• Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
OK I'm in, so far :blink:
I hope I'm ready.
My goal is March some time.
JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bluej58.

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 02:39 #494683

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Just spotted this topic and love it.Im in mass. and would love to join in on this.
RON
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 10:28 #494699

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133

ronnieV wrote: Just spotted this topic and love it.Im in mass. and would love to join in on this.
RON

Ronnie, that's great we could use a little help in the New England area. Either add yourself to the map: g.co/maps/jw7te or let us know what city you are in and one of us will add you.
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 10:57 #494705

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
I think it's time to start planning the East Coast leg of this run in earnest.

Those of us on the East Coast are going to have a lot to talk about when trying to work out who's doing what/when and I don't want to clutter up an already long thread with all those logistical details.

So I've started a new thread for this purpose.

As we make decisions I'll be sure to update this thread so the whole group will stay informed.

I'm willing to coordinate this East Coast leg, but someone else is going need to pick it up after that. The flag is either going to end up in Newfoundland or Miami at the end of our leg. We haven't decided which yet. So another KZRider member will need to take it on after that.

I expect we'll cover the following states/provinces on our leg of the run.

Newfoundland
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia (?)
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

West Virginia is iffy. It's not really East Coast, but we don't have any riders from there signed up yet. We could probably dip into WVA just to make sure it gets done, otherwise it'll fall to hypnohio or someone else in southern OH to do it.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 11:46 #494709

• 650ed
  • 650ed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Topper wrote: I think it's time to start planning the East Coast leg of this run in earnest.

Those of us on the East Coast are going to have a lot to talk about when trying to work out who's doing what/when and I don't want to clutter up an already long thread with all those logistical details.

As we make decisions I'll be sure to update this thread so the whole group will stay informed.

I'm willing to coordinate this East Coast leg, but someone else is going need to pick it up after that. The flag is either going to end up in Newfoundland or Miami at the end of our leg. We haven't decided which yet. So another KZRider member will need to take it on after that.

Newfoundland
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia (?)
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

West Virginia is iffy. It's not really East Coast, but we don't have any riders from there signed up yet. We could probably dip into WVA just to make sure it gets done, otherwise it'll fall to hypnohio or someone else in southern OH to do it.

I believe Cobura was going to help in WV...

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/476759...an-relay-ride#477011
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 13:32 #494722

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 293
Im in springfield mass. area and will help if needed.I tried adding myself to the map but couldnt.
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 13:42 #494724

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443

Topper wrote: I think it's time to start planning the East Coast leg of this run in earnest.

Newfoundland
New Brunswick
Nova Scotia
Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia (?)
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

Hey Topper, why don't you PM all the riders on the east coast route and get their status. Some my not have their bikes ready, so you can get a time line with regards to the rider's response and commitment. For example, my bike is in the process of being painted. Will still need a month to sort everything else out (new forks, go over the breaks and some reliability test runs). But each individual rider can give you their own status and you can plan with more information at hand. They can also suggest on what they are willing (how many miles) they can ride or who they would like to pass the flag onto with regards to the KZR'er closest to them. I was looking at the map and can hook up with Jydog in GA (6 hrs 19 min away from me), I can meet him half way. Halfway would be a 6 1/2 round trip for me. Doable for me as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully the 900 is up to task. Or, I evan wouldn't mind meeting in Savannah. Anyhow, just my .02
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

KZ North American Relay Ride? 26 Dec 2011 13:45 #494725

• KZJOE900
  • Admin

ronnieV wrote: Im in springfield mass. area and will help if needed.I tried adding myself to the map but couldnt.

Hi Ronnie, you have to have a google account and be signed into it at the time you go to the rally map. Then you will see an red edit button. You can see my instructions in one of my prior posts on this thread. Good luck.

Joe
76 KZ900
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

KZ North American Relay Ride? 27 Dec 2011 09:32 #494826

• jydog
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
KZJOE900, I might be able to meet you in Panama City Beach FL providing I get my bike done in time and it is in good enough shape to ride 250 miles back home. Maybe enaz1 could meet me in Griffn GA. A Panama City Beach to Biloxi leg is another possibility for me also. That might be a little closer for you and a nice trip along the coast.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Last edit: by jydog.

KZ North American Relay Ride? 27 Dec 2011 10:34 #494831

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
Kzjoe and jydog, see the new thread (linked above) for working out the East Coast leg of this.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ North American Relay Ride? 27 Dec 2011 10:57 #494832

• KZJOE900
  • Admin

jydog wrote: KZJOE900, I might be able to meet you in Panama City Beach FL providing I get my bike done in time and it is in good enough shape to ride 250 miles back home. Maybe enaz1 could meet me in Griffn GA. A Panama City Beach to Biloxi leg is another possibility for me also. That might be a little closer for you and a nice trip along the coast.

Sure, Panama City would mean an 11 hour round trip for me. Two hours more than meeting you half way up the I75. But a heck of a lot more interesting. So what are you proposing JYDog, that we meet for Spring Break in Panama City? B) Not sure if my wife would allow that, hehehehehhe. But in all seriousness, as long as the bike is up to it, I'm up to it. Maybe flyndrive and Boostable can chime in on what they would like to do. Maybe Boostable can do a leg with flyndrive, then I can meet Boostable for the exchange. Then onward to Panama. Boostable? Panama is within range for you as well, isn't it? :) I will repost this message on the east coast thread. But just wanted to put it here as well so people who have been following this thread can keep abreast of what is going on.

Joe
76 KZ900
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

KZ North American Relay Ride? 28 Dec 2011 12:53 #494981

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
Need your thoughts on something. If the flag ends up at the end of one leg of the ride in some remote place isolated from other riders (like Newfoundland ) can we ship it to it's next destination or does it have to make the whole trip on two wheels?

Over in the East Coast thread it's been pointed out that they do this with the Olympic torch.

The flag would still be ridden on a vintage kaw in every state (and hopefully Canadian provideces too). We just might get some assistance from UPS to connect different legs of the ride.

It makes a difference in when/where we can start.

Ok? Or not Ok?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ North American Relay Ride? 30 Dec 2011 13:46 #495300

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
  • Thank you received: 19
I still think there should be a photo taken each time it is passed from one rider to the next so there can be a visual record of the event here on KZR. Though it might not always be possible but if the exchange could happen in front of some signage for either the state or a city with the states name on it then that would be great!

Also, looking at the listing of east coast states it would appear that the direction of travel for the flag will be pretty much a straight north to south down the seaboard.

So would the next leg be mostly south to north;

Alabama
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
West Virginia
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana

The only problem I see is that some states have several wanting to participate so that makes the route a bit of a challenge.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

KZ North American Relay Ride? 30 Dec 2011 14:14 #495304

• Topper
  • Platinum Member

KZ_Rage wrote: Also, looking at the listing of east coast states it would appear that the direction of travel for the flag will be pretty much a straight north to south down the seaboard.

That's still an open question. We can't start until May if we go North to South. We could start a lot sooner if we went South to North, but the flag gets stuck up in Newfoundland.

That's why I asked about shipping. Any thoughts on that?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

KZ North American Relay Ride? 30 Dec 2011 17:59 #495329

• KZ_Rage
  • User
I don't think shipping it will endear it as much as to what this is all about. At least on the east side of the Mississippi there shouldn't be a need to ship it as it can weave back and forth if needed, changing hands in the same state even if that allows more participants would seem to be OK to me. It's about the journey not the destination of the token.

Once you're out in the great plains the issue of shipping it might be bigger but given time there might be enough people to cover even that area.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

KZ North American Relay Ride? 31 Dec 2011 14:21 #495454

• Flyndrive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Is Placemark 46 a rider or just a point someone happened to put on the map? If its not a rider can it be deleted?
1980 KZ 550A1
1985 GPZ 900R

KZ North American Relay Ride? 31 Dec 2011 16:05 #495467

• KZ_Rage
  • User
Ok, there is a second thread for the 1st leg of the relay located here 1st Leg

I threw my hat in the ring to organize the next leg to cover the last of the east of the Mississippi states/provinces in the 1st leg post.

If the seaboard leg is going to go south to north ending in Newfoundland and if a reverse trip isn't doable then it might be better to ship it to boatdrinks in Alabama to start the second leg from the south to north.

If it travels north to south the second leg would be much easier to route but the shipping idea will work too.

Unless someone else would like to take the second leg then here is possible route;

Shipped to Alabama;

Alabama – boatdrinks
Mississippi – boatdrinks meet KraZy Chris
Tennessee – KraZy Chris meet Ramtough_63
Kentucky – Ramtough_63 meet Bike Shop (need to confirm is real person)
Ohio – Bike Shop meet KZ Rage
West Virginia – KZ Rage meet hypnohio
Pennsylvania – hypnohio meet (Placemark 44?, or preferably another in the Pittsburgh area)
Ontario – PA volunteer meet teK9iNe, rstnick, jack
Michigan - teK9iNe, rstnick, jack meet harm
Indiana – harm meet koolaid kid

At this point the third leg could begin but if desired Illinois could be part of the second leg. Having boatdrinks pass it off to KraZy Chris in Mississippi gives us that state unless a volunteer from Mississippi comes forward. If one should come forward then that person can pass it to KraZy Chris. Bike Shop needs to be confirmed as a real person but if not then I will meet Ramtough_63. The Ontario contingent will have to decide if they want to do it as a group or pass it amongst themselves until heading it south. I will seek out members of KZR in the missing or long stretch areas to see if they would like to join it on this to help reduce some of the distances.

I would appreciate hearing from those listed if they are (1) OK with me taking on organizing this leg, (2) are in for sure and (3) having any suggestions or issues with the route of the relay on the 2nd leg.
1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)

Last edit: by KZ_Rage.

KZ North American Relay Ride? 31 Dec 2011 21:15 #495510

• KraZy Chris
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

KZ_Rage wrote: Ok, there is a second thread for the 1st leg of the relay located here 1st Leg

I threw my hat in the ring to organize the next leg to cover the last of the east of the Mississippi states/provinces in the 1st leg post.

If the seaboard leg is going to go south to north ending in Newfoundland and if a reverse trip isn't doable then it might be better to ship it to boatdrinks in Alabama to start the second leg from the south to north.

If it travels north to south the second leg would be much easier to route but the shipping idea will work too.

Unless someone else would like to take the second leg then here is possible route;

Shipped to Alabama;

Alabama – boatdrinks
Mississippi – boatdrinks meet KraZy Chris
Tennessee – KraZy Chris meet Ramtough_63
Kentucky – Ramtough_63 meet Bike Shop (need to confirm is real person)
Ohio – Bike Shop meet KZ Rage
West Virginia – KZ Rage meet hypnohio
Pennsylvania – hypnohio meet (Placemark 44?, or preferably another in the Pittsburgh area)
Ontario – PA volunteer meet teK9iNe, rstnick, jack
Michigan - teK9iNe, rstnick, jack meet harm
Indiana – harm meet koolaid kid

At this point the third leg could begin but if desired Illinois could be part of the second leg. Having boatdrinks pass it off to KraZy Chris in Mississippi gives us that state unless a volunteer from Mississippi comes forward. If one should come forward then that person can pass it to KraZy Chris. Bike Shop needs to be confirmed as a real person but if not then I will meet Ramtough_63. The Ontario contingent will have to decide if they want to do it as a group or pass it amongst themselves until heading it south. I will seek out members of KZR in the missing or long stretch areas to see if they would like to join it on this to help reduce some of the distances.

I would appreciate hearing from those listed if they are (1) OK with me taking on organizing this leg, (2) are in for sure and (3) having any suggestions or issues with the route of the relay on the 2nd leg.

Sounds pretty good KZ_RAGE, I am willing to help any way possible. Im fine with you getting it organized. Maybe you should start a 2nd led thread like some have done with the 1st leg thread. Also to cover all your questions I'm In!
78 KZ1000, Middle TN

KZ North American Relay Ride? 02 Jan 2012 12:45 #495833

• KZCM
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally have a working bike so count me in. I can run east/ west on I-10 or north / south on I-65 or any of the back roads to connect up with someone. Looks like we need a lot more of the southern corridor folks to check in.
1977 KZ1000 - Wish I still had it
1980 KZ1000E2 - My project

KZ North American Relay Ride? 02 Jan 2012 17:06 #495875

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
Congrats on the bike! Glad to see you put yourself on the map. There are several riders from FL you should connect with but no one up in the panhandle.

Maybe with you involved we can add Mississippi and Alabama to the East Coast run.

Check out the East Coast leg thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/49...n-american-relay-run

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys