Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 20 Jun 2016 21:55 #732196

• larriken
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Awesome build, thanks for sharing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWEKZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 21 Jun 2016 13:01 #732274

• Rustyhama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
I love what you've done with the back end! I had a similar bike and man I hated that seat! Some sort of brat style seat was where I wanted to go too. I don't want to be negative but... I thought the bike was looking awesome with the original paint scheme and expected you to fix the the dents and replicate it. But grey green brown? Gloss? I really have to question that colour or non-colour. I've looked at literally hundreds of brat - tracker - scrambler photos. One of the styles I like is the quasi army style which might be where you're trying to go. For that you'd want to go 'olive drap' basically matte army green. Then you could do an awesome brown leather brat seat and brown Biltwell grips, maybe throw on some dual purpose tires. Ha ha that's the bike I wanted to build! Awesome work with everything else though!
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 21 Jun 2016 15:58 #732289

• mslevin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Any chance you could give me some more info on your bar controls? They look great. I like the integrated killswitch/starter button. I'm looking to replace my controls on my KZ1000P, don't really need all the switches for the lights and sirens anymore!
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 21 Jun 2016 22:16 #732375

• SWEKZ
  • SWEKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Haha, like your honesty Rustyhama :laugh: I "kinda"like the greyish but I ain't getting a "wow feeling" either. No I was not going for the military look, just wanted a colour that I think would work with brown leather. Need to repaint it anyways so I have all winter to figure that out, and it's a long winter in Sweden hehe.

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 21 Jun 2016 22:21 #732376

• SWEKZ
  • User
They are the original ones which I gave a good cleaning and then used a product for touching up old plastic (think it was a turtle wax product) , worked great! Looked up which models that's supposed to have the same controls, happy hunting :P

Attachment Deladekomponenter.JPG not found

Attachments:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 23 Jun 2016 09:50 #732516

• SWEKZ
  • User
Started to work with the seat pan today, a bit tricky to get all the clearances made and covered, but it's moving forward! Will continue this on saturday if not too "tired" after midsummer festival. :P

Attachment dsc_1128(1).jpg not found

Attachments:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 27 Jun 2016 00:24 #732982

• SWEKZ
  • User
So, waited until sunday with finishing the seat pan =) Reinforced the weak parts with some strips and added 2 push locks.

Attachment 2016-06-2613.57.13.jpg not found

Next step is to call the saddlemaker and check which day I can leave the bike, hopefully I can leave it early this week! Meanwhile the bike is at the saddlemaker I plan to start with the carbs - cleaning, jets etc. ;)
Attachments:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 28 Jun 2016 14:29 #733174

• mslevin
  • User
I see you have your speedo where your ignition should be. Where are you relocating it? Thinking of doing something similar on mine, the ignition assembly takes up a fair amount of space up front.

Also, digging the Oury grips! I was thinking about whether or not those would work on a bike. In my experience, they can degrade and get kind of sticky after a while.
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 03 Jul 2016 22:32 #733747

• SWEKZ
  • User
Yes it does and it's quite ugly! :P I relocated the ignition to be hidden under the seat, between the battery and the electrical compartment, the ignition switch I have now is a bit too "deep" for my electrical compartment (in the long run it will be a risk of wearing out some wires in there) so I'm looking for a shallower one atm, the current one works though but it's not optimal. Now when I think about it I think I'll replace the current one with just a switch until I found a smaller keyed ignition hehe =) Yes, I like the look as well, but... Bought the grips when the saddle still was going to be black, changed my mind so now the saddle will be dark brown. Guess I'll have to change to brown grips now.. ;)

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 03 Jul 2016 22:44 #733749

• SWEKZ
  • User
Got the bike to the saddlemaker last tuesday, exciting! :laugh: Hopefully it's done this week. Other than that I haven't done anything really, started to feel a bit strange on the way home from the saddlemaker and it escalated until the point where I had to visit the hospital - apparentley I had a bad appendicitis which they had to cut out. Feels good that that little bugger can't bother me in the future now hehe! :laugh: Will clean the carbs and change the jets this week, ordered a whole a bunch of different jet sizes from Z1enterprises. Think I will start out with +1 pilot jet and +3 main jet and then take it from there once the bike's back home.

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 15 Aug 2016 06:50 #738729

• SWEKZ
  • User
So, I think it's time to update this thread =)

I built a manometer to sync the carbs, worked really good! I inserted 1 pilotjet in each hose to take care of the pulses, the fluid was very steady and it was easy to read. Also, I learned that it is a pain in the ass to tighten the lock nuts without moving the screws once the settings are good!.. :sick: I ended up with having to remove the carbs, tighten the lock nuts and then put them back on and do the readings again, anyone has any tips on this? ;) After that I rejetted which took me quite some time, the starting point at +3 main jet was way off hehe

Attachment rezized_1.jpg not found

I'm real happy of how the saddle turned out, also, at first I wasn't fully satisfied with the color on the gas tank, but now with the brown leather I think it matched up really good and are very happy! I've ridden about 400 km so far and the riding position worked out really well too B)

Attachment rezized_2.jpg not found

Still some things to fix, among other things I need to make a permanent solution for the rear light, think I need to make a small fender under the rear light so that I don't get mud all over my back hehe. The licence plate is now moved to sit behind the rear brake caliper, still need to wire lights for that.
Attachments:

KZ750 L4 - café-/ brat project 15 Aug 2016 07:56 #738737

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
here is the secret to getting those lock nuts tight.

www.motionpro.com/product/08-0022

bike turned out nice.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0