Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Jul 2013 22:00 #595224

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17

toolmaker wrote: Well, this IS a form of slow torture for us riders out west...... :dry:

YUP, it all started as a ride-for-pride using 30 year old bikes, but starting to look more like a 30-year-ride just to get the flag from east to west. I was 75 years old when this started, now 76 - and wondering if I'll still be alive by the time the flag gets here to eastern Oregon, I had planned a news article in the local paper, but as long as this is taking, pretty much ashamed to mention it to the local editor...

Odds looking poorer all the time for a finish this year - we missed the best bet by not doing this as a ride from both coasts simultaneously, meeting somewhere mid-continent.

We'd be done by now...
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Jul 2013 22:22 #595227

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
decent idea and worthy of merit if there is interest in a yearly ride or follow up ride armed with the lessons of this ride...a yearly from both coasts in is not a bad idea at all and could be knocked out in the summer months....
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Last edit: by trianglelaguna.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Jul 2013 22:25 #595229

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178

Gary - K7GLD wrote:

toolmaker wrote: Well, this IS a form of slow torture for us riders out west...... :dry:

YUP, it all started as a ride-for-pride using 30 year old bikes, but starting to look more like a 30-year-ride just to get the flag from east to west. I was 75 years old when this started, now 76 - and wondering if I'll still be alive by the time the flag gets here to eastern Oregon, I had planned a news article in the local paper, but as long as this is taking, pretty much ashamed to mention it to the local editor...

Odds looking poorer all the time for a finish this year - we missed the best bet by not doing this as a ride from both coasts simultaneously, meeting somewhere mid-continent.

We'd be done by now...

Hey Gary, You willing to ride this weekend? I can make it out to Denver or even further west. I think that I could go as far as Jackson Hole, WY or Salt Lake City, UT before I need to turn around. Just a thought if you are from Eastern Oregon it may not be too far of a stretch for someone such as yourself to come and get the Flag. I also sent you and several others a PM with my phone number. But here it is again... 630-391-1787.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Jul 2013 22:30 #595231

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

trianglelaguna wrote: decent idea and worthy of merit if their is interest in a yearly ride or follow up ride armed with the lessons of this ride...a yearly from both coasts in is not a bad idea at all and could be knocked out in the summer months....

WELL, in all fairness, covering all continental states and Canada WAS a bit ambitious, and likely exuberance won out over reality, as far as time was concerned - shucks, it took the covered wagons less time from Missouri to Oregon...

SO, we proudly tell some friend or acquaintance about our ride, and HE sez, "it took HOW long!!!" :ohmy: :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: trianglelaguna

Last edit: by Gary - K7GLD.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Jul 2013 22:35 #595232

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

Forrest wrote:

Gary - K7GLD wrote:

We'd be done by now...

Hey Gary, You willing to ride this weekend? I can make it out to Denver or even further west. I think that I could go as far as Jackson Hole, WY or Salt Lake City, UT before I need to turn around. Just a thought if you are from Eastern Oregon it may not be too far of a stretch for someone such as yourself to come and get the Flag. I also sent you and several others a PM with my phone number. But here it is again... 630-391-1787.

SHUCKS, at my age, I'll be doing good to get from here in John Day over to Bend area, let alone a couple of states! ;)

But I admire your determination and dedication - I coulda done it back 30-40 years ago...
The following user(s) said Thank You: trianglelaguna, Forrest

Last edit: by Gary - K7GLD.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 05 Jul 2013 22:49 #595235

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

Gary - K7GLD wrote:

Forrest wrote:

Gary - K7GLD wrote:

We'd be done by now...

SHUCKS, at my age, I'll be doing good to get from here in John Day over to Bend area, let alone a couple of states! ;)

But I admire your determination and dedication - I coulda done it back 30-40 years ago...

I can appreciate what you say. I did not notice your age til I had posted. If you know of someone else that could come over. From John Day, OR it is approx 550 miles to Jackson Hole, WY or 525 miles to Salt Lake City, UT. Do you have a son or grandson who rides and you would entrust on your beautiful KZ? You could then ride a shorter portion of the next leg.

The following user(s) said Thank You: trianglelaguna

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 06 Jul 2013 11:53 #595274

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Yeah, back in '77 I rode Miami to Portland and back in 2 weeks - 8,000 miles......can't do that anymore lol :woohoo:
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

Last edit: by toolmaker. Reason: added information

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 09 Jul 2013 19:45 #595735

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

toolmaker wrote: Yeah, back in '77 I rode Miami to Portland and back in 2 weeks - 8,000 miles......can't do that anymore lol :woohoo:

Yup, 77 was a good year. ;)

I do however still love to ride. Just Yesterday, I stepped back off the bike after riding 905 miles round trip from my house into Chicago, down to Logan, OH and back home. Total time start to finish was 20 1/2 hours. Tom W. was on his way to a Voyager Rally. SaxJonz and I accompanied him. Sax peeled off early to visit a family member in Ft. Wayne, IN. I stayed with Tom to the Rally Point in Logan. Got myself some dinner and headed back. It was a long day in the saddle for sure. My point is I think I can do the miles to move the flag if needed. Who in the N.W. or Rocky Mountain States is willing to ride and receive the flag? That is the real question here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: grantorinobro

