KZrider Archives Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 1979 KZ650SR Carburetor Repair Kits - Help please!
BeeGee

Mood: Psyched!

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 19:35
1979 KZ650SR Carburetor Repair Kits - Help please!

As a new member of what seems to be a very active forum, I find myself in dire need of some street-wise help. My bike is a 1979 KZ650-D2 (SR Model) with the original MIKUNI VM24SS carbs. Nowhere can I find carburetor repair kits that are designated for my D2. I note the VM24SS carburetor is used in other KZ650 models, such as the B, C and D1 series. The same kit is used on these models and is readily available. Shouldn't these kits be compatible with my D2 model series as well? The same carb is used. The Keyster Cab Kit # KK-0041 at Siriusconinc.com is a good example. Another example is the Carb Repair Kit # 18-2429 available from Cruiserplus.com. Should there be any difference in carburetor parts between a 1978 D1 and my 1979 D2? All engine and carburetor specs seem to be identical. The two sources I have mentioned here have thus far stalled on my requests for info on this subject. I'm sure someone else in this Forum with a 1979 KZ650SR has stumbled through the same conflict and solved it. Except for the carb internals, my bike is almost cherry. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ... Brent

[Edited on 27-3-2005 by BeeGee]
KZitch

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 19:40

Try here:
http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KZ650-D2-1979-CF0

'76 KZ400S
"I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder." - Steven Wright
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member KZitch's Aim
KZ_Kat
Posting Freak

Mood: Hauling Ass!

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 19:53

Welcome to the forum.
I've got an SR and like it a lot.

Don't really need kits. Just a service manual. Can get one on ebay. Take carbs apart and clean thoroughly. Inspect parts for abnormal wear. Replace damaged stuff if needed. Be careful and you won't even need gaskets.

Z1 enterprises is the best bet for parts. You can't go wrong with kits though, go ahead if you got the extra $$$.

You might want to just send those carbs to our own wiredgeorge for rebuilding too. Lots of satisfied customers here.

Good Luck. Post a pic of your bike when you can. We like pics here. :D

1979 KZ650sr- Black Lacquer, Piped, Jetted, K&N Pod Filters

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries
in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming -
WOO HOO! What a Ride!
BeeGee

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 19:58

Thanks for lightning fast response. I just went to the Z1 Enterprises site and ended with same results. They do not list a Carb Rebuild Kit for the '79 D2. They do list ... Carburetor rebuild kit KZ650 1977-78 - Fits Kawasaki KZ650B1/B2/B2A/C1/C2/D1/D1A. I'll contact them as well and see if they have any inside scoop on this problem.
rstnick
Postaholic

Mood: Ah! Riding .

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 20:07

Welcome to KZR BeeGee. Nice to see ( or hope to see, Pic that is :D) another 650 here. Hope you get your carb issues sorted out.

[Edited on 3/27/2005 by rstnick]

Rob.

'78 KZ650 C2, riding after 10 year nap.pics here
'79 KZ650 C3, parting out.
Southern Ontario Kawasaki Riders Group

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/rstnick/Kawicalvin.jpg[/img]
KZ_Kat
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 20:07

Jeff of Z1 is a forum member here. You just tell him what you want and he will get you the right parts for your bike.

wiredgeorge is also a member here of good repute. He seems to be able to set up carbs to run perfect out of the box. I think he actually adjusts them on a test bike. Some find this to be a good solution. They can be tricky to get adjusted right. If interested you can contact him [url=http://kzrider.com/forum/member.php?action=viewpro&member=wiredgeorge]here.[/url]

WOO HOO! What a Ride!
BeeGee

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 20:19

Can't find 'Jeff of Z1' in the Member List.
N0NB
Posting Freak

Mood: 1 year+!

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 20:41

The actual carb kit for the D2 is the same as the D1/A with the only difference being the accelerator pump which is a seperate kit. I see them on eBay quite frequently. So, what you're looking for is four VM24SS carb kits and one VM24SS accelerator kit.

HTH,

- Nate >>

[Edited on 27 Mar 2005 by N0NB]

Nate's vintage bike axiom #1: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.

My motorcycle and POR-15 pages.
1979 KZ650SR (New pix, old pix)
1979 KL250 (next project a.k.a sink hole for excess cash)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
KZ_Kat
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 21:01

[quote][i]Originally posted by BeeGee[/i]
Can't find 'Jeff of Z1' in the Member List. [/quote]

Here you go. [url=http://kzrider.com/forum/member.php?action=viewpro&member=Jeff.Saunders]Jeff[/url]

WOO HOO! What a Ride!
BeeGee

biggrin.gif posted on 26-3-2005 at 21:08
Carburetor Repair Kits

Now we're getting somewhere! I'm both impressed and Psyched!! Thanks soooo much!!! You guys have all been the best. I'll post a pic of my bike tomorrow as well. Can't wait to get this over with and on the road again. Special thanks to [b]NOMB[/b]. I'm now a very happy member and will make efforts to stay active in this forum. You've all got my vote! Brent
KZitch

[*] posted on 26-3-2005 at 23:36

Nice. I'm glad you got your answer BeeGee. Good luck with that carb! I keep mine under my pillow when its not in use... but you gotta remember to drain the float bowl first or you'll wake up with a headache.

'76 KZ400S
"I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder." - Steven Wright
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member KZitch's Aim
N0NB
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 05:22

I decided to poke around a bit more at [url=http://z1enterprises.com/]Z1 Enterprises[/url] and see that the complete carb kits are listed in the D1A section. Looking at the picture, everything appears to be correct (from memory--so don't trust it ;) ). The kit even ships with four jet sizes (stock is 97.5). Following the D2 model link you will find the accelerator pump kit. Since you're rebuilding your carbs, it would be a good time to rebuild your petcock as those diaphragms are likely cracked and stretched.

I see that they have the inlet hoses (between the airbox and carbs) for about $40 which is about $5 cheaper than I got them for from Bike Bandit last year. I think they are almost twice as much from the local Kawasaki dealer.

[b]Unsolicited testimonial:[/b]

I had been looking for a new chain for my 650 SR on one of the well-known parts houses. I decided to see what Z1 Enterprises offered and was very pleased to find that for the price of the same brand of chain from the large parts house I could buy the chain, a rear sprocket, and a clip style connecting link, with shipping! I placed my order on Monday morning (March 21st) and by the end of the day received an order confirmation and package tracking emails. I received the order on Thursday (the 24th) and it was exactly what I had ordered from the web page and was professionally packed.

It was my first order with them and I am a very satisified customer.

Happy Easter!

- Nate >>

[Edited on 27 Mar 2005 by N0NB]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alonicus

Mood: Getting there

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 06:28

If it helps any, here's a sumary of what I've learned about Z650 carbs from lots of other posts & threads on here....

Seems that until the later models which got cv carbs, all the Z650s / KZ650s / SR650s, from B to D models got Mikuni VM24's. However, there were several different models of the carbs, and Kawasaki just seem to have fitted whatever they had on the shelf that day without too much reference to the sub-model of bike they were sticking them on.

Seems the most significant difference in carb models was whether they had air adjuster screws (at the top rear side of thre carb body) or pilot adjuster screws (underneath at the front). As far as I can make out, they both do the same job of setting the air/fuel mix of the pilot jets, just at different points in the system.

NONB is right that 97.5 was standard main jet size for many, but don't take it for granted - I've come across anything up to 105's fitted as standard. I guess Kawasaki did some tuning & set-up at the point of manufacture. It's also quite possible that some previous owner will have up-jetted if they have fitted a non-standard exhaust or pods.

Have a look at some of the (many) carb threads on here, and you'll find plenty of helpful info ! Also, have a read of the carb set-up article in the technical tips section, it's really helpful !

Good luck :D
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member Alonicus's Yahoo
Jeff.Saunders
Posting Freak

Mood: ride ride ride

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 08:24

The 77-78 carb kits will probably contain most of what's needed for the 79 carbs.

Late 78 and 79 produced a great variety of carb configurations in the USA. Kawasaki was struggling to meet EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) requirements and seems to have been playing with many different setups.
There are 6 different sets of carbs listed for the 78 models and 3 of these 6 listed for the 79 models - some are airscrew, some are fuel screw. The 77-78 kits have jets for both.

I did a quick check of the 79 SR carb parts versus the 78 carb parts and the interchange is pretty much complete.

The key components are the same - gaskets & float valve assy

Where there may be a difference is the needle - the 79 carbs show the following
5CN15
5CL10
5CL16

The 78 carbs show the same three needles, but also
5DL3

The carb kits don't specify which needle is included - but typically the needle is one something most people need to change anyway - plus the changes in taper are going to be minute...

[Edited on 27-3-2005 by Jeff.Saunders]

jeff@z1enterprises.com
http://www.z1enterprises.com

2 x 73 Z1's (one turbo'd), 1 x 74, 1 x 76 KZ900, some Honda's (CB750's and CB550), a Suzuki GS750
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Jeff.Saunders's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
BeeGee

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 11:05
New Pics

You guys are the greatest! A wealth of information you have here. Thanks again! I'll have further questions & input as time passes. As promised - Two pics of Life's Pleasures: 1979 KZ650SR + 2003 MINI-S

[Edited on 27-3-2005 by BeeGee]

[Edited on 3/27/2005 by BeeGee]

BeeGee has attached this image:
img-1111953524.jpg - 0.00 B
wiredgeorge
KZ King

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 13:26

Jeff, I am not sure what jet needles would be included but I suspect they are branded proprietary with a Yxx badge... I think it is Y98 or something. This is a replacement for the 5DL31 jet needle made by the manufacturer in Japan. I have measured the aftermarket needle at the 5 points generally recognized as standard and it is real close to the 5DL31. The 5DL31 is a best all around performer of any of the VM24 jet needles IMHO... it is a tad longer and thinner where the 5Cxx gaggles of jet needles are shorter and far more tapered and fatter coming out of the jet needle to provide the leanness the EPA was looking for.

wiredgeorge

lesho@bigfoot.com
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/wiredgeorge

Two 1976 KZ900A4s
1982 CB900 Custom
1988 Voyager XII
VROC 2420
CMA 74623
Venturers 147/Chaplain
Mico TX
KZ_Kat
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 19:45

For the record, my bike came with 95's. I've got 97.5s in it now and it is a bit lean I think. I plan to jump 2 sizes just for chuckles. I also changed the other jets, whatcha call em.....intermediates? and raised the needles too.
Your bike looks stock however, so those 97.5s might be just about right for you. How do the plugs look? White, tan, or black?

WOO HOO! What a Ride!
BeeGee

[*] posted on 27-3-2005 at 20:33

Hi KZ ... Bike's not running right now. I pulled it out the other day, got it started and it is running like S#@%. I had the Carburetors overhauled about 4 years ago. It has run like $#@% since then. The place that did the work didn't seem to have a handle on sourcing parts for the internals. Anyway, the plugs quickly fowl (black) and bike runs $#@%y until it totally warms up. Clean the plugs - runs ok - then $#@%y once more w/fouled blackened plugs. An never ending cycle. Now I feel it's time to get the job done right with the right parts and the right mechanic. But - Who's the right mechanic in this area? I'm not qualified, nor do I have the expertise to rebuild the carbs myself. So ... my quest began a few days ago to find out what the correct parts are for these carbs. I believe I do know now. Now, do I take this bike to a local and make sure he rebuilds it with correct parts and hope for the best? (or) Do I have the carbs removed and ship them out to 'wiredgeorge', have it done correctly, then have them reinstalled? (or) Do I have the carbs removed, purchase rebuilt carbs from 'wiredgeorge' for $210+ and have the new ones installed? The last two options are most likely the wisest. As you note - the bike's IMHO in great shape both physically and cosmetically. The carb internals is of most concern. Also, it has a minuscule 9,500 miles on it and has always been garaged. Some minor cosmetic pitting here & there but nothing of consequence. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone knows of a reputable bike shop to be trusted in the Boston area please jump in. Thanks, Brent ... PS. I'll be asking that question in a separate posting.

1979 KZ650-D2 SR (Stock-Midnight Blue)
N0NB
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 08:08

Brent, here are a couple of questions you should answer to help you make your decision: Are you using the stock airbox/air filter? Are you using the stock exhaust?

If the answer to each question is 'yes' then you can rebuild or have the carbs rebuilt to factory stock specifications and the bike should run fine.

HTH,

- Nate >>

BeeGee

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 17:34

I'm the original owner. Except for engine guards, trany guards and the rear chromed riser, the bike is original stock and hasn't been modified in any way.

Here's a couple pictures of the condition of all four plugs after no more than 50 miles. Somewhat 'RICH'!!!. This was happening immediately following the last Carb Rebuild. I'd say from my non-mechanic knowledge I've got jets installed by the last mechanic that were way off. That's why I don't trust any of the carburetor internals done by the last mechanic and it's time to get it done right.
Brent

BeeGee has attached this image:
img-1112060056.jpg - 0.00 B

Hotrod

Mood: Whiskey :D

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 18:39

I hear you saying that you are a little intimidated by trying to do it yourself.
However, having resources like Jeff.Saunders and WiredGeorge at your finger tips, combined with your own ever increasing education, I argue that no-one is better suited to doing it than you yourself. No mechanic will use as much care on your bike as you yourself would.
There is also nothing like being your very own expert on your bike. Knowing your bike like the back of your hand pays rewards in ways you will never imagine.
My recommendation to you is either to do it your self, or let WiredGeorge loose on it.
If you take your time and consult a good manual, supplemented with the wisdom and experience that is found here, you will be amazed at just how do-able it is as well as rewarding and just downright fun.*Rob Schneider voice on* " You [b]CAN[/b] do it!"
*Rob Schneider voice off*
:D:cool:

1978 KZ-650 C, ZX6 suspension, solo seat, subframe chopped, 4-1Kerker, 29 smoothbores...dreaming of an 810...
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
BeeGee

[*] posted on 28-3-2005 at 20:05

Yes Hotrod, you just hit the nail on its' head. I am intimidated by a Carb rebuild of my own. You're talking to the guy who once owned a '69 Camaro SS that, uneducated, pulled the Distributor shaft and promptly dropped a screwdriver down its gaping hole. Oh $%@& !!! Now what do I do? After much concern, frustration, time consuming labor, tender love and a little ingenuity I finally retrieved it 4 hours later - Only to find out, once the car wouldn't start, Oh $%@& !!! again, that no one told me you had to mark its position before pulling! Needless to say, much more time and Oh $%@& !!!s spent in getting it properly timed.

Anyway, possibly at this point in time it's better for me to have someone do it that knows what he's doing. This is my only bike and I want to get out on the road ASAP. I'm not sure I have the time, patience, resources, tools & equipment and fortitude to afford the learning curve that would be involved.

Your absolutely right in saying that there's a special reward in doing something yourself, especially if you didn't think you could do it in the first place. This case may be an exception for me. It may turn to becoming a nightmare of headaches rather than a pleasure.

I was at a local bike shop today talking with a couple oldies. They led me onto a small vintage bike shop that they touted very highly for quality of work. Late this afternoon I made an exploratory trip and checked him out. He's going to make his 'exploratory' trip into my carbs the week after next to see what he sees. The bike needs some other work so he agreed that, upon his results and estimates, I can use 'wiredgeorge' services combined with his, if that is what I desire. I like that idea. Wiredgeorge is highly rated by all of you and that makes me very comfortable with that option.

Sooo ... I'll post as to my results ... Brent

[Edited on 3/29/2005 by BeeGee]

KZ_Kat
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-3-2005 at 20:21

fwiw, carb rebuilding and setting is just one of many things you need to adjust and sync. Not even a good starting point.

You NEED a manual. Get a Clymers anywhere for around $25. Hit the closest dealer, they can order. Get a genuine vintage Kaw manual on ebay. Come up all the time. Maybe 10-25 bucks. Get one.

btw, around here a carb rebuild costs $200. That's EACH, $800 total. Does NOT include syncing even.

You want to pay a shop $50 an hour times 50 hours to get it close? If not, learn to do it yourself, or donate that bike to a good home and find one that takes less tinkering. Basically a new one. Why do you think so many people buy new anyway?
:D

WOO HOO! What a Ride!
N0NB
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 30-3-2005 at 04:32

KZ_Kat:

I don't like to be contradictory, but for carb work on the 650's, a Clymer manual just won't do. Recently, I've seen what appear to be two versions of the Clymer manual for the 650s on eBay. I have the one with the silver bike on the cover and it provides very little in the way of carb breakdown and rebuild and specs are non-existant. I don't know about the manual with the red bike on the cover as it may be better--I'm not going to spend my money to find out.

I have the factory service manual, part number 99924-1007-03 which covers the model years 1978 through 1980. I will try to help out and provide carb related information from it to anyone who asks since the proper factory manual is difficult to find.

I can say with certainty that even though I knew I needed to open up my carbs, I did not have the confidence to do so until I got the factory manual last summer. The Clymer I have simply lacks any useful information on the carbs therefore I cannot in good faith recommend it to anyone on this site.

- Nate >>

ronboskz650sr

Mood: kind

[*] posted on 30-3-2005 at 04:52

Wow! Thanks Nate. Question, though...How is it on valve info, specifically diagrams of the head/cam/buckets/etc? So far, I have no manual, but would like to check my valve clearances, and don't want to just go in blind, if I don't have to...especially if i need to re-shim. Most of the info seems to be here on the site, but I just want some good pics and diagrams, if possible. I overhauled a 1600 VW motor once with nothing but tools, and memory, and it was more than I want to do in my current middle-age memory state :):cool:

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

"No cool points for crashing in a cool points contest."

1979 kz650 sr:

custom paint, Air shocks/forks,maier faring,4 into 1 exhaust,seat cut down 1 inch,cafe seat and tailpiece in works, black drag bars, barend mirrors,halogen conversion, rearsets, center stand removed..Oh yeah, stuffed dog my son gave me for Christmas behind the faring, watching traffic.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top