Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 02 Nov 2011 12:30 #486695

• sweetbro
  • sweetbro's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I think I am going to do the wiring on the outside. Im not tryin to get too crazy. Although I may mount most of the controls on the bike. Perhaps make a custom switch and button board. Cause really, the only thing you need on the bar is the turn signal, perhaps brights. Starter and kill switch can totally be on the bike frame or somethin.

I guess there is gonna be a lot of unwiring all the extra cop crap that I dont need anymore. I bet someone on here has gone thru all that. Anyone know of any good threads?

Also, what are my best options for footpegs? Instead of those big platforms?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 02 Nov 2011 12:37 #486696

• kcornell6
  • User

sweetbro wrote: I think I am going to do the wiring on the outside. Im not tryin to get too crazy. Although I may mount most of the controls on the bike. Perhaps make a custom switch and button board. Cause really, the only thing you need on the bar is the turn signal, perhaps brights. Starter and kill switch can totally be on the bike frame or somethin.

I guess there is gonna be a lot of unwiring all the extra cop crap that I dont need anymore. I bet someone on here has gone thru all that. Anyone know of any good threads?

Also, what are my best options for footpegs? Instead of those big platforms?

Going through exactly the same thing right now. Trying to look around for people who have gone through it already. So much useless wiring to deal with. I'm going to put all the electronics on one side and just get rid of the other.

THIS can help you out a bit.

And I'm thinking about using old bmx pegs as footpegs.

V/R

Kev
96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 04 Nov 2011 04:08 #486945

• sweetbro
  • User
Few things, first, got the filters, um, they look GREAT!!!

Havent got jets yet, local shop should have those.

Also, I ordered and received this tail light , I will be mounting it this weekend.

I also ordered these turn signals . I really dig the shape, kinda plain and old, for LEDs.

I also pulled out the crank case vent system, they call it a PAIR system on street bikes. I just put rubber caps on the top of the valve covers. I forgot to take pictures, I will post one tomorrow.

Now I have a question. I am stripping extra wiring off the bike. I pulled the radio stuff, also, someone had wired in extra horn stuff, pulled that too.

I had a bad stator and replaced that. Bike ran fine for a while, then it stopped chargering. I know it was charging, cause I put a meter on it right after I put the stator in. ANyway, I bought a new voltage regulator, no dice. So I have a few questions. First, what is the repay in the red circle?

It isnt on the wiring diagram, that I could find, it was not fully plugged in. It is now, ha.

Next question, on my right bar control, I have the headlight switch, the kill switch and another switch that has "off" "M" and "P". What is that? Where should I have that set? Could that be stopping the bike from chargering? Also, I found some corrosion on the bullet connectors on some of the wiring under the seat. It was way too late to see if anything is fixed and it is charging yet, but I will check this weekend.

Any help will be great! Opinions too.

-Josh

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 04 Nov 2011 13:43 #486990

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
one thing to remember when doing custom wiring and control elimination,is that when your starter button is mounted anywhere but on your bars and you kill it(say taking off from a light)you are not going to be able to just pull the clutch in and hit the button and go again.

you are going to have to find neutral and remove at least one hand from the bars to opereate the button,while dumba$$e$ are trying to (hopefully)keep from running over you.

i have a buddy with a kz chopper and his starter button is right under his ass,i have seen the exact scenario i just described play out and he wants to do something different now.
just a thought,

keep us posted.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 04 Nov 2011 13:58 #486993

• sweetbro
  • User
Hum, that is a good point! I did realize something last night as well, I have to have at least 2 wires running up the right side, for the brake light switch. So if I am gonna have that, I can do the starter button. I plan to run 3 wires up the left bar for the turn signal as well. 3 wires isnt much, maybe I will go inside the bar. I could do a shared power for the brake light and starter button, yea? We will see. I just dont want to have big ol' control clusters. 1 small switch mounted to the clutch lever perch for the turn signal and 1 small button mounted to the brake perch, should be pretty clean. Of course I will post what I do. I was happy to see that the entire left control plugs into the main harness under the tank. It will be super easy to make that plug into a switch/button plate under the tank.

Hopefully after cleaning stuff my charging problem will be fixed.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 01:17 #487353

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Police frame:

Attachment Policebikeframe.png not found

1980 shaft frame:

Attachment 1980shaftframe.png not found

Would the standard foot controls from a shaftie fit on a police bike?
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive
Attachments:

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 02:23 #487370

• sweetbro
  • User
Sadly, I'm gonna say that neither would fit on the other. Sorry man.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 02:32 #487372

• sweetbro
  • User
Update tho, it seems I blew out my new stator.

A month old and the windings came lose and got between the stator and the magnets. Needless to say, they no longer work.

But, I did get my tail light on, also, cut the rear frame down. Here is pics of the bike and a vid of the tail light/turn signals. These are some fancy Rizoma turn signals that are left overs from my street bike.

This is with the stock bars still on it, I get the new bars tomorrow.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 02:55 #487374

• Chaotic Reason
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
After a month? That sucks! But the shape of everything is coming along nicely and the tail light works, so that's a bonus. :) Have you gotten in contact with the company about the stator? They might be able to send you a replacement.
Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 07 Nov 2011 13:44 #487423

• sweetbro
  • User
I sent them an email, so hopefully I will hear back from them soon. We will see.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 08 Nov 2011 13:24 #487606

• sweetbro
  • User
The company does warranty their stators. I am sending it back today. So that is good.

Also, I got the handlebars yesturday. I think I like the flat ones. I will take pics when I get them on. I got the headlight on there too. Basically, I got everything ready to ride again, when I get the stator, I will be all good.

KZ1000 Police conversion to cafe custom 08 Nov 2011 15:24 #487623

• kcornell6
  • User
Did you ever end up working with the wiring harness and tearing out all the crap? I'm in the process right now with colorful wires strung everywhere around the ride.

V/R

Kev
96' KZ1000P Bobbed
81 GS850L