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Jul 2013 19:26 #595877

• grantorinobro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I am convinced that Forrest can make it happen. I have complete faith that the flag will move soon. I just wish my GPz had carried the flag. I am tempted to quit my job and ride out for glory to carry the flag again. I always dream of doing the ride across the USA. The midwest states are hard riding. Long straight roads. That is where the big bikes rule. Has it really been to 36 states? The 14 left will be the hardest. Those are the guys with stones in their sacks. This is America and those guys are out there, they just need to be found. I believe that if the "lower" 48 plus canada and mexico are accomplished then it is mission accomplished. AK and HI are attainable only for the rich, retired, or truly crazy KZ Riders. Well, most people would say we are all crazy for riding them darn things. Never forget that most of the great discoveries came from people labeled crazy. On a lighter note, when I am in my 4 wheeled vehicle and I see a pedal biker, I say to myself, "pedal forrest pedal", But right now I am saying "RIDE FORREST RIDE!" You can do it!
1982 GPZ 550 piped and jetted, stupidly loud at 10k rpm
1982 GPZ 550 resurrection in progress, eta April 2014, stock form for discretionary quiet time
1991 ZX11 parted out, this one carried the flag 300+ miles, unfortunately wiring harness melted and parting out was the only option, she was great
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrest

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Jul 2013 19:31 #595878

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
  • Thank you received: 12
Never say never, GTB. If some sunny day in 2015 that flag makes it's way up here finally, I might just whip it up to Alaska for you boys. Be kinda fitting for a Canuck to nail that last State for you all. :laugh:
1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Jul 2013 20:43 #595888

• grantorinobro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Eh!
1982 GPZ 550 piped and jetted, stupidly loud at 10k rpm
1982 GPZ 550 resurrection in progress, eta April 2014, stock form for discretionary quiet time
1991 ZX11 parted out, this one carried the flag 300+ miles, unfortunately wiring harness melted and parting out was the only option, she was great

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Jul 2013 22:54 #595916

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
Hey, I really appreciate the good humor going on here. :lol: This whole relay thing should be fun and a great experience for all involved. I am digging this.

It would be great to move the flag and even hit all Canadian provinces. That would be worth another year on the road. It is the North American KZ Relay after all! :P It would even be awesome to go to Canada and even Hawaii!

I should clarify that the 905 miles I completed a couple of days ago were on a 2011 Concours 14. I will say that I accompanied Tom on his 1992 Voyager XII on the downhill leg. I did make the return leg solo and averaged 10 mph faster. The leg with Tom would be closer to my pace on the KZ. If I was still not a working stiff and had more free time. I would just run this flag out to the Left Coast. :evil:

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Jul 2013 23:43 #595927

• 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Any chance this could help move the flag???

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/589779...r-summer-trip#595384
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 10 Jul 2013 23:55 #595929

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck

650ed wrote: Any chance this could help move the flag???

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/589779...r-summer-trip#595384

Possibly.... Begs the question why this new member has not been directed to The Relay Threads? :unsure:

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Jul 2013 00:06 #595932

• 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I don't know, but it might be worth PM'ing him and goodfastncheap (I think he still has the flag?) to see if something can be set up. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Jul 2013 00:33 #595939

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
I am not comfortable endorsing a novice rider travel 1,000 miles on his own let alone on a vintage bike with a flag when even experienced riders have not stepped up. I can help him locally and possibly long haul.

Footnote: I really appreciate his enthusiasm and attitude.

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Jul 2013 00:59 #595944

• jeffasaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44

grantorinobro wrote: Eh!

take off eh was good having a brew in malone with ya
78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Jul 2013 21:30 #596070

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
So finally, the truth comes out? You are a tip touching turd punching and enjoying watching "The World's Fastest Indian" while you fap away.

trianglelaguna wrote: I will be able to join in also,but first i need to build a forge and melt down some beer cans and then make piston molds,and then maybe carve some cams out of some tracor axles...other than that it should be ready to go by friday..of course friday is when we get together and play poker and the guys loose all their clothes and we drink grape soda....maybe saturday would be better...oh oh, saturday i promised to give my boss a car wash and maybe mow his lawn ,so maybe sunday,but really....sunday is no good for me because.....

kz "rider"

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Jul 2013 21:53 #596078

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
OK! You guys don't know Forrest or Saxjonz very well. Now, my kz isn't finished yet and only due to financial issues cause I have seriously overextended myself but I have a roadworthy bike and if Forrest is up for the ride to make it "legal" then I will ride with him all the way to Helen back. :whistle: Of course I would go all the way for those of you timid riders who post about riding yet may be a bit skeered about the daunting task. I do, afterall, have family in Cali. I will go all the way on my bike this week coming up if those of you who ride the ride agree with the fact that I am a KZ owner who's bike is being returned to better than new status but the timing is bad. Forrest and I will save the day. Just because we ride for whatever reason. Why? Cause that's who we are. I would do a double iron butt just because I know I have the will power to do it. You guys talk about doing things, it's time to play Tom Cruise and once in awhile you just have to say, "Fawk it!" It is what it is. Just say the word and it will happen.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

KZ Relay Ride GOTO http://VintageKawasakiRelay.com 11 Jul 2013 22:12 #596083

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
drunk again aye Larry
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife