. I know a bunch of those Kawi freaks have KZs stashed away and figured they would jump at the chance to ride them.

My first positive response was Ron in Huntsville, welcome to the KZRider Flag Relay, Ron!! :cheer:
Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 07 Sep 2012 11:37 #547266

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
  • Thank you received: 16
Kevin:
Sorry about the mileage error. I looked at Columbia, MS, instead of Columbus, MS. I wondered why you would be traveling South of Florence, instead of Northward for the flag pickup. Now I understand.

I will do an ad in Craigslist and see what develops. Plus, I will PM some contacts here in the Houston metro area. I know you have a long ride, but if you can get to Alexandria, LA, then I'll get it to Dallas, hopefully with help.
Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 08 Sep 2012 15:37 #547496

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Tom, email sent with contact info.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Sep 2012 21:55 #547895

• bull durham
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey, checking in for the first time on the road. I understand completely and say keep that flag moving. I did want to be part of this, but like I said before, I had my vacation plans already set up before I found you guys, so I understand. With winter coming on, and the flag still has a long way to go, there are no hard feelings on my part and I understand completely. I would not expect, nor want people to wait 3 weeks for my return.

THAT said, to whomever TOMW is: please be careful about throwing stuff around about me, you have no idea what you are talking about. I did NOT have a opportunity or the time, to do anything "during" my vacation. I had already ridden 1,269 miles through PA, WV, OH, IN, IL, MO, IA, WI and MN in two days. You don't know me, so do what God intended for you to do. He gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth, so you should listen / read, before opening the pie hole. OK? Are we clear? Good.

So, as I said earlier, there is no hard feelings by "bypassing" me. I would expect you to keep it moving, no bad feelings on my part. Since the flag is a success, I will just try and be more involved for the next thing that comes up, or get together with some of you for a group ride, that would be nice.

Talk to everyone later,

Bull
Bull Durham
VBA #1608

2005 Kawasaki Nomad
1979 Kawasaki KZ 750
1975 Kawasaki Z 900
1965 Honda C110

1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 (sold)
1976 Kawasaki KZ 900 (sold)
1973 Kawasaki Z 900 (sold)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Sep 2012 11:24 #548004

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
Bull, Wiggens had given me your cell number but when I tried to call it all I got was a fast busy signal. I really want to apologize again for not getting with you before you left on your trip and to say I greatly appreciate your understanding.

Hope to meet up with you someday for a ride too.

As for the flags movement plan as it stands now, the flag passes to Hypnohio Saturday morning, then to me that afternoon pending weather. If the weather holds then I'll have it to asevans Sunday. Hopefully KK or Les can get with asevans during the week before the weekend 22nd, you guys are pretty close by to one another. If not could one of you ride down this Sunday with asevans so the flag can maybe pass the Ramtough the weekend of the 22nd? Probably talking only needing to go as far as Batesville to meet up with me. (1 hr for me and less for asevans)
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Sep 2012 16:58 #548056

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
2-1/2 hrs for me but no problem, I'll be ready. B)

Les

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Sep 2012 19:19 #548084

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
my first good laugh of the day
THAT said, to whomever TOMW is: please be careful about throwing stuff around about me, you have no idea what you are talking about. I did NOT have a opportunity or the time, to do anything "during" my vacation. I had already ridden 1,269 miles through PA, WV, OH, IN, IL, MO, IA, WI and MN in two days. You don't know me, so do what God intended for you to do. He gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth, so you should listen / read, before opening the pie hole. OK? Are we clear? Good.

anyways you guys are doing great ...so friggin cool

we should just mail the flag back to bull when it gets done at the left coast ( or gets a break form it's coast to coasts runs and let him ride it around his town for a day and mail it back .....

is there a journal being handed off on this leg at present?

how full is the flag getting , is there still room to sign it?
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Sep 2012 19:27 #548089

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1983
Triangle,
Their was a journal when it came thru Michigan, but the front of the first flag was getting pretty covered. Their is a 2nd flag included in the package being handed off so not to worry.
NOTE; Has anyone thought of altering the route once bad weather sets in to keep the flag moving across the southern US till the weather allows it to move back North in the spring.
Winters Coming
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